|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winnibago Vectra Diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the 1994 Winnibago Vectra diesel (230hp) underpowered for a rv weighing 18000 lbs?

CUMMINS 230HP 5.9L DIESEL
6-SPEED ALLISON TRANSMISSION

* This post was edited 09/26/11 03:51pm by jassrnj *

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All depends on how much it weighs. The 5.9 Cummins/230HP probably has a 4 spd Allison tranny instead of the 6 spd. You would be better off getting a Moderator to move this to the Class A forum.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While power requirements are certainly subjective, the OLD rule of thumb was 1 HP per 100 lbs GCW. I guess the new rule of thumb is I NEED MORE HP.

Some of the B engines were fit with the much better 6 speed transmissions, some with the reliable but fewer gears and a torque converter that was not locked up in as many gears 4 speed. Said another way, a Cummins B with Allison MD3060 6 speed in that light a coach would be fine IMO as long as you don't plan to tow a heavy toad.

That coach driven reasonably will return 10 MPG.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Beginning RVing to get qualified posts.

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jassrnj wrote:

I am considering purchasing a 1994 Vectra with a diesel motor. I have heard that it is very underpowered. I believe the diesel is rated at 230 hp.

Is it underpowered?
Welcome to RV.Net! I'll answer your question by saying yes and no! It all depends on where you will be traveling IMHO. If your going to be going up and down mountains and towing a vehicle (toad) I'll say yes. If your not going to be towing a vehicle and staying pretty much on flat ground (occasional mountain driving driving) I'll say no! Vectra are very nice coaches (I think Winnebago has changed there name several years ago to Tour) The engine you have is small but it may also maybe able to be turned up for more power. Happy Trails, Rooster

toughnut

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jassrnj wrote:

I am considering purchasing a 1994 Vectra with a diesel motor. I have heard that it is very underpowered. I believe the diesel is rated at 230 hp.

Is it underpowered?

YES do not buy this unit as its very very underpowered to say the least.DO NOT go under 300HP on any DPMH

MommaJo

Mossyrock, WA--Yuma, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a '93 Winnebago Vectra diesel, and towed a '93 Ford Explorer with no problem at all. We took it up and down mountains, and flat ground, too. Didn't really notice it back there when towing.

We both regret getting rid of it to go with something bigger (a 5th wheel), and wish we still had it.

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven a bunch of coaches with the 4 speed and they did just fine. A little doggy but since I am never in a hurry they would be suitable to me. Keep you toad light...eg under 3500 pounds.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Steelsmith

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the same setup we have in our '94 Rexhall and approximately the same weight. It gets down the road just fine, until you add a toad. I'm considering upgrading to the 'Banks' power pack. It's expensive, but it is a balanced system, one designed for all of the components used. I've been told you can make similar gains in hp & torque, by using several off the shelf components, for about half the cost.
We also have the 3060 Allison transmission with two overdrives. The Banks system is supposed to give 94hp, 214ft#'s of rear wheel torque and 12% better fuel economy. That would tune the old 5.9B motor to: 325hp and 625ft#'s of torque. Not bad for a 'B' motor! Not sure that a combination of off the shelf parts would yield those gains across the board or not (kinda doubt it)?

That's just me thinkin', I haven't done this to my coach ... yet.
Dan Stevens

toughnut

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steelsmith wrote:

This is the same setup we have in our '94 Rexhall and approximately the same weight. It gets down the road just fine, until you add a toad. I'm considering upgrading to the 'Banks' power pack. It's expensive, but it is a balanced system, one designed for all of the components used. I've been told you can make similar gains in hp & torque, by using several off the shelf components, for about half the cost.
We also have the 3060 Allison transmission with two overdrives. The Banks system is supposed to give 94hp, 214ft#'s of rear wheel torque and 12% better fuel economy. That would tune the old 5.9B motor to: 325hp and 625ft#'s of torque. Not bad for a 'B' motor! Not sure that a combination of off the shelf parts would yield those gains across the board or not (kinda doubt it)?

That's just me thinkin', I haven't done this to my coach ... yet.
Dan Stevens

your a lot better off to find a old gulfstream or beaver or whatever thats got the 325HP 8.3 at 1050lbs torque.than buy a old beater 1994 winnie with a 230HP isb and then spend who knows how much trying to make a 3 into a 9

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winnibago Vectra Diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS