|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Ford or Chevy chassis alternative to Sprinter-based RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
overbrook

Venice, Fl USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/11 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sajohnson wrote:

Each chassis has its fans, and each has pros and cons.

Here's a sprinter chassis with a walk around rear bed this is pretty amazing.

The video shows the bed about 10 minutes in. It is so much better than any rear bed arrangement I've seen on the sprinter chassis.

If I win the lottery, I'm going to get one of those.

Leisure Travel Unity U24IB video walk-through

2006 Roadtrek Popular 170

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/11 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right now, no one is thinking "outside the box" like Triple E/Leisure Travel.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/11 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This model is so new that few have even been made yet, no less sold and delivered, to get to resale.

There are very few used LTV C's in the resale market. I think Van City has a used Libero right now and it is the first one that I have seen. I've seen a couple of Serenity(s) in the last year, and one Unity.

That's about it when I googled anyway... not that I haunted every RV website selling vehicles since I wasn't looking for used. Personally I decided to buy new and ignore that first year depreciation thing... can't take it with me... and I want what I want... not someone's seconds.

sajohnson

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/11 12:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I both really like LTV. If money were no object they'd be at or near the top of the short list.

Unfortunately, they are very expensive and the IB is a new (or relatively new) model, so there are very few used ones available, and those that are for sale used are likely still very high priced.

I have the LTV manual right here. The only thing it's missing is the dinette and I could get over that.

I really like the dresser that's hidden under the end of the mattress. Very clever.

LTV even uses the locking knobs on all overhead cabinets, which is something Winnebago eliminated after the 2010 model year.

Unfortunately, without some sort of 'buy-back' guarantee (which will obviously never happen) limiting the risk of financial loss from depreciation, I just can't justify laying out that kind of money.

It sure is a nice rig though.

reyo owner

mechanic

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck with your Winnebago purchase. Good choice staying away from the Reyo. Ours is 13 months old and has been in for repair over 23 times and still counting. It has been a huge disappointment. I have lost track of how many days it has been out of commission due to repairs, trips cancelled, fuel wasted driving to and from repairs. Mercedes is ill equipped to handle it, so we take it to Freightliner for work. We have had repairs done in AL,LA,NC,FL,CT,RI. We have yet to go on a trip when something doesn't break, need replacement or repair, be it engine or coach. Hopefully you will do better.

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/11 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wondering where original poster is now in the search.

I smiled reading many pages of the post because we went through virtually the same search and thought process three years ago. Not as tall as you are so were not as concerned about shower height. Attended a lot of shows, looked online a lot. Also wanted used, hoping to spend a maximum of about $40k.

Considered every possible option starting with a class B diesel Sprinter, considered a class A, test drove a C, looked at all sorts of trailers. You name it. Looked at some B vans at an RV show and decided they were way too small inside. I loved the B plus/small C newer queen walk around beds but realized they were so new and it would take years to find good used selection.

It became simpler to avoid making a decision for fear of making a mistake, so two years along, we still were thinking about it.

Then almost a year ago, we heard about a class B sprinter 5 miles away (and we live in the boonies) in beautiful condition.. Test drove it, made an offer and have loved every minute of using it. The key tipping point was when we reminded each other...this doesn't have to be the only RV we'll ever own.

The smaller interior turned out not to be an issue to us, it rides very comfortably...and boy, did we love getting an average of better than 23 mpg this summer on a 7000 mile trip. Our trip to Utah was one of the best experiences of my life, and I've been to 60 countries. We've also had a ball in the Outer Banks, Florida and Shenandoah NP. We paid more than I wanted to but we've had priceless, life-enriching experiences.

So my point is...you can over analyze the situation so long you'll miss out on some great times. Take the plunge if you see something you like at a decent price and have a ball.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

Skid Row Joe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found the Dodge chassis was just not capable and flimsy suspensionwise feeling for my usages. Basically, it just goes all over the road versus my Ford E450. The Ford E450 Powerstroke turbodiesel is just too capable a coach and chassis combo to ever trade-down to the 'narrow-guage' Dodge Sprinter. The Ford diesel is basically bulletproof in almost 10 years of service. The mileage is 20%+ greater than the gassers too!

The E450 is super-stable and inspires confidence in any highway situation, even switchback highways! For my money, and because of the excellent fuel economy of the Powerstroke turbodiesel, I'm a Ford E450 owner for the forseeable future.

pnichols wrote:

Quote:

What bothers me about the newer sprinter RVs is the coach body width overhangs almost eight inches beyond the sidewall of the dually rear wheels on each side. That's a total of almost 16 inches of coach overhang outside the rear track (width).

Outstanding point!

Regardless of original suspension system design and/or add-on suspension components installed later, some of those Mercedes diesel based motorhomes "just don't look right". i.e. A couple of days ago I followed for awhile behind a View motorhome, and wow, did it's height versus where the outside duals stopped "look like" unstable geometry. The duals stopped well inside the outside edges of the body ... this even on a relatively narrow Class C rig, to-boot.

Our 101 inch widebody Class C is sometimes "too wide" for where we're trying to go, but at least it's duals come right out to the coach's edges with it's E450 chassis. It may be all in my head, but I sure "feel safe" in it when traveling in high cross winds or when offroad traveling on slightly sloped road surfaces to boondock camp sites. It seems like riding in a Mercedes based Class C might feel the same as what I felt like when riding in the passenger car on a narrow gauge railroad ... I didn't tip over but sure felt like it was about to.

The Mercedes/Sprinter chassis was probably designed to navigate Europe's (and many other parts of the world's) narrow roads and tiny city streets/alleys. They need a wider version of it to take advantage of America's so far more spacious roadways and parking lots.

“I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.”

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

overbrook wrote:

The video shows the bed about 10 minutes in.It is so much better than any rear bed arrangement I've seen on the sprinter chassis.

Almost identical to a lot of Australian Motorhomes. We would have a drop down bed, instead of rearranging the seating .a lot more comfortable. As well the finish on the interior is not that flash. You get Island beds on IVECO, Ducato, Sprinter and Isuzu chassis.As well most have slides now.
Sunliner Sprinter with Island Bed.

Quote:

SUNLINER Holiday G36 Mercedes Benz - Caravans for sale, Motorhome, Sunliner Holiday G36 Mercedes Benz, 2010 Model, turbo diesel, auto with only 25,000kms. This motorhome has a fantastic dining area with swivel front seats, island bed with innerspring mattress, separate toilet shower, great storage under bed, 19 inch TV / DVD player. Roof Mounted Reverse Cycle A/C, roll out Dometic awning, 2x 4.5 gas bottles, 240v / Gas Hot Water Service, Electric Entry Step, Solar Panel, Wine up TV Aerial, 100amp House Battery, Microwave, 120ltr Fresh Water Tank, 60ltr Grey Water Tank.

* This post was edited 12/11/11 11:07pm by RobertRyan *

sajohnson

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 11:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

overbrook wrote:

The video shows the bed about 10 minutes in.It is so much better than any rear bed arrangement I've seen on the sprinter chassis.

Almost identical to a lot of Australian Motorhomes. We would have a drop down bed, instead of rearranging the seating .a lot more comfortable. As well the finish on the interior is not that flash. You get Island beds on IVECO, Ducato, Sprinter and Isuzu chassis.

It sounds like my only option is to move to Australia, 'cause I haven't found anything here in the US.

sajohnson

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

reyo owner wrote:

Good luck with your Winnebago purchase. Good choice staying away from the Reyo. Ours is 13 months old and has been in for repair over 23 times and still counting. It has been a huge disappointment. I have lost track of how many days it has been out of commission due to repairs, trips cancelled, fuel wasted driving to and from repairs. Mercedes is ill equipped to handle it, so we take it to Freightliner for work. We have had repairs done in AL,LA,NC,FL,CT,RI. We have yet to go on a trip when something doesn't break, need replacement or repair, be it engine or coach. Hopefully you will do better.

That's terrible. This has to be the worst experience I've read about, but the other forum/group I belong to is the View-Navion Yahoo group, and there aren't a lot of Reyo owners posting over there.

BTW: I just now received email notice of this post. Kind of strange.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Ford or Chevy chassis alternative to Sprinter-based RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS