|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance 992 question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Starchmill

Southern NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm considering purchasing a Lance truck camper, and have been looking at the 992 model. I went to my local dealer (campers inn in NH) and was told that the only truck campers made by lance that will physically fit into a chevy 3500 dually longbed, are the 1181 or 1191. He stated something about the sides of the other models not being wide enough, and even said the smaller models (like the 992) wouldn't even be able to slide into the bed of any truck with dual rear wheels. I'm sure this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but thought I'd ask you all for the skinny on it.

2 Camping Pomeranians...

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps the miscommunication is in the models that come from the factory with dually folding jack brackets as standard equipment??? Without these, NO camper of any size will fit past the dually hips.

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.

HarryBB

Big Lake Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me like he want to sell you want he has and not want you want.

'03 F350 CC 6.0PSD DRW Firestone Bags Superhitch
2003 Lance 1121 Fully Loaded incl. Solar
'94 Grand Touring SkiDoo, '95 Touring SLE SkiDoo
16 ft Northwood Troller
Crestliner Serenity 1800

Atchafalaya_man

Lafayette, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/11 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on your description of the conversation, it sounds like the salesman is not aware of swing out brackets for a dually truck, because without them, no, the camper is not going to be able to 'slide-in' to a dually.

The newer GM's have a bed that has rounded corners in the tailgate area, and they DO interfere with some campers fitting.

Up above on the rails of the bed, older trucks had rear openings that were 2 or 3 inches wider than current ones. The newer bed rails are tapered from front to back by a few inches, whereas old trucks were straight and parallel.

Some model campers fit awfully tight in new trucks because of these variations, depending on the brand/combo.

Depending upon which truck you and the salesman were speaking of, perhaps he is right for that particular combo.

More detailed info please. SOMEBODY on this forum probably has the combination of truck and camper and can tell you about it.

* This post was edited 09/25/11 10:05pm by Atchafalaya_man *

Paoli

Quesnel BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starchmill wrote:

I'm considering purchasing a Lance truck camper, and have been looking at the 992 model. I went to my local dealer (campers inn in NH) and was told that the only truck campers made by lance that will physically fit into a chevy 3500 dually longbed, are the 1181 or 1191. He stated something about the sides of the other models not being wide enough, and even said the smaller models (like the 992) wouldn't even be able to slide into the bed of any truck with dual rear wheels. I'm sure this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but thought I'd ask you all for the skinny on it.

That sales man is wrong.
Here is my 992 Lance on my 2009 Dodge Dually and I also had this camper on my GMC dually truck:

Here is the Lance 992 on our GMC Dually truck:

MTNHNTR

Olympic Mtns, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 12:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at a 2012 Lance camper worksheet (order sheet) right now. The 1181 and the 1191 come standard with swingout jack brackets. The other Lance models do not, but they are an option. Lance literature also lists the 992 as compatible with F-250/2500 and larger single-rear-wheel long bed trucks (ha-ha). That is probably what your dealer is thinking about. As long as your truck's box is the same as a single rear wheel, I would think that it would fit as long as you got the swingout brackets. However, since the Lance literature does state the 992 is for a single rear wheel truck, I would call Lance factory and verify it's use on a dually. By the way, we just ordered a new Lance 1050S.

Good luck, Ken

2000 F-350, SC, 4x4, SRW, PSD, AT, Air Bags, Edge Evolution.
2012 Lance 1050S nicely equiped
Honda EU2000i CARB Gen.

Paoli

Quesnel BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dealer told me not to put a 992 on a single rear wheel drive truck.

nm1oqrz

Trumbull CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starchmill wrote:

On the 992 make sure the slideout dinnet when it is made into a bed is long enough to fit your frame when you use it as a bed. I bought a Lance 861 and the slide out dinnet was so small it hardly fit a child.
I traded it in for a Lance 1055. Also there is another former Lance dealer in Salem NH, Polar RV 603-893-2722. Dan is the owner and thats where I bought mine. Good luck nm1oqrz

miskeeta

Cape Cod Mass U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are a new truck camper dealer and the salesperson might be new also to the swing out brackets idea

2003 F-250 Heavy Duty Torklifts and Fastguns
2003 Northern Lite Nothern

Starchmill

Southern NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies! First of all, I'm relieved to know I have options other than one of the 1100 sized models. And several of you brought up great points, Campers Inn is new to the truck camper market and therefore they don't have a lot of knowledge about them. There were only 1100 and 800 models on their lot, so he could have been trying to steer me into what they already had. I mentioned the swing-out brackets to the dealer but he insisted that even with those, it simply wouldn't fit. He did point to the flyer which mentions single rear wheel in everything up to the 1100's. He offered to check the info for me and email me but I haven't heard from him. I did write to Lance also, but it was just this past friday night and so far I haven't heard back from them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance 992 question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS