|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Timber Ridge Construction

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
IcySparx

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are contemplating the purchase of our first travel trailer. After weeks of research, we find ourselves drawn to the Timber Ridge models from Outdoors RV. Love the floorplan. Love the decor. But after watching all the videos & reading all the brochures, we are still hesitant about the build quality. According to the brochure, the Timber Ridge is "laminated Fiberglass construction", but it doesn't say anything about framing. Do we assume there is no framing in the walls? Minimal framing around windows & doors only? Is this something to worry about? The brochure doesn't have the usual cross-section cut-out that other manufacturers seem to provide, that show the actual construction of the trailer. They talk alot about the frame & chassis & insulation & all the lovely features of the interior, but seem to gloss over the actual frame construction. Are we missing something?

The Wind River models, also from Outdoors RV, proudly state they have "Armor Shield Feather-Light Construction" and show a photo in the brochure of the aluminum framing. They also state they have aluminum framing in eight different areas (front, rear, sides, slide-out wall, floor, bed & luggage compartments).

The kicker is that we prefer the decor of the Timber Ridge models. They look more "rustic & cabin-like" to us, whereas the Wind Rivers look more formal & upscale. But do we sacrifice construction quality for decor? We hope that with careful maintenance, we can enjoy our new purchase for many years to come.

Any guideance from more experienced trailer owners will be greatly appreciated!

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since Outdoors RV is a division of Northwood Nash/Arctic Fox, and started in 2009 in the "out of business" Fleetwood Trailer Plant in La Grange, Oregon. Some of the componants are right off of the Nash Assembly line...the chassis frame for example are built from scratch...very rare in the Travel Trailer business! Nash used to use Lippert, but the Nash frame is much stronger, and is often considered an "off road" chassis.

They also bought the rights to the out of business Fleetwood travel trailer designs and prints, and build the Outdoor RV brand pretty much the same as Fleetwood did, on the same assembly line Fleetwood used.

I wouldn't worry too much about the construction. I believe these Outdoor RV's do have aluminum wall framing with the exterior walls laminated foam core construction. And pinch rollered laminated walls.

Note that the 2702BS Wind River floorplan is identical to the Timber Ridge 270DBHS. All the standard stuff is the same.

The Wind River has tile looking vinyl flooring, and the Timber Ridge has wood plank looking vinyl.

Both are loaded up with standard stuff...better equipped than a lot of other brands...and well made.

Also note that the Wind River has 9 options you don't really need, but the Timber Ridge only has 3 options...for example you can't get the (optional on Wind River) bedroom tv, 2nd door, lounge chairs, bike rack mount, power jacks or LED Tail lights! No big deal!

So shop for the best price and you're favorite interior decor. Good luck!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

dmatt

Ventura County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/11 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad I found this post. I have heard very little about Outdoor RV, but what I have heard has been very good. I will be checking them out at a dealer that also carries Cruiser Rv so it will be interesting in seeing how they compare.

Don, Jackie and the Boyz
Madison, our loveable Austrailan Shepard
Our new to the clan baby Black Lab, Riley
O'Malley the Alley Cat
Fresno the rescued kitty

Our camping photos

dangela

oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/11 12:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wind river has a metal frame and the Timber ridge has wood framing.

You should call the factory in La Grande, they are more than happy to answer any questions. You will be amazed on how helpful they are.

Call and ask for Darrin or Rick in their service department.
I just took a factory tour, pretty cool to see how our trailer was made.
This company really cares.

Their # 541-624-5500

We bought the Wind river 2702bs (bunkhouse) very happy with it.

Good luck,

Slappy trails

LJPeterson

South Eastern Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/11 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a new 2011 Timber Ridge 250RLS and just love it. I've only used it twice since I got it on 9/2/11 but so far no issues. I was hesitant about the wood frame over the aluminum frame but a local RV repair person I know put it this way to me. If the wood frame gets water on it you will have to remove siding/inside walls to repair. If the aluminum cracks you need to do the same thing to repair/weld it back up. This repairman I spoke with also has started to see more aluminum framed trailers with cracked welds in the framing. I went with the Timber Ridge because it seemed the best value for me. The dealer I purchased from had both on the lot at the time and both on sale also. I was able to compare the TT's side by side. To me the difference was minimal. The sales lot units of Windriver had the power tongue jack, LED marker and tail lights but that was about it. Both had the TV in the living room and TV hookup in the bedroom. I also wanted the split bath so that was the deciding factor for me.
I would recommend buying whatever you want for a trailer. As it was put to me, don't let the construction stop you from buying what you want for floorplan/decor. Wood trailers have been built for ages and there are many of them still on the road.

IcySparx

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/11 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you both for your reply. I think a call to the factory in Oregon is an excellent idea & we will do that next week.

I was aware that Outdoors RV is owned by the same people that own Arctic Fox/Nash & is produced in the old Fleetwood plant. I was more curious if their construction methods were closer to the Arctic Fox/Nash product, or the old Fleetwood product.

Having looked at hundreds of trailers the past 2 months, I have to say that the Outdoors RV products sure do tick alot of boxes for us. I just want to make sure we are doing our due diligence when it comes to sturdy construction & longevity. And not just getting taken in by a pretty face.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Timber Ridge Construction
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS