|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Trickle Charger

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone used the 6 dollar Harbor Freight trickle charger for any vehicles left at home during the Snowbird season?? Did it work or not???

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hope so, I have one hooked to one of my boat batteries.
bumpy

P3TC

Glendale Springs, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the $9 one on my pickemup truck for 3 months, worked fine.

Bill

1998 Monaco Diplomat

frogkisser

TEXAS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had it in my Van for three months and worked well.

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well 3 for 3 is looking good.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the negative clamp off the battery, six months later put it back on and start the motor. So far two cars, and two boats, have been done this way with no problems and they all started right up.

If you can't already tell, I don't like to leave something plugged in while I'm away. It's just one more thing to fail and cause an issue.

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had 4 of these ~$6 trickle chargers. I'd leave them on my cars and mower for 5-6 months during the winter. NONE of the 4 have kept my batteries up. I've given up on Harbor Freights $6 trickle chargers.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John&Joey wrote:

Take the negative clamp off the battery, six months later put it back on and start the motor. So far two cars, and two boats, have been done this way with no problems and they all started right up.

If you can't already tell, I don't like to leave something plugged in while I'm away. It's just one more thing to fail and cause an issue.

I do the same on a car that sits in the driveway all winter in below freezing temps, the battery is 8 years old and has been disconnected each winter for 5 winters. The car starts up first time in the spring. Be sure that the battery is fully charged before you disconnect though!

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, so I'm learning something new here, remove the negative cable and the battery should hold a charge for 5-6 months while we snowbird. Nothing to lose, since the battery will still be under warranty.

The problem I had last Winter was when the battery went dead so did the computer system and when I went to get the State Emission test done the computer needed to have the car run a few hundred miles before an Emission test could be read. So I was thinking if I kept the battery charged the Computer would not lose the info for Emission testing.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

OK, so I'm learning something new here, remove the negative cable and the battery should hold a charge for 5-6 months while we snowbird. Nothing to lose, since the battery will still be under warranty.

The problem I had last Winter was when the battery went dead so did the computer system and when I went to get the State Emission test done the computer needed to have the car run a few hundred miles before an Emission test could be read. So I was thinking if I kept the battery charged the Computer would not lose the info for Emission testing.

In that case, that's a horse of a different color. Once you disconnect the negative cable all systems will go offline. If it takes a few hundred miles for your emissions history to build up, then yes, you will have an issue right at the beginning. Only choice you have is either the trickle charger, or get home and drive around and see the kids/grand kids that first week

On edit:

BTW, put a can of "SeaFoam" into the gas tank and drive a short distance before putting the car to sleep. The new gas (maybe not in Canada) has only a 2-3 month shelf life before it starts to gum up. Seafoam will keep it good for at least a year, plus it's good for the engine also.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Trickle Charger
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS