RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A look in the mirror the way RVers are sometimes viewed...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> A look in the mirror the way RVers are sometimes viewed...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please don't turn this in to a "Irish Pub Fight"! Merely an observation and friendly attempt to wake some of us up!

This is a newspaper Quote-"I recently attended the Tradex RV Show and was appalled by the number of older, overweight couples that were there.

If you need help up the three steps into an RV, doesn’t that tell you and your spouse that the money should be spent on your health issues first, so that you could enjoy your RV longer?

Don’t these people love each other enough to help themselves? Eighty per cent is an outrageous number of older people to be overweight.

Please talk with each other, RVing can be so much fun in later life, if you’re healthy enough to enjoy it."

(From abbotsfordtimes.com)

God help me, before I saw this article my wife and I noted this ourselves at the Pomona RV Show last week. And not just a few pounds over weight, I mean substantial "walking with a cane" waddling weight!

Is this the visual that people see when they think about RVers? Is it an accurite observation?

Older, yes..after all we often are retired, and have the money and time to RV. Some of us like to camp for the outdoors experience, and we bike or walk, fish or hike. But for others it's merely yet another place to sit in their recliner and watch the interesting "other" people doing activities.

I have worked as a volunteer at a local Hospital since I retired from a 30 year Police career, my DW has a few years before retirement. And every day what do I see in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, to be blunt...old fat people! Or just fat people. As many women as men..used to be virtually all men only in the Cardiac wards years ago. Now the women are joining us in the "bypass club".

I was finding my weight creeping up over the last few years, and since I started walking between 3 and 5 miles a day, around the Hospital, I am now back at the weight I was as a cop. Lost 20 lbs. We eat much more fruits, nuts and salads, less fast food.

Passed my cardiac tredmill test with flying colors. My back doesn't hurt any more, I sleep better, don't get out of breath, my legs and calves (I'm 57) look like a 18 yo high school athletes! My wife and I even take our Golden Retriever Abby for a walk when I get home!

Boiled down..we all need to dispell the visual image us RVers have aparently achieved. As our older bodies start to do the usual falling apart, we don't really have any control over aging. But we CAN take better care of ourselves..right?

By the way..as a foot note I've has 2 stress related bypass surguries in my life, one at age 28, (I was the youngest bypass patient by far in the Hospital!) and a total of 5 heart grafts. I don't want to be on that table EVER again!

Oddly enough, when I tryed to find pictures of "old, fat RVers"...this is all I could find!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty short sighted to make such a comment about an RV show. All they need to do is walk into any mall, any department store, any grocery store, any restaurant, any busy pedestrian street, etc. May even just need to look in the mirror.
While it is a sad state of the overall health scene, it is by no means limited to any one segment. Certainly not limited by age as the number of overweight young people is a shame. And is a disservice to all to imply that any one group is more prone to overweight than any other.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVers are merely a cross section of the community as a whole. No better, no worse, no sicker or no healthier. Can't imagine any reason anyone would think otherwise. If those observations are true of RVers (and I'm not saying they are not) they are also true of the population as a whole and statistics I've seen seem to confirm that.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I'll observe. Wife and I are both handicapped. Wife uses a cane when see feels good enough to not need to use her handicap scooter. No she can not do steps on our TT, which is why we installed an elevator. I use a cane sometimes, especially to aid stability. We are both overweight. If a magic pill exists to let us be able to walk miles, please let us know where to find it! I can likely walk a mile, slowly. My wife is limited to perhaps several hundred feet.

We may be overweight, we may be handicapped, but we are out and about enjoying RVing. See you out there, hopefully enjoying life as much as we do.

Just my small vent reply. Can't say I've ever been in an Irish pub.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truth hurts, so most people that read this are going to get defensive. Americans need to put down the fork. Our family works hard to stay in shape. No, we don't work out but we eat a healthy diet in appropriate portions and pass up the junk food and sweets for the most part. Sometimes we even leave the table slightly hungry but that feeling only lasts a few minutes and we don't die - it's called willpower folks. Something Americans are in short supply of.
It would be a lot more fun to just eat as much of anything as we wan't but we are taking responsibility for our own health.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to say that when my wife and I were down in Florida and RV'd back we did notice something we hadn't witnessed much this side of the border. That was the LARGE number of people using motorized vehicles (golf carts and scooters) to get around rather than walking (to the point we felt we'd missed some notice and wondered if we were missing out) I also saw more "All you can eat buffet restaurants" serving just about anything you could imagine for prices that were cheaper than I could ever imagine. We don't really see those things here much except the chinneese retaurants. So, I read your post and I thoght.. hmmm.. Who's to blame? I beleive it's cheaper and faster for people to make the poor choice (diet wise) than the healthy one.. The carts.. well.. Can't justify that. It does take effort to do the right thing.. There are no REAL excuses for being overwieght.

I know many people will say. "I can't do this and I can't do that because my health is like this or like that". I'm pretty sure however I could find many examples of people that are much worse off and yet maintain a healty lifestyle and is probably better off for it. Ever watch the biggest looser? People on there can't walk and still loose 14lbs in a week doing other activities..

That being said.. I don't think of overwieght and old when I think of RVer. Perhaps however it's a demographic thing? (as in I can think of places where it seems the enviroment encourages a healthy lifestyle, think of mountain towns)

Just thought of something.. Have you EVER seen a real skinny person on one of those electric carts at Walmart? Isn't that strange?

Oh.. BTW.. I just started my quest to loose 20lbs or so.. hit the 200 mark and decided that although it was a fun summer, it was time to stop making excuses and pay the price..

* This post was edited 10/19/11 11:22am by five'er *

2009 1500 Dodge Sport QC, Prodigy Brake Controller, 2009 KZ 266 MXT

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The interesting thing is that they do it to themselves. And yes, I did it to myself. I'm now down by 20 pounds and 4 inches in the waist over the last year. Taking it off that slowly makes it much more likely that it will stay off. I know that the pounds kinda sneak up on us but shouldn't there be a lesson when you have to keep buying larger clothes?

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Movin' on

western Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our food is killing us. Ever since they started putting high fructose corn syrup in everything, people started getting fat and many more people are diabetic. Fat people say they can't exercize, well lose some weight then you can. You don't have to starve yourself just eat real food.... Fruit, veggies and chicken or fish and not too much meat. Lay off anything white. No packaged processed junk. Not had enough to eat? More fresh fruit. Feel better? I do!

2000 Newmar Dutchstar 3365 V-10/Banks
2013 Chevy Captiva Sport

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm enjoying my popcorn extra butter and cheese!! We are all different and that's what makes the world go round.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I imagine that most everyone could be in better shape.....and not just RVers. Isn't it ironic, that the folks at the gym every day, are the ones who seem to think that they need it, and yet, they are typically the ones in the best of shape. (I'm talking about the hard bodies...not the fatties)

I know that I could lose more weight, and be in better shape. I do a little here and there....but then again, if I went out and REALLY worked out, I wouldn't have time to sit here and give you all my wonderful insights

It's a double edged sword

Finally, I think that anyone who gets out and about, in their RV or not, is doing something good for themselves. Not everyone can walk 2-5 miles, but they can walk around the grocery store...leaning on the carriage, and that's something! A pedometer is great...if you can add a extra couple of steps each day, eventually, you'll be up there.....
Water exercising at the YMCA is great too!

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> A look in the mirror the way RVers are sometimes viewed...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS