|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to build a gravel RV pad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Shot-N-Az

Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks,

I seriously need to build a pad for my RV. I want to use gravel and it will be built on clay soil. It's a 40' DP, so it's a lot of weight to support.

I know squat about the "how". All I know is the "what". What can you folks tell me about what is involved and how to proceed?

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will want to have the space dug out about 6-8" for the length and with of the space you want to park the RV.....and the "driveway", if you want that to keep from sinking in raining weather...
Depending on the location, you may or may not have to install drain tile(pipes) to get water away from the area.

Once you have the area excavated and level, you have a load of sand or very small stone laid down for about half the thickness.....follow that with the stone you want to finish with. The small stone will keep the large stone from just sinking into the clay.

Another option might be to put up some 2x6 boards down the side of what you want to "pave", and then fill in with stone, as mentioned above. This saves you the hassle of excavating....but also keeps grass and such from being elimiated by excavating, so you would need to spray to kill any weeds and such.

A third option, depending on your situation, would be to have some concrete pads installed where you plan to park the RV.....figure out where the tires will sit, and then have some re-enforced concrete pads made that are a bit larger than the tire "footprint", and have those poured in place....again, probably about 6" thick. This is what I plan to do with our MH. I'll probably dress the rest of the area with stone....but the MH will sit on concrete!

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2'x2' concrete pads 8" thick with 6 pieces of 1/2" rebar within 1" of the bottom supported my jacks on the Allegro bus. We stored the Bus with all weight on the jacks and the tires just barely on the ground.

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

jliveit

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just used a good base of Berm followed by thin layer of gravel. Berm is what they use along road sides, the berm of a road and is a mix of really crushed limestone and larger limestone and it packs very hard. All my ground is clay and after 4 years I have done nothing to it.

conmoto

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had one installed for our 5th Wheel. 12" deep filled with larger rock on the bottom and then filled with smaller on top then rolled. Came out nice and will hold the weight of a large RV.

Bob/Olallawa

Kitsap Co, WA/ Bullhead City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keeping the water away from the area is a must if the soil is clay. By the time you dig out and then put in a good base course and the finish course on top you would almost be close to the cost of going with a reinforced concrete pad. Over time the concrete will hold up much better than a gravel pad.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO You need to dig at a minimun to just below any organic matter. I went 10". laid Geotex fabric. I used run o crush limestone,#2's down to stone dust,heavey on the dust. Tell your Quarry or trucking comapany that you want from the bottom of the pile. more dust and fines will make it all lock together for a real firm surface. If the truck has good access(no overhead wires!)a good driver should be able to do a decent job of speading it for you leaving only a minimum of hand finishing to do. Wet it all down real well and start rolling it.(if you don't have a lawn roller you can drive over it repeatedly moving your tires across it as you go.) You are now the proud owner of a lifetime RV pad.

jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made my own 4 concrete pads for the tires. Pads are 2.5 x 2.5'.
I'd NEVER do it again!!! Working with bags of concrete mix by hand is some SERIOUS work...bleeding fingers and all the weight! 4 ea. 80# bags per pad. I'd hire a full pad (berm)of fine crushed & hard packed limestone delivered. IMHO.

Joe & Charlotte, 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 Ford E-350 305hp V10 5speed, Jeep Wrangler & Honda Element 'TOADS'

Rusty, Rosie Dogs
Leroy's a Conure
"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!"

Tsalla Apopka

Crystal River, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In WV where it's all clay we did a driveway about 600 feet long and just graded it to a slight dome, laid down a layer of heavy landscape cloth and covered that with quarter size gravel spread by truck. Swales were put along both sides also to take the water away.
That was in 1996 and the driveway is still used every day to access the Equestrian Center that we had built.

Denny & Karen
Florida's Beautiful "Nature Coast"
Brit,TDI,BH & Claire,TDI (Belgian Sheepdogs)
Merlot - Sheltie rescue
Glady(Morgan Mare - retired),Toes & Beemer(Barn Cats-retired)
WA4OMG (Old Mangy Goat)

conmoto

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get some quotes before you believe anything being said here about price.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to build a gravel RV pad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS