|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Opinions and advise about the Sidewinder

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/11 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck is a long bed, and my Fuzion is a 40' tripple axle. I have yet to get beyond 60 degrees turning around in a court, and 45 in a campground. At 60 degrees the trailer tires don't look very good, and unless I was on dirt / sand I wouldn't want to push it much farther unless I really had to. If the sidewinder would get you to about 60 degrees, go with that, you still have the slider for those (few and far between) turns requiring more. I would not want 24" and only a slider, you could be doing alot of sliding, and miss one and it gets expensive.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Flamebuster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/11 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Husky 16K and didn't like the clearance on my shortbox Ford F-350. So I baught the slider kit for the Husky. It is a manual device. While it works, it was still possible to hit the cab going forward unless I slid the hitch back. This was a pain to me. So I baught the 5th Airbourne sidewinder. It has air ride and shock absorber to reduce all the chucking. I love all the features and never worry about hitting the cab again..Sidewinder feature is fantastic. But a auto slider is nice too..The sales desk at Ole Beast Hitch helped answer all my questions and made sure I got the right set up for my trailer.

Flamebuster
Mattawa Wash.2004 Everest 364Q/2004 F-350 KingRanch

KATOOM

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/11 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flamebuster wrote:

I have the Husky 16K and didn't like the clearance on my shortbox Ford F-350. So I baught the slider kit for the Husky. It is a manual device. While it works, it was still possible to hit the cab going forward unless I slid the hitch back. This was a pain to me. So I baught the 5th Airbourne sidewinder. It has air ride and shock absorber to reduce all the chucking. I love all the features and never worry about hitting the cab again..Sidewinder feature is fantastic. But a auto slider is nice too..The sales desk at Ole Beast Hitch helped answer all my questions and made sure I got the right set up for my trailer.

I appreciate all the input on the Sidewinder hitch but I just keep looking at it thinking to myself its a crazy contraption that's going to place unnecessary stress on the truck hitch and the trailer frame. It just looks weak too.

KATOOM

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/11 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mapguy wrote:

IMO your over thinking this issue. What brand/model is the trailer? 96" or 102" wide? Simple math will determine if eitehr a slider or a sidewinder will work. Personally think the automatic devices - sidewinder, Superglide or auto hijacker hitch are the only way to go.

First thing you need to establish is the King Pin location in relationship to the front cap like the image below. This sets the arc of the cap during turns and a simple string line will tell you if that arc will contact your cab...in the travel (normal) or the rear position of your existing hitch.

Drawing is from Pullrite on their SuperGlide page

As per your drawing..... On the trailer I'm looking at:
figure A is (minus) -16"
figure B is 30.5"

You can see how far the kingpin sits under the trailer, even though its a newer design, which is the reason the trailer to cab measurement is 24".

So by adding a RV5 extension I can expect (A) to be -6" and (B) to be 40.5, respectively. Am I right?

mobilcastle

OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/11 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use an automatic Super Glide hitch and it works well. You may want to consider one of these as it moves the 5ver back aprox 10" as you turn your TV. 24" seems tight to me.

2010 Heartland 3670RL Mor/Ryde PB,dual panes,2-AC,
7000lb axles,G rated LT tires,38' high profile,
2011 Chevy 3500HD,Dually,D/A,LB,EB,4X4,
B&W Companion,GVWR-13,000

Ed9824v

Agua Dulce, Calif. 70 mi S.E. of Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/11 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer has the same configuration your does the pin box went straight down did not extend forward like the picture, I have the superglide and called them they put all the dimensions and told me how to take the dimensions and it showed even with the SG it would not clear my 6.5 foot bed cab. and had to add and extension to the pin box that added about 4in in drop to the pin box as well and I had to push the pin box all the way in and then I put the springs over the axle and the trailer is perfectly level, good ground clearance and clearance over the bed is great and can now turn 90* if I had to. rides nice.

KATOOM wrote:

mapguy wrote:

IMO your over thinking this issue. What brand/model is the trailer? 96" or 102" wide? Simple math will determine if eitehr a slider or a sidewinder will work. Personally think the automatic devices - sidewinder, Superglide or auto hijacker hitch are the only way to go.

First thing you need to establish is the King Pin location in relationship to the front cap like the image below. This sets the arc of the cap during turns and a simple string line will tell you if that arc will contact your cab...in the travel (normal) or the rear position of your existing hitch.

Drawing is from Pullrite on their SuperGlide page

As per your drawing..... On the trailer I'm looking at:
figure A is (minus) -16"
figure B is 30.5"

You can see how far the kingpin sits under the trailer, even though its a newer design, which is the reason the trailer to cab measurement is 24".

So by adding a RV5 extension I can expect (A) to be -6" and (B) to be 40.5, respectively. Am I right?

Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve, You indicate that you are looking at trailers. So you have not bought one yet. And you indicate the ones that interest you most have rounded corners for turning, but DO NOT have an extended pin box. So the pin is 16" behind the front cap. And the back of the pinbox is 30" from the front of the cap.

All of this sounds like a pretty strange design. What make and model is this (or these) trailers? Usually it is more newer models that have contoured front corners for turning. And most newer trailers that are designed for truck cab clearance, have extended pin boxes.

If you have found a trailer that was designed with contoured corners, because they needed to accommodate a vertical pin box mount, the contoured front corners would be very little (but minor) benefit.

If it were me, I would be looking at a different model. With a more contemporary pinbox design. I would be careful about putting any kind of extended pinbox, or pinbox extension (like the Sidewinder) on this design trailer. To me it sounds like maybe this trailer was not designed for the added stress of a pinbox extension.

The best option if you stay with this trailer would be to buy a longbox truck for it.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Flamebuster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KATOOM wrote:

Flamebuster wrote:

I appreciate all the input on the Sidewinder hitch but I just keep looking at it thinking to myself its a crazy contraption that's going to place unnecessary stress on the truck hitch and the trailer frame. It just looks weak too.

If the trailer dosn't already have an extended pin box, I would not install the sidewinder with out the mfg. approval's for the added stress on the frame. If it has a extended pin box, you will be fine. The side winder is very strong and I wouldn't worry about it.
If you go with the 5th Airbourne Sidewinder you will need a couple of guys to help install it because it is heavy. Using the universal wedge will work well but I have read the custom wedge for the different hitchs is even better because it will be tighter and less play..
A large hitch distributer can usually give sound advice for model of trailer and truck.
As others mentioned if the trailer does not have an extended pin box, you just might want to look for a different trailer..

jbc28

Gadsden, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 5th Airborne Sidewinder on my 102" wide KZ. It didn't have the long extended pin box originally. I first purchased a used Superglide, but it would not allow a full 90 deg turn. I sold the Superglide and went with a Sidewinder. I called Dexter/Leland and spoke with an engineer prior to purchasing it. He indicated that I would be fine up to the maximum GVWR for my camper.

I prefer the Sidewinder over the Superglide. It is much easier to remove the hitch (18k Super5th) now, since it weighs much less. I also like the way the Sidewinder lets the trailer react while backing or turning sharply. I saw no difference in handling with either set up...other than the improved ride from the 5th Airborne.

06 F350 DRW cab & chassis, CM bed, 4x4, crew cab, Lariat
05 KZ Sportster 37KX2L

KATOOM

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys. Yes, the trailer does have an normal extended kingpin box. It just doesn't reach out as far as most newer trailer kingpin boxes you normally see where the pin is ahead of the trailer. Here is a picture of a trailer that looks almost like the one I'm interested in but its not exactly the same. The front of the trailer is the same and you can see the normal extended kingpin box but its covered by what looks like a beauty cover.
[/img]

I guess it didnt work.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Opinions and advise about the Sidewinder
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: