RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Looking for good info on bunkhouse 5'ers...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for good info on bunkhouse 5'ers...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used the search feature but haven't hit the mother load yet. I'm looking for threads (or opinions here) on the manufacturers that you guys think make the best mid-level (mid-size) 5th wheels. I'm familiar with the common brands such as Jayco, Crossroads, and Keystone. For some reason, there aren't a lot of Forest River products here in the Pacific NW, but I've heard good things about them. Thus far, I like the new Crossroads Sahara quite a bit, but I haven't seen enough other brands to make a fair comparison.

We only have 2 kids, but they're 5 year old twin boys. When we upgrade from our travel trailer, we're looking for a balance between quality and bang for the buck. Can't see any reason why we'd need anything bigger than 36'. I'll be upgrading our F150 in a year or so, but I won't go bigger than a 3500 SRW.

Thanks.

2008 Jayfeather 29A
2007 Ford F-150 5.4L V8

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you will be getting a larger truck too?
If that is true, I can say I am totally satisfied with my Cedar Creek. It is a 2005 model and the only issues have been dealer caused and my own mistakes. Keystone is now a Thor brand and in the past I have not been too excited about Thor quality. That is not to say any brand cannot make a bad one.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Dandy Dan

Findlay, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a close dealer, the Open Range has a couple of nice BH 5ers and you will find that they are lighter than some of the other models on the market. We are starting on the 4th year with ours and like it quite well even though it is not a BH. Good Luck in your searching.

dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 (the rescue) Sarah (the rescue)
and Beau (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)
2005 Dodge QuadCab 2500 4x4 Hemi
2009 Open Range 337RLS
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/11 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Coachman Chaparell 271BH bunkhouse model. About 30' long and 10k pounds fully loaded. Twin residential size bunks in small kids bedroom with good sized closet. Good size tank capacitys and storage. Only thing inconvenient is living room slide needs to be out to get to bathroom and master bedroom but not really a significant issue for use

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

I assume you will be getting a larger truck too?

Oh yea, without question. Like I posted, I'll most likely move up to a SRW 1-ton. I won't get a dually.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have more rv dealers near you than I do here in SoCal!

Clear Creek RV in Silverdale Washington carries the full lines of new Jayco's, Keystone RV's, Northwoods Arctic Fox and R-Vision.

RV's Northwest carries Arctic Fox, Cruiser, Trail-Lite, Wildwood, Wind River and Zinger. Spokane and North Spokane.

In Pasco Washington Broadmoor RV carries WIND RIVER, CREEK SIDE, TIMBER RIDGE, NASH, TAMARACK, NORTH COUNTRY, SALEM, FUZION, ARCTIC FOX, DESERT FOX, R-POD, DUTCHMEN, BACK COUNTRY and OPEN RANGE.

U-Neek RV in Kelso Wash. has Cruiser RV, Forest River, Heartland, Wildwood, Wildcat, FunFinder RV and Keystone.

Paulsbo in Kent...Auburn...Everett and Mt. Vernon carrys Forest River.

I would suggest since you are looking for "a balance between quality and bang for the buck", seriousily browse the Jayco's, Heartlands, Open Range, Actic Fox and CrossRoads brands.

To prove that their quality and workmanship is a step above others, Jayco, Open Range and CrossRoads give you a 2 year warranty by the way!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/11 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am bias towards Sabre fivers. We've had ours for 4 years and still love going out in it.
They make two bunkhouse floor plans. Here's one:
http://www.palominorv.com/productinfo.as........orplandetails&floorplanid=4306&RVType=FW

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

Ric Flair

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like our KZ

2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

tdeal823

N.W. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/11 04:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ordered a brand new Sabre 32BHOK-6 this year. Many folks have been satisfied with the trailers. This year we went on 7 trips with it. We love it. The sabre is a great trailer for the money. other than a few pieces of trim coming loose(1.5 year old boy) from someone picking at them. we have had Zero Problems.

As for towing I think you will be happy with a SRW 3/4 or bigger. My old trusty F250 pulls the trailer like a champ.

2008 Silverado 2500HD DMax LTZ cc sb 4x4 EFILive tuned, Blocked, Deleted, Rerouted and removed B&W Turnover ball and 5th Companion
02 F250 4x4 Auto Ex LWB SRW 7.3L B&W, RideRite, 5"exhaust. TW6 chip. 195k
2011 Sabre 32BHOK-6

guinness1

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/11 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Coachmen Chaparral 330FBH. It is a great floorplan for kids. My girls (9 & 12) really like it. The bunkhouse is in the front with a bunk and futon-like bed. The back of the trailer is the master bedroom with its own bath - NICE.

2012 Coachmen Chaparral 330FBH

2011 Chevy 3500HD 6.0

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for good info on bunkhouse 5'ers...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS