|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> living in a truck camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
EMTNSTRZ

ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am thinking of trying work camping. Has anyone done this out of a truck camper? Was there any problems if so what? We live fairly simple lives and we would be outside most of the time and the small area of living quarters would not be a problem. Thanks Paul

mpfireman

Cook County Il

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like a SMALL living area, you have found the perfect RV. But have a small utility trailer with you to store excess, but necessary items.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

EMTNSTRZ

ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 6x10 trailer with my bike that will store non everyday stuff. WE have traveled by bike alot so have learned to pack light.

twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to hijack a thread but I wonder how many of us could actually be that minimalistic to live in a truck camper. I realize that to some people in third world countries it might seem like a palace. Maybe I could for a bit by myself but never with someone else; no matter how much I loved them.

Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/11 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twins89 wrote:

Not to hijack a thread but I wonder how many of us could actually be that minimalistic to live in a truck camper. I realize that to some people in third world countries it might seem like a palace. Maybe I could for a bit by myself but never with someone else; no matter how much I loved them.

It's a lot easier when you've never had a larger place of your own prior to living in it [emoticon]. Me, I'll take living in my camper any day of the week over driving in rush hour traffic, does my stress levels a world of good [emoticon].

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

bigjimcruising

Orange County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/11 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 5 years of living full time in my camper and working full time at the same time I can tell you for certain that it can be done! But choose your camper with these in mind as most campers will get very cramped for 2 over the years.

Stepping over or squeezing around will get old in time so get the biggest you can handle. And no matter how much time you think you will be spending outside you'll still be spending even more time inside! Sure you think you'll be sleeping and it won't matter but if you have to crawl over each other to use the bathroom during the night that can get old. And waiting for the other to finish in the bathroom so you can start getting cleaned up for the day or to go out for dinner or to meet friends will take twice as long as it does at home so you'll need to start way ahead of time! The list goes on and on.

You also have to adjust the way you think, live and travel which each other. You'll have to learn to hurt each others feelings a bit and get over it. You'll have to learn to hurt family, friends and people you meet in your travels feelings too and get over that. People, friends and family will try to be nice and "give you" things they are certain you need. You'll want to buy souvenirs of the many places you've been. You'll want to add things that you find along the way. But sadly there just isn't any room for all these things!!! Take lots of pictures and cherish the memories but leave the goodies where you find them or you'll never get over that next mountain pass!

Also holding tanks and food storage is very limited in most campers so be prepared to be creative and also very good at planning ahead! An extra cooler in the back seat of the trucks cab is a huge help. If you haven't bought a truck yet then absolutely get an extended cab truck. If possible take out the back seat, add the coolers and some some storage and you'll thank yourself for it often!

I could go on for pages but I'm going to give you a break from me! Just in time I'll bet! lol I'm not trying to discourage you, just passing on some things I learned over the years of full time living in a camper. There are many more but you get the general idea. All that being said I still loved it and as soon as I get my next truck and camper built I'll be back at it full time!!! Happy Trails!

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 engine with winch and service body. Getting it ready for a new camper and then hit the trails!

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/11 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No comments about living in a truck camper but don't be fooled by thinking you will spend most of the time outside. We went fulltime about three years ago and sometimes think that we have some kind of magnetic pull for rain. We have spent far more time inside than we thought because of rain and cold weather. And we have tried to follow the sun. So be prepared to spend far more time inside than you think. If you can do that then a truck camper should be fine.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/11 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, I've been living in my camper since 2008 and having a 6x10 would have been a dream (Rolling shop/Garage [emoticon]).

U.F.O.

On Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ontario Canada or Ontario California?

1997 F-350SC 7.3 dually Eagle Cap 950 Honda EU2000

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 5 years of extended business travel in my big Lance, I've transitioned into full timing solo in it for nearly 2 years. There's adequate (the operative word) room for me but wouldn't want to share the space with another human or pet.

I've found that when the camper actually became home, it was inevitable. I began to spend more time in it just like I did in a S&B. After a 10 hr day at work, I don't feel like taking a hike or sitting outside in 80+ degree temps and high humidity in the summer or 38° drizzling rain in the winter. I just want to enjoy a climate controlled space and watch TV or research my interests on the computer. The one thing I miss the most is my big ol' recliner. My biggest nemesis is clutter. It makes the camper a lot smaller.

I'd like more space. However, I'm usually moving every week or two and the mobility and versatility of the camper meet my needs relative to 30k miles a year in traveling sales. But, in a couple of years, a 5th wheel is in the cards for full timing in retirement.

I see folks full timing in just about every kind of RV. So, two people can live in a truck camper. I just realize it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN... your needs change and you'll go for more space. The strength of a TC is in that mobility and versatility that I previously mentioned. If you aren't planning on doing off-road; have no need to move far and very often; don't have to travel to areas when the campgrounds are closed... I'd advise that you consider a good used 3 or 4 season 5th wheel. You can tow more than you can haul. You'd have a much better floor plan, a lot more floor space and at a price just slightly more than a large albeit newer but used quality truck camper. Good luck with your decision.

RVn Full-time

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> living in a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS