RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Sold my boat last night and then it died for the new owner.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Sold my boat last night and then it died for the new owner.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mountain Jack

Shangri-La,Mountain in SW OR, above the Gold Creek

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the outboard motor is locked up in Reverse gear, it would lead me to believe, the New Owner shifted improperly.
Look at condition of Prop, & lower unit, shaft

.Someone needs to try to get the outboard to shift into Neutral, & see if the flywheel turns. Take out spark plugs(should turn easily) (regap plugs or use New Ones).

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/11 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JALLEN4 wrote:

As many on the Forum knows, I was a new car dealer for 40 plus years in multiple dealerships. I have long said that today's dealer operating out of a large facility and not a moving target is more often reliable than the typical consumer selling things out of his drive-way.

During those years, I sold a ton of vehicles "as-is". Unless I knew there was a problem with the unit and disclosed it to the buyer in writing, there is no way I am going to tell a buyer "sorry" if the thing blows up within 24 hours. There just wasn't enough money involved for me to ruin my reputation.

The irony is that some of the same people stating in this case "tough luck" are the same folks who would rag on a business for that kind of behavior for weeks. In this case, not my money and not my reputation. There is though a lesson to be learned here. Is there a double standard involved and would you most likely be better off buying from a reputable dealer...you betcha!

I think there is a difference between a business and a private person. Like you said, even though the business may not have an obligation to cover the loss, it may be a good business practice to do so. Meaning you aren't really doing it out of the goodness of your heart or because it's the right thing to do, you're doing it to protect your business reputation and your future income.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

southernkilowatt

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JALLEN4 wrote:

As many on the Forum knows, I was a new car dealer for 40 plus years in multiple dealerships. I have long said that today's dealer operating out of a large facility and not a moving target is more often reliable than the typical consumer selling things out of his drive-way.

During those years, I sold a ton of vehicles "as-is". Unless I knew there was a problem with the unit and disclosed it to the buyer in writing, there is no way I am going to tell a buyer "sorry" if the thing blows up within 24 hours. There just wasn't enough money involved for me to ruin my reputation.

The irony is that some of the same people stating in this case "tough luck" are the same folks who would rag on a business for that kind of behavior for weeks. In this case, not my money and not my reputation. There is though a lesson to be learned here. Is there a double standard involved and would you most likely be better off buying from a reputable dealer...you betcha!

Again I agree with JALLEN4, very well stated. Its sad that whats "legally" right and whats "morally" right isnt always the same thing.

Sea Dog

Ontario Can.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/11 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thought that a disgruntled purchaser
might trash or burn my house would never enter my mind!

* This post was edited 10/06/11 04:41pm by an administrator/moderator *

Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

southernkilowatt wrote:

JALLEN4 wrote:

Again I agree with JALLEN4, very well stated. Its sad that whats "legally" right and whats "morally" right isnt always the same thing.

Yeah but the OP ISN'T a dealer with a financial incentive to eat a minor repair or two, or even a major repair in order to maintain a good reputation in the community, or to avoid an embarrassing lawsuit from a dissatisfied buyer. What a long time local business man would and, more importantly, can do to keep a buyer satisfied and what a private individual can and should do are two very different things.
To hold the OP to a standard that you and I as business persons might do is unfair and unrealistic. The OP did everything within their power to demonstrate the boat and motor was working and the unit did work when it left his ownership--that should be enough for a one time sale of an old boat. The OP is not a dealer, there is no substitute unit that the buyer can take off the lot to right the "wrong", there is no team of mechanics back in the shop to make the needed repair right.

RV-1/2n-FUN

FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckster11 wrote:

......Yeah but the OP ISN'T a dealer with a financial incentive to eat a minor repair or two, or even a major repair in order to maintain a good reputation in the community, or to avoid an embarrassing lawsuit from a dissatisfied buyer. What a long time local business man would and, more importantly, can do to keep a buyer satisfied and what a private individual can and should do are two very different things.
To hold the OP to a standard that you and I as business persons might do is unfair and unrealistic. The OP did everything within their power to demonstrate the boat and motor was working and the unit did work when it left his ownership--that should be enough for a one time sale of an old boat. The OP is not a dealer, there is no substitute unit that the buyer can take off the lot to right the "wrong", there is no team of mechanics back in the shop to make the needed repair right.

My bolding.

and morals have no place in this deal because OP was honest to begin with?

* This post was edited 10/06/11 06:53pm by an administrator/moderator *

Gene&Ginny

North Kingstown, RI

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

minnie_396 wrote:

It was kinda strange because he came when it was dark and said he didn't care about the appearance of the boat

Maybe he already had a good boat with a bad Merc outboard.

minnie_396 wrote:

...and when he was putting it on the trailer, it died. He said he put it in reverse and there was a clunk and then the motor stopped and would not run anymore.
Why would he put it in reverse while putting it on the trailer? I have watched a lot of people power a boat onto the trailer but never saw them throw it in reverse while doing that.

I have heard some go "thunk" when shifting forward to reverse at full throttle when aproaching the dock too fast.

The whole thing sounds strange.

Gene and DW Ginny
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control
Proud member of the Sunline Club

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn't implying it was a "moral" choice. We don't know what a car dealer really thinks when he makes a repair for a disgruntled buyer--it is merely that he has the public relations need to make the sale right and, more importantly, the means to make it right.
Personally, as described, I believe the OP acted in an ethical manner in the matter. He did what was necessary to demonstrate that his boat and motor was in proper operating shape at the time of sale and, as described, I believe he has no further responsibility for the unit once it left his yard.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an old I/O boat for sale. IF somebody wants to buy it, I will gladly hook the garden hose up and run it right where it is to demonstrate that it WILL start and run. IF they subsequently buy it, the Bill of Sale for both the boat and the trailer will plainly state that it is sold as is where is, with no warranty expressed or implied. Once the title is signed in front of a Notary, and it is hooked up and towed away, my responsibility is ENDED, period!
That, IMO, is the proper attitude for the OP to take.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RV-1/2n-FUN

FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gene&Ginny wrote:

minnie_396 wrote:

It was kinda strange because he came when it was dark and said he didn't care about the appearance of the boat

Maybe he already had a good boat with a bad Merc outboard.

minnie_396 wrote:

...and when he was putting it on the trailer, it died. He said he put it in reverse and there was a clunk and then the motor stopped and would not run anymore.
Why would he put it in reverse while putting it on the trailer? I have watched a lot of people power a boat onto the trailer but never saw them throw it in reverse while doing that.

I have heard some go "thunk" when shifting forward to reverse at full throttle when aproaching the dock too fast.

The whole thing sounds strange.

I have on occasion put motor in reverse to back off and realign rather than power on. Was told to do so by FIL who dealt with boats his entire life and was a boat dealer/racer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Sold my boat last night and then it died for the new owner.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS