RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Winterizing Splendine Washer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winterizing Splendine Washer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Judy1187

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/11 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just finished winterizing the MH. Today I read the instructions on the splendine washer and realiized I didn't do it quite right. It says to first run cold water until you see it in the drum. Then spin it out and do the same with hot water. I just set the temp on warm thinking water would come thru both lines. This saves steps, but does it do the job? It could be costly if I'm wrong!

BillofPA

York, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/11 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You SHOULD be OK. However I do it like the book says just to make sure that both the hot and cold solenoid valves are working. If you put the dial on warm you will get water but if one of the valves is not working you won't know it.

Jenny & Bill
2004 H/Rambler Ambassador 34PDD
Cummins ISC330 Allison 6 speed
2003 Chevy Malibu Toad
Our new Yorkie, Daisy.

cbeierl

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/11 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't count on 'warm' doing the job. Best solution is to turn off the hot water line and select 'cold', running it until you see the antifreeze in the drum. Drain the drum and then do the same thing with the cold water off and the hot on and 'hot' selected. That's the only way to guarantee that both hot and cold solenoid valves get properly winterized (I speak from experience here).

Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

toughnut

usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/11 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbeierl wrote:

I wouldn't count on 'warm' doing the job. Best solution is to turn off the hot water line and select 'cold', running it until you see the antifreeze in the drum. Drain the drum and then do the same thing with the cold water off and the hot on and 'hot' selected. That's the only way to guarantee that both hot and cold solenoid valves get properly winterized (I speak from experience here).

yes but your using antifreeze and OP is using water as per instructions hes readng

wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/11 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Judy1187 wrote:

We just finished winterizing the MH. Today I read the instructions on the splendine washer and realiized I didn't do it quite right. It says to first run cold water until you see it in the drum. Then spin it out and do the same with hot water. I just set the temp on warm thinking water would come thru both lines. This saves steps, but does it do the job? It could be costly if I'm wrong!

You're right, it can get costly unless you can make the replacement yourself after it freezes and breaks.

I did mine that way with the warm setting as the manual said to do in 2004 when the coach was new for the first winter and had water leaks the next spring. Splendid then sent me new instructions, do it once with the cold setting and again with the hot setting. They furnished the replacement piece and I was able to replace the broken one. Since there is no hot water coming from the water heater the warm setting gets no pink stuff through the hot channel and leaves plain water setting there. It's all plastic on that water director and any water left in there will freeze and break.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's an $1100 gamble. Do you feel lucky? ;-)

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2003 Monaco Executive M43 DS2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winterizing Splendine Washer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS