|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/11 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Shoe wrote:

I joined at 50 when I was first eligible. Then I found out that virtually all of their discounts and deals are only available to members 65 and older. I never renewed. Their junk mail, on the other hand, is available for life and possibly longer.

That's interesting. I don't recall seeing that anyplace on their website. Is that one of those details they don't mention until you pay your dues?

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/11 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Thanks. I have my cars and my homeowners through Farmers Insurance and I have been with them since the 70's. They are one of the more expensive companies, but because I've been with them for so long, I can never find anybody that can beat their prices for me. That is one thing I wanted to look at through AARP

Same here. We started with Farmers in '62.
We joined AARP about 8 years ago and enjoy their discounts/other benifits. We also saved over 450 bucks a year just on two of our vehicles with a much better plan and even more on other equipment I own.

I hated to drop Farmers but they priced themselves out of the market here in Oklahoma.

That is good to know. They beat Farmers prices and you have been with Farmers longer than me. I found prices that match what I have through Farmers, and I think Geico was a couple of dollars cheaper, but I'm not going to change insurance unless it's significantly cheaper. One danger of changing insurance is if you have an at fault claim shortly after you change. There's a good chance the new company may drop you. But if I have an at fault claim with Farmers they aren't going to drop me since I've been with them so long. So you can't just change for a couple of dollars.

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hershey wrote:

Besides the political issues, AARP makes Good Sam look like rookies when it comes to bombarding you with daily mailings. Course we get the mailings even if you aren't a member of AARP. I see no need for being a member of AARP. I suggest choosing carefully.

X3

Ray

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never seen the over 65 discount mentioned.I get way more back in savings then the few dollars the membership costs,and I'm no where near 65.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO, I signed up for 3 years and regret every penny. Oh well, live and learn; I Won't make that mistake again. I get far better (and more places) discounts with my wife's AAA card.

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use their hotel discounts to my advantage. I easily get the $16 a year back in hotel discounts. As for AAA, their discount is about the same (varies from hotel to hotel), but the last time I checked, their annual fee was higher than AARP.

As for junk mail, I don't notice any extra stuff from them compared to all the other junk I get. It's lost in the noise.

MrsSoCalToolGuy

Fountain Valley Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

NO, I signed up for 3 years and regret every penny. Oh well, live and learn; I Won't make that mistake again. I get far better (and more places) discounts with my wife's AAA card.

X2
Barb

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Yellowboat.

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AARP bombarded me with junk mail. I sent them letters saying that I wasn’t interested but their junk mail just kept coming. I started returning all of their prepaid return envelopes telling them no thanks. They stopped sending junk mail.

JD

2005 Winnebago Sightseer on a 2006 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Mac our Pom
JD & Kathy

Chrisatthebeach

The beautiful low country of South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/11 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yellowboat. wrote:

AARP bombarded me with junk mail. I sent them letters saying that I wasn’t interested but their junk mail just kept coming. I started returning all of their prepaid return envelopes telling them no thanks. They stopped sending junk mail.

JD

That is what I did with every one that they sent trying to get me to join, I never joined and eventually after sending overstuffed envelopes back to them they quit bothering me.

When I get the mail from the post office box, I leave all the junk mail and papers in the trash at the post office, that way they get to throw away what they profited from stuffing in my box.

Chris & Dianne plus two boys, both of them are Eagle Scouts.
Jayco Designer 3110
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/11 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you compare insurance rates you have to figure that each state has their own insurance dept and regulations. AARP also gets a cut of every policy they endorse so that comes from your premiums. My father still gets an occasional letter from them and he died in 1993. He also got a good app for an amazing credit card the other day.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS