|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No lights on house batteries

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kennithbk

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry folks they are installed like the picture above negative to negative and positive to positive. Any other suggestions? Thanks and sorry for the mis information.

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try the fuses as others have suggested.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

The Falcon

Monterey Co, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/11 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some things may be on a commen ground. Maybe a ground wire came loose someplace. you could try running a ground wire to a light and see if it lights. Probably a fuse somplace though.

Joe

Precision Guesses
Joe&Jan 2003 Hurricane 30Q V10
2004 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Brake Buddy

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/11 12:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said all the fuses are good, does that mean that you measure battery voltage at the fuses with the vehicle off and no shore power plugged in? Or did you do a visual inspection.

To measure voltage at the fuses you'll have to find a place to ground the meter. Either pull the front off the panel to find a ground or run a long wire to a frame ground.

If you get battery voltage at the fuses then verify that BOTH sides of teh fuse read the same. you can poke the positive lead of the meter into the small holes in the back of the fuse to do this.

If you want to look for resistance/voltage drop, measure the battery voltage at the batteries and compare it to the measurements you get at the fuses.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/11 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just confirm at the battery terminals that the neg (-) terminal on each 12VDC battery go directly to trailer frame ground. Sometimes the new batteries have the terminal posts in different positons than what you removed so you may be also be reversed as well... Just confirm the negative (-) terminal goes to frame ground on each battery. The case should have a (-) symbol or be marked NEG...

You will have to locate your two fuses on the converter/charger unit marked REVERSE POLIARITY and replace those and there also may be another IN-LINE fuse close to the batteries that may also be blown.. If you indeed series those two batteries and put out 24VDC to the system then hopefully the fuses blown first and didnt damaged anything. This can start adding up pretty quick $$$ wise.

Like they always used to tell me at work "Bend over Braddy" or at least get a NCIS slap on the back of the head...

Sure hope you come out ok on all of this...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/11 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading the post while I doing my slow typing - you are down to two thing now...Look for the MARKED (-) negative terminal on the battery box and confirm that you havent reversed the battery cables and then look real hard under the trailer for the in-line fuse. You may have to fish the battery cable back under the trailer to find it. If this is a first time install of two batteries you may also have to increase the in-line fuse size. AT least 45AMP I would say. It is probably a 30A with only one battery installed. I have an 100AMP fuse installed on my three GP24 batteries main line feeding the converter/charger.

* This post was edited 10/13/11 08:22am by RoyB *

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/11 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, since you did not say if they are six volt or 12 volt I can not say "I hope you wired them in ______"

But I will echo the battery cut off switch comment, Also you may have blown your master fuse if you put 'em in wrong.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/11 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say “no inside lights.” Does other 12-volt stuff work, such as your water pump?

SLOW-1

Central NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/11 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem when I put in new batteries, eventually I found the 30 amp breaker that was tripped. Mine was under the dash, completely away from all the other "house" breakers.

Take time to be nice to someone today.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32 (454 Chevy)
Check out our first cross country trip.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No lights on house batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS