RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Your success stories on your own major repair.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Your success stories on your own major repair.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gents,
I don't know if many of you saw my recent post on the replacement of one hydraulic rams that actuate the bedroom slide on our recently purchased '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with a 330 CAT. That ram has been leaking since we purchased the coach, a few months ago. Well, we just got back from a trip with the coach and thought it was time to figure out how to tackle this job.

Well, basically it's all explained in the post but here's a short version. The slide moves in and out towards the drivers side. But, the ram, comes out, through a tunnel of a maze of wires, tubes, water lines, etc. and, through a removeable (riveted and glued) panel, right behind where the house batteries sit. Well, the house batts had to be removed, then reach waaaaaaaay in and drill out those rivets, then pry and pry to get the glue loose, then, undo all the hydraulic lines and remove that ram, through the maze and out the passenger side of the coach.

I put new seals in it, and re-installed it in the reverse order. But, it was a very tedeous job with lots of potential to screw up. So far, the slide is working flawless and I'm keeping an eye on all the fittings and the new seals and NO LEAKS YET! Whew! That was a job.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Jpony56hd

Fulltimer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I fulltime in an older (1988 Gulfstream HiRise) 32' motorhome and have very limited resorces, so we take care of most everything ourselves. My best project was my own fault. While flushing the black water tank by filling the tank from a hose thru the toilet, I got distracted and realized it when I saw water coming down the entry steps!! I wound up replacing all the interior floor covering. Nice office type carpet in the living area and bedroom, Hardwood flooring in the kitchen/dining area and a tile floor in the bathroom. It all turned out nice and replaced worn out carpet anyway. It's was several years ago and I think the DW may have forgiven me by now.

Chuck_NJ

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what i went thru

Nitemare

missscarlet9

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weathertodd221 wrote:

on my first moho... I balked at estimates of $500 or better to replace the air bags inside my front coil springs. Being familiar with mechanics and having a touch of OCD... I disassembled the entire front end and put all new components on the front. The parts list ranged from new upper and lower control arms to special order 12.9 grade bolts to hold everything together. About $1100 in hardware.
Took 2 weeks and 2 complaining neighbors, but when I lowered the rig down it sat 3" higher than it previously did.
Satisfied for about a month... I tackled the brakes. Another $900 in parts only this time my neighbors called the city zoning dept. Inspector was really nice and gave me 45 days instead of the customary 15. He too had a motorhome and told me what violations I was breeching and to bundle it up asap.
A week later I was done... called him and he cleared the complaints.

I accidently returned the code violation favor(s) to the complaining neighbors... both of whom block the sidewalk with their 30' boat/trailers. The inspector noticed them when he came back to clear my violation. Kinda made me smile when they had to tear down backyard fences and ruin their nice lawns to be code compliant inside of 15 days.

I think that the truth behind your friendly neighbor is more of "that guy over there is doing something that I'm not capable of. It hurts my manhood and I want the city to put a stop to it". C'mon, don't people have better things to do.

I would be screaming across the street saying.... Hey neighbor, can I help!

Livin' the dream!

missscarlet9

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Al's R/T wrote:

Hello All;

When We bought the Mirada last year, I was aware of an exhaust leak, the passenger side manifold had a broken bolt; I removed manifold and had it resurfaced, reinstalled with new bolts from Ford (very expensive !!); all was well on that side but still had small leak on driver side, no broken bolts so decided to leave as is, mostly because on a '97 F53 460, there is 2 tubes that connect to the manifold, one for the EGR and one for the smog air pump; i know by experience they are expensive and almost impossible to remove from manifold without damage.

We covered 9k miles with the motorhome from July 2010 to June 2011 and the leak was driving me crazy so late june i decided to give it a shot....

what a nightmare! the bolts came out easily but it was impossible to get the manifold out with the tubing attached ! but the worst was yet to come..

As I inspected the manifold surface with a mirror thinking I could maybe reinstall with High Temp silicone for gasket, I noticed the head boss was cracked at the last port ! i just founded the leak...

So I bit the bullet and removed the intake, replaced both heads with rebuilt ones, reinstalled along with a complete Banks headers and exhaust pipes.

Close to 30hrs in labor mostly on my knees and $6000.00 poorer but boy ! is the Mirada fun to drive now ! also since I was in it, I installed Firestone Ride Rite air bags w/compressor on both axles.

Alain from Montreal

1998 Coachmen Mirada 300QB F53 460
2001 Suzuki Vitara Convertible (toad)
2010 Challenger R/T Hemi
2008 Mustang Bullitt

I feel for you, but know the pride you must feel. Good for you in a job well done!

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that was what I call a major job, I don't think I'm capable of a project that big.

I did have to R&R the 7K Kohler generator had to drop it out the bottom real pain.
Most of the stuff I do now is kind of routine replace brake lines, alternator stuff like that.

The most difficult problem I have had was a TBI wire that was coming loose intermittently, symptom was loss of power, max speed 45mph then every thing would run great for 15 to 20 miles. After about 100 miles of that I finally found one injector was shuting down for no apparent reason.

Ever drive with the dog house cover off even for a few miles in 100 deg heat?

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

missscarlet9

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck_NJ wrote:

Here is what i went thru

Nitemare

Wow Chuck_NJ, I don't feel so bad with my troubles. Some may say you have a lemon. To me it now sounds like you now have a rock solid machine.

This is my 4th Motorhome. Every unit was in better shape when I sold it than when I bought it. I'm sure that everything you've ever sold was the same.

I like the story of the 'copter. That would be a project that I would LOVE to sink my teeth into. What fun!

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on a great job. I do all my own work but one of the special things I've done is put a new 460 in a 1975 F 250 camper special, but replaced the C6 with a NV4500 5 speed manual. It gets an honest 17 on the highway. The engine only turns twice for every turn of the tires. 1700 RPM highway. People go crazy when they see it, so when I take it out I always plan on extra time cause Ford people look in and see the stick they know right away somethings different.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings.1996 Jayco C 22 foot with 460/Banks Powerpak/Bilsteins.Wife and daughter. Two cats which control my life. 1975 Ford F-250, 84 Coupe Deville, Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Your success stories on your own major repair.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS