Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: System Aired Up, Bags Will Not Pump Up

Posted By: sealevel ram on 09/29/11 04:28pm

I'm new to my 2004 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom, and to DPs in general.
Started to leave today. The air system pumps up fine, alarm goes out, pressure is 100 PSI, but the air bags do not inflate.
Anyone else have this problem, or know anything to try or look at?
Don't hear or see any obvious air leaks. Everything else air works (brakes,etc).

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

Posted By: dupreet on 09/29/11 04:37pm

Do you have an air bag dump switch on the dash that needs to be reset?

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

Posted By: rvarner on 09/29/11 06:04pm

I've got a little "Rabbit" on my HWH control panel that will fill the bags. Maybe you have a button as well?
Richard

2002 Itasca Horizon 36LD/2008 Xterra/DEMCO Xcali-bar/Ready Brake
FMCA 394912

Posted By: sealevel ram on 09/29/11 06:12pm

Don36G wrote:

Try hitting the dump switch for the air bags and then hit the store button. Maybe the valve is sticking.

That is one idea I tried.
That may be the problem. I don't know where the actual valve is located.

Posted By: Don36G on 09/29/11 05:07pm

Try hitting the dump switch for the air bags and then hit the store button. Maybe the valve is sticking.

05 Winnebago Journey 36G

Posted By: toughnut on 09/29/11 05:39pm

sealevel ram wrote:

I'm new to my 2004 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom, and to DPs in general.
Started to leave today. The air system pumps up fine, alarm goes out, pressure is 100 PSI, but the air bags do not inflate.
Anyone else have this problem, or know anything to try or look at?
Don't hear or see any obvious air leaks. Everything else air works (brakes,etc).

Seems wierd to me that NONE of the air bags will inflate?.Most DP have seperate solinioids for front and rear air bag systems.Maybe the Hydralic Jack air dump switch is stuck in the dump position?

Posted By: RayChez on 09/29/11 09:37pm

I had that problem once and it was a valve that controls the height of the airbags. On mine it was the valve right under the left front wheel. The valve got stuck open and it was blowing air through a little hose. Had the valve replaced and the air bags inflated right away. But I have a Freightliner chassis, not sure what yours has. Now you mention that you were all charged up at 100lbs of air. That is not fully charged. Mine goes up to 120lbs of air before it equalizes.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

Posted By: sealevel ram on 09/29/11 09:14pm

Executive wrote:

Are you in "Travel" mode????.....mine has a button to push to inflate the bags...Dennis

Yes, it says "Travel". Mine does not have such a button.

Posted By: sealevel ram on 09/30/11 08:40am

Thanks for all the replies. Have a lot to think about.

Posted By: sealevel ram on 09/29/11 06:15pm

rvarner wrote:

I've got a little "Rabbit" on my HWH control panel that will fill the bags. Maybe you have a button as well?
Richard

Don't think I have one, but define "Rabbit".

Posted By: DSDP Don on 09/30/11 12:00am

sealevel ram......My BIL has a 2004 Itasca Meridian and had the same issue when his was new. There is a valve up front that goes bad. If you connect air to the fitting at the front of the coach for tow truck use, the bags will air up. His only occasional would stick. PM me if you don't resolve the issue and I'll find out which valve went bad on his.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

Posted By: Executive on 09/29/11 07:41pm

Are you in "Travel" mode????.....mine has a button to push to inflate the bags...Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Posted By: scooterseats on 09/29/11 06:55pm

My 2000 37G Discovery on a Fleetwood chassis has a dump valve operated by a slide lever. On start up, I frequently have to flip the lever a couple of times before I hear a release of air and then the suspension will inflate. I have found it I wait until my air is at it's maximum (100+ #) it is easier to get it to release.

Ross Murphy
2000 Discovery 37G
PT Cruiser Toad

Posted By: toughnut on 09/29/11 06:15pm

sealevel ram wrote:

Don36G wrote:

That is one idea I tried.
That may be the problem. I don't know where the actual valve is located.

there are two valves involved.so I doubt that both valves stuck open at the same time.More likely the switch has stayed on if in fact thats the problem

Posted By: sealevel ram on 09/30/11 06:02pm

Just to document for future reference, I took my machine to my local friendly RV mechanic.
He checked everything over, undid some air lines, aired up and down, leveled the coach a couple of times, and now everything works.
Must have been a stuck valve that somehow got loosened up or something. He suggested I get a spare height control valve, which is sort of the heart of the system, and either install it or keep it in reserve.

Posted By: sealevel ram on 09/30/11 06:06pm

TprLSP wrote:

Sealevel, I have a 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage. I had that problem once. Pushed the store button, jacks came up but the bags did not inflate. A friend had me put the coach in drive and move it forward about 2 feet hitting the brakes once after each foot to stop. Dont know why but on the second brake stop, the bags began inflating and havent had the problem since. Hope this can work for you.

Maybe that would have worked also in my case. Thanks for your (and everyone's) input.

Posted By: WESIII on 09/30/11 02:51pm

I had this problem with my American Dream. Front air bags did not inflate. It was the piloted dump valves located in the wheel wells. I replaced both @ about 35 bucks each and about 1/2 hour to change out each. All is well...

Bill

Posted By: TprLSP on 09/30/11 01:31pm

Sealevel, I have a 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage. I had that problem once. Pushed the store button, jacks came up but the bags did not inflate. A friend had me put the coach in drive and move it forward about 2 feet hitting the brakes once after each foot to stop. Dont know why but on the second brake stop, the bags began inflating and havent had the problem since. Hope this can work for you.

Print  |  Close