RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Under 5000lb Bunkhouse Model Needed to tow with New Explorer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Under 5000lb Bunkhouse Model Needed to tow with New Explorer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's one, the Vibe by forest river.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?location=rv&unittype=&page=floorviewertt&model=6504&choice=vibe&nav=rec&name=4561&series=Vibe6500

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?location=rv&unittype=&page=floorviewertt&model=6504&choice=vibe&nav=rec&name=4561&series=Vibe6500

Vibe by forest river.

steeleshark

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something close to the Explorer that has a lot more towing capability is the new Dodge Durango. Best in class tow rating of 7400lbs. Same price range as the Explorer.

* This post was edited 02/27/12 08:05pm by steeleshark *

2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

perkc2

Marshall, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm wondering why you have ruled out the hybrid option. You can't beat the amount of space you get for the weight. We had 2 hybrids before moving to a travel trailer, they were great. We only moved up to a trailer because of the set-up time for the beds. I love my trailer, but the hybrid was great when our kids were younger and we needed more space in a lightweight trailer.

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're set on a hard-side trailer, you need to be looking around the 3000lb dry weight range. Why?

As others mentioned, the 5000lb tow rating of the Explorer is BEFORE adding the weight of passengers and cargo IN the tow vehicle. Since you mentioned there will be 6 of you, without knowing the ages and weights of the family and assuming some small children, and an adult spouse, figure 500lbs of passengers before the dog, beer cooler, portable games, pillows snack cooler, etc. A guesstimate of 600lbs of passenger stuff isn't out of the question.

So, your 5000lb tow rating is already down to 4400lbs. Now, take a 3000lb dry-weight trailer, add 40 lbs of propane, 40lbs of battery, 210lbs of fresh water (30 gallons), 250lbs of 'stuff' (dishes, pots & pans, utensils, bedding, clothing, etc.), and another 200 lbs of clothing for the family, and your 3000lb camper now tips the scales at 3740lbs. Now, add another 70lbs for a weight distributing hitch and, the total added weight to your rig is 3810lbs.

Before you know it, your rig and passengers are eating up 4410lbs of your 5000lb towing capacity.

As someone that has personally pulled 98% of what my Explorer is rated to tow (and all my numbers were within spec... barely...) I can honestly say I would not want to do that on a regular basis or on any long trips. I was only hauling my boat 7 miles to the launch ramp and back, but it was white-knuckle all the way and the max speed was 35mph (a function of the route, not a limit of the rig).

Now, in the 3000lb dry range, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a hard-side with bunks. It's probably not impossible, but it's going to be tough to keep the weight down. Heck, even a 12-foot low-wall popup with a slide is going to be in the 3500lb range... A small hybrid might fill the bill as well, but weight-wise, you're going to be up near the limit.

Good luck with your search. If it's not too late, Ford has some smokin' rebates on EcoBoost crew cabs right now. In XLT trim, they'll seat 6 (though they'll be 'cozy', but its towing capacity will easily be into the 7000+ range depending on the option package.

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

changed to a clicky

Road Phantom wrote:

Vibe by forest river

That is a really neat floorplan! Had I seen that before our current setup, I might have gone that route.

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
August 2013 Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A youtube said the Vibe 6501 is a 4 season enclosed underbelly heated tanks.

pappcam

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP started this thread in October and has only 2 posts on this forum in total. I think he didn't like the answers he was given.

I guess it's still good info for someone else who is a little too optimistic about their TV's capabilities.

2012 Flagstaff 27 BESS
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zombie topic

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

pchartrand

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checkout the Keystone Passport 238ML. I hear good things about it and I'm looking at one myself, I have the Dodge Durango and this fits my vehicle perfectly. It's not a slide, but unless it's raining or I'm sleeping, I don't plan to be in the trailer all time. So while the extra room in a slide is nice, I can't justify the extra pounds a slide comes with when my TV is not a truck.

Passport 238ML

Good luck and please let us know what you end up purchasing.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2011 Dodge Durango

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Under 5000lb Bunkhouse Model Needed to tow with New Explorer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: