RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How do you remove dicor roof sealant and type of cleaner?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How do you remove dicor roof sealant and type of cleaner?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rock2

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next week I plan to work on dome skylight that needs to be replaced. There is sealant around the edge of the skylight. I am trying to see how I get those old sealant off and what kind of cleaner before I install a new skylight. I am aware that there is some of cleaner may have petroleum and may damage rubber roof. Any advise would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try a heat gun or maybe a hot hair dryer...soften it up and GENTLY scrape it with whatever flat bladed tool you have around..

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/11 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mineral spirits will remove Dicor residue. Don't know if it's ok for your rubber roof though.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
'95 Tracker toad

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Try a heat gun or maybe a hot hair dryer...soften it up and GENTLY scrape it with whatever flat bladed tool you have around..

Good advice; the dicor comes off much easier when it's warmed up.
I bought a cheap set of plastic scrapers (like putty knives) at Lowes and they worked great. The set had 3 different sizes. You can use a regular putty knife, but round off the corners to prevent tearing the rubber roof. Don't worry about getting all the dicor off; you won't, it's nearly impossible. Get most of it off so the roof is level, clean with acetone, then install your new skylight with Eternabond tape which will last much longer than dicor. Easy job really.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After removing as much of the old sealent as possible, clean the area with denatured alcohol, the key to a good sealant bond is a very clean surface.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the above post to scrape, then clean with acetone, not getting a lot onto the rubber roof, use a cloth towle, and wear gloves too.

Eternabond will make a great seal, no need to replace the caulking every 5-6 years anymore. Yet be careful when applying it, once layed down, it will not move. If you have it in the wrong direction, try to bend it to straighten it out, or cut to make it curve, or cut it off and start over. Once the eternabond glue is set, it will not move for many years.

Eternabond

The only restriction to using Eternabond that I would have is not putting it over any "Fresh" sealant - something that is less than 30 days old. This is because the sealant is outgassing, and chemicals in the sealant might mess with the glue in the eternabond.

Acetone is the recommended cleaner to prep the area for Eternabond use, but it might disolve some types of plastic gloves. I used PVC chemical resistant gloves when applying my bedliner to the roof of my motorhome, and they are rated for use with Acetone or other really harsh chemicals.

Fred.

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do NOT use any petroleum based product on an EPDM roof. It causes the roof membrane to swell and release from the adhesive that holds it down. Heat and elbow grease is the best method. Clean with light detergent, bleach, or alcohol before applying new. Contact Dicor if in doubt.
I used mineral spirits and learned the hard way. Good luck.

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acetone is a petrolium product and is not recomended for use on EPDM or TPO roofing materials, that includes mineral spirits. Avoid products containing citric acid and any abrasives. The use of any of these will void the warranty.

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heat gun.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Kiwi_too

OutterLimits

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a metal putty knife with rounded corners, so it would not dig it. More flexible than plastic and won't snap off. Heat makes it easier but is not required.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How do you remove dicor roof sealant and type of cleaner?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS