|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Propane Smell while driving

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/11 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

also could be batteries.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/11 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The valves on these tanks fail often. Even if turned real tight they leak from there. And although everyone will say that the propane is heavy and sinks and can't come into the coach from outside, I'm sorry but when my valve was not seating properly the smell came into the camper. The propane tank has a steel bottom so the gas hangs in the propane tank area and up.

AND...I had a what I thought and was told by people in the CG a bad gray tank smell. Because the smell was most intense 'in' the sink.

I opened all the windows to get the stink out because it was sooooo bad, waiting for RV repair to come out and check the vent. Thank God I didn't light a cigarette while I was waiting!! While sitting there I noticed one of the knobs on the stove was on. The gas was full on and now had been on for over an hour. The stove being right next to the sink so the gas found a low point which was the sink.

I KNOW what propane smells like. My house was completely on propane. I could detect a propane smell from a mile away! What I did NOT know is that every state is different. They can put any type of smell into the propane they want according to their specific propane regulations.
I had just filled up my first non Wisconsin tank of propane in Kentucky and it did NOT smell anything like the propane from Wisconsin, or I would have known immediately. It smelled like a dirty gray tank smell. I came real close to going up into a ball of flames that day!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

Movin' on

western Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/11 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said you were driving with your ceiling vent open. Your black tank vent may be near by and while you are driving the wind is pulling the tank odor into your ceiling vent and past your nose out the open window. Close your windows and vent and see if the odor is gone.

2000 Newmar Dutchstar 3365 V-10/Banks
2004 Saturn Vue V6

mookie6

fallbrook

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/11 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had what sounds like the same issue. Couldnt figure out what it was. We were in the Grand Canyon and had to be towed to Flaggstaff. I was in fear that the coach would blow up. They couldnt find anything wrong at the repair place. Started driving again and as it got hot outside in AZ I started smelling it again. I stuck my nose in the kitchen sink and smelled the odor. The wife had washed egg salad juice down the drain. She claims it was the house batteries. I guess I will never no as I replaced the house batteries when I got to Phoenix. I say, drain your holding tanks and put some Chem Clean down the sink

Hikerdogs

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/11 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you totally discount the smell as being from the holding tank use the kiddy bubbles all over the propane tank as Bertt suggested. We had a similar intermittent situation and couldn't find the source for several months. It finally turned out to be the blowout plug in the bottom of the propane tank.

The blowout plug is a thin round disk welded into the bottom of the tank. It's supposed to blow out and release the pressure should there be a fire. When the plug was welded in our tank they didn't complete the full 360*. There was a spot about 1/4" long that wasn't welded. From time to time we would get the smell. The wierd part was that it didn't smell when the motorhome was stored in an enclosed garage.

In our case the solution was to replace the entire tank. Fortunately they are certified for 10 years and we only had to pay the labor charge.

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

revump

Deer Park, WA or Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/11 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our smell was holding tanks

Bob

03FatBoy

Crossville, Tn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/11 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a washer/dryer (or is the coach plumbed for one)? Also, could be the vent valve under one of the sinks. We had one of those fail and every time we traveled with front windows open it pulled the gray tank odor into the coach.

Melissa & Steve (MNC USNR retired)
FMCA F335327, GS
'05 HR Ambassador 36PDD, Saturn Vue Toad
8.3L Cummins w/ 6sp Allison

SoakedKarma

Reno neh-va-duh

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 04:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my 89 elite has 3 vent pipes one off the gray tank one for the bath sink both which extend through the roof. the third vent from kitchen sink drain terminates under the stove and behind cabinet drawers with a one way IN-LINE PLUMB VENT OATEY #3901 which went bad and would allow holding tank gasses into the coach.. once replaced the occasional smell that drove me nuts for months went away..

1989 38' Elite by Elite Coach Corp.
Ford 460cid C6 w/Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive 2 speed-transmission
208" WB John Deere RV 1200 Chassis air bag tag axle.
21,000 GVW
1987 Honda cmx250c Rebel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Propane Smell while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: