|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winter Travel Ohio to Florida

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tubaronnie

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all. Have a week in December (26-31) and one in February (19-24). Want to go to Florida.

#1: What is best winter route and which week above has best chance (I know-no guarantee-just looking for best guess) of avoiding ice/heavy snow from Dayton, Ohio to Florida?

#2. We're not sun bathers, but love the beach. How is Destin, Florida in December? February?

#3. What is your favorite Florida beach rv park? Don't want to drive to beach. We want to be right on the water. Need to give our asthma lungs a break from Ohio.

Tubaronnie
1995 Winnebago Adventurer 30WQ

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Destin is beautiful all year around. Should be fairly warm in December but I'm not in particularly sure about swimming. I'm definitely a fan of Destin FL and the Keys.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

odie1234

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dec-Feb you can expect Destin temperatures in the high 60s days and mid 40s nights - too cold for me but to each his own. Here is a chart Destin temps.Only one rv park on the beach near Destin on the beach, Camping on the Gulf. If you want to go further you might try HoHum in Carrabelle, Fl. Winter travel through KY/TN is always a potential issue - you would have to just watch the weather. I75 is cleared quickly.

2007 35TSB Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED
2007 Honda CR-V

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We head down right after Xmas to the east coast down to the Stuart area which is a lot warmer all winter. We keep a close eye on the weather and will use I-75 all the way to FL or take I-40 over to I-26 to I-95. Weather has a lot to do since we have also ran over to I-77 south picking it up in WV. All the major highways are cleaned pretty good after any snow fall. We try to pick camp grounds where if unexpected weather moves in we have a good place to wait it out.

Hank MI

Brighton, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/11 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-75 to Atlanta then I-65.

That's pushing 800 miles, a little less. Unless you drive non-stop you're looking at 4 days travel time, 2 down and 2 back. You sure it's worth it for a 5 or 6 day vacation?

tderonne

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google Maps suggests 71 to Louisville, then down 65 through Nashville, on to Montgomery, then to Destin. Why not take that route? It avoids I-75 through the hills (they aren't mountains) in Tennessee, stays nice and close to sea level.

* This post was edited 09/29/11 05:06pm by tderonne *

Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive over 2 hours out of my way to avoid at all costs the Chattanooga drop off! And that's traveling in warm weather I would avoid that like the plague if there was bad snow/ice weather.

You just have to CAREFULLY watch the weather and make your attacks at driving accordingly. Keep in mind that many southern states come to a complete standstill with just a dusting of snow most don't have plows or salt trucks. I saw 4 overturned TT's in Kentucky after an inch snowfall, and 4 inches of solid ice in all the parking lots a week 'after' a storm in Paducah!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/11 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave after Christmas and head to Florida. I-75 seems to be the most direct route and the freeway is maintained very well if it does snow. We've also taken 65 to Nashville stayed over night at the KOA down the street from the Grand Ole Opry. It's on music valley drive.

In Destin try Topsail state park. We booked a week there in February and though it gets cool at night it's the perfect temp for us. We also love St. Augustine and stay each year at Bryn Mawr which is right on the ocean. Concrete pads and direct access to the beach. Nothing fancy here but it is a nice campground with about a 60/40 split of park models and RV sites. We have been going there each year for the last 6 and stay for 2-3 weeks. Lots to do, great restaurants and a short drive to downtown St. Augustine.

Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2005 Prevost Royale XLII
Jeep Sahara Toad

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/11 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go I 64 flatter and 15 hours or so from Destin. Topsail SP is a wonderful place, it is in Santa Rosa area. When in Destin McQuires is a must. One lunch meal will feed two normal eaters.

We stay at Topsail and it is great get in the Pine area, wooded and newer.

We'll be in area 2/1- thru 3/10.

michael8rc

Here

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which camp area of Topsail is the Pine area?

1998 Dodge Club Cab 4x4
2010 Wildwood 292FKDS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winter Travel Ohio to Florida
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: