RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Better to winterize or supplement heat

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Better to winterize or supplement heat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
eodguy2

east central IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for input. I got to thinking, not sure if some pipes run underneath for some of the length of trailer or not. Sorry its jayco jayfeather exp 232.

eodguy2

east central IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck_S wrote:

Electric heat is inefficient compared to your furnace, but there should be a never ending supply of electricity when plugged in compared to the limits of your LP tanks.

-- Chuck

I believe I've heard these furnaces are around +/-60% efficient compared to 100% for an electric heater so I'd go with the electric if it's sittin' in the driveway compared to burning propane.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're just trying to prevent freezing electric will be fine. If you want to keep warm you'll probably need the furnace.

I'm talking about efficiency as how much heat can I get.

In a camper 5000 BTU electric heater at maxed out at 15 amps is much less efficient than 19,000 BTU from the furnace at producing heat, the object of the exercise. Heating a house by electricity is less efficient than with gas. My daughter's "first apartment" (she just started grad school) has electric heat. Have to see how she controls the cost in Bloominging, IN.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/11 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a side note to winter/cold weather camping, furnaces are great at bringing the inside temp up in a hurry but once there the nice even always on heat of the electric heaters will keep a decently insulated camper warm well into -20C/-4F without any trouble at all with only the occassional help from the propane furnace. My very real world experience.

Just saying.

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/11 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a part of our fall "routine". We, too, are forecast for 28 - 32 degrees here in West TN tonight. Simple process.....we set up one of the electric ceramic heaters to about 60 degrees, open all the cabinet doors, take water pressure off simply by opening the faucets until no more water comes out and then close them up. We always have a few cold snaps before we're actually ready to winterize and this works like a charm.

PS - Don't forget the bathroom vanity door and leave the bathroom door open for more circulation. You'll be fine.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
5 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are 6 mo old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/11 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like Shum we supplement the furnace with a 15 amp electric heater when camping. Once the cabin is warmed up the heater continues to run while the furnace rarely kicks on.

In the driveway the heater works fine by itself to keep the interior above freezing.

-- Chuck

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/11 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't leave a space heater unattended in a MH. It's an accident waiting to happen. If I am using one for a chilly day, I unplug it if I have to leave the MH no matter if its a few minutes.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/11 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

I won't leave a space heater unattended in a MH. It's an accident waiting to happen. If I am using one for a chilly day, I unplug it if I have to leave the MH no matter if its a few minutes.

Why?

Most every unit I have has themal breakers,tip over switches and is protected from shorting by your breakers.

If your serioulsy worried about electric fan heaters get a baseboard or oil filled unit.

As a note CLEAN all of these on a regular basis as well. Cleaning goes a long way toward extending their life and making sure they operate correctly. This is especially true if you have a lot of pet hair/dander in the unit.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/11 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02 wrote:

rockhillmanor wrote:

Why? FOR SAFETY REASONS!

Most every unit I have has themal breakers,tip over switches and is protected from shorting by your breakers.
Thought the same too, Check my thread out about the one I just bought!
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac........d/25497950/gotomsg/25499431.cfm#25499431

If your seriously worried about electric fan heaters get a baseboard or oil filled unit. I have an oil filled unit, and still will not leave it unattended. Neighbor was a fireman....I've heard it all about space heaters and I just prefer not to have me or my 'go up in a ball of flames in a second' MH become a statistic.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Better to winterize or supplement heat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS