RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A look in the mirror the way RVers are sometimes viewed...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> A look in the mirror the way RVers are sometimes viewed...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
7.3 psdman

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/11 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might be a few pounds over or under at times but one thing I have noticed lately is the amount of food served at restaurants seems to be increasing. Maybe they should have small -medium and large portions instead of assuming that everybody wants a big banquet. A lot of times I would be happy to pay for a smaller meal and have the same choices off the menu. Canadian fellow down in Fl. said "they serve you enough for three meals down here"- I told him I usually take leftovers home too.

Hot Rod Guy

Princeton B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/11 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well...I'm amazed anyone would feel they have to defend themselves here....we live in a democracy where you can drive what you like, smoke, eat what you like, walk or not, ride if you wish, we live in the best educated society in history and those who feel it is their right to judge others need to examine their own lives, few of us are perfect. I find those who get on the obesity bandwagon, rarely have a weight issue, and can't understand the complexity of weight loss. The rule of life is....live and let live.

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/11 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

we live in the best educated society in history
Maybe you're referring to Canada. You couldn't possibly mean the USA!

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/11 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog and I walk about thirty miles a week, As we both hope to avoid the Hover Round program.

He however, looks like an Olympic athelete of the dog world, Me, well lets just say not so much.

He claims, it is becuase he has no access to beer and ice cream. While I at times do enjoy liberal amounts of both, espically the beer part.

I dispute that claim, I feel it must be becuase I am big boned, or some other reason that has nothing to do with beer, ice cream or second helpings.

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 02:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually what I think the OP was trying to do is to start the so-called "Irish Pub Fight." What?! We could all jump on him/her for belitttling the Irish now, couldn't we?

Don't judgemental people tend to *&^ you off? Oh, I am being judgemental about judgemental people...sorry about that!

Besides obesity, there are other problems out there. Lets see how many we can name! Lets judge them all! Oops! I thought that was God's job.

Actually I would like to see RV people support each other in their endeavors to support each others' healthier lifestyles. I think that at one time in the past when my in-laws were going all over the country there might have existed such a spirit among the RVers. Now, it seems pretty much "each one for him/herself. With exceptions, of course.

It might be nice to have a RV net support groups for weight management and other medical problems. It would be a lot more constructive than looking down your nose at fat people, disabled people, ugly people, drunks, smokers, and other public menaces. Would we even have enough support and traffic on this particular forum for that though?

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Please don't turn this in to a "Irish Pub Fight"! Merely an observation and friendly attempt to wake some of us up!

This is a newspaper Quote-"I recently attended the Tradex RV Show and was appalled by the number of older, overweight couples that were there.

If you need help up the three steps into an RV, doesn’t that tell you and your spouse that the money should be spent on your health issues first, so that you could enjoy your RV longer?

Don’t these people love each other enough to help themselves? Eighty per cent is an outrageous number of older people to be overweight.

Please talk with each other, RVing can be so much fun in later life, if you’re healthy enough to enjoy it."

(From abbotsfordtimes.com)

God help me, before I saw this article my wife and I noted this ourselves at the Pomona RV Show last week. And not just a few pounds over weight, I mean substantial "walking with a cane" waddling weight!

Is this the visual that people see when they think about RVers? Is it an accurite observation?

Older, yes..after all we often are retired, and have the money and time to RV. Some of us like to camp for the outdoors experience, and we bike or walk, fish or hike. But for others it's merely yet another place to sit in their recliner and watch the interesting "other" people doing activities.

I have worked as a volunteer at a local Hospital since I retired from a 30 year Police career, my DW has a few years before retirement. And every day what do I see in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, to be blunt...old fat people! Or just fat people. As many women as men..used to be virtually all men only in the Cardiac wards years ago. Now the women are joining us in the "bypass club".

I was finding my weight creeping up over the last few years, and since I started walking between 3 and 5 miles a day, around the Hospital, I am now back at the weight I was as a cop. Lost 20 lbs. We eat much more fruits, nuts and salads, less fast food.

Passed my cardiac tredmill test with flying colors. My back doesn't hurt any more, I sleep better, don't get out of breath, my legs and calves (I'm 57) look like a 18 yo high school athletes! My wife and I even take our Golden Retriever Abby for a walk when I get home!

Boiled down..we all need to dispell the visual image us RVers have aparently achieved. As our older bodies start to do the usual falling apart, we don't really have any control over aging. But we CAN take better care of ourselves..right?

By the way..as a foot note I've has 2 stress related bypass surguries in my life, one at age 28, (I was the youngest bypass patient by far in the Hospital!) and a total of 5 heart grafts. I don't want to be on that table EVER again!

Oddly enough, when I tryed to find pictures of "old, fat RVers"...this is all I could find!

2007 Damon Challenger
2005 Saturn Ion

Moli, our sweet Lab Mix
Gus, our insane, sweet Cat

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 02:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hot Rod Guy wrote:

Well...I'm amazed anyone would feel they have to defend themselves here....we live in a democracy where you can drive what you like, smoke, eat what you like, walk or not, ride if you wish, we live in the best educated society in history and those who feel it is their right to judge others need to examine their own lives, few of us are perfect. I find those who get on the obesity bandwagon, rarely have a weight issue, and can't understand the complexity of weight loss. The rule of life is....live and let live.

Yep! People even have the right to be ughly if they want to. It is their own business.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't win for nothin'. I was 295# and 5'11". I decided I should lose some weight before I hit the 300# mark. I lost 60# to get to 235 and now I am 5'8". I used to be a taller fat guy and now I am a short fat guy. Except for DW having to shorten mt pants I can still wear all the old clothes. I did go from a 52" waist to a 46" one though. I still have to pay the extra price at the fat man shops. I have my own scooter but the leg problem came on in a 1 hr. time period about 6 years ago. After back surgery to cure all my pain so I could walk again I have no pain but still can't walk very far. I had no pain before the surgery either.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

talonhead

SE CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/11 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am retired from the navy after lining in a sewerpipe (submarine) for 20 yrs. I went to work for a Gov't contracter right away. I got a few minor issues from walking on nothing but concetet and steel for the last 30 yrs. But a few car crashes early in life, trying to stuff this older, not so flexible body into places that most kids won't even think of going has taken it's toll over the years. When you get stove up, and can't excercise, it's hard to get back at it (at least for me). I used to work outside at home some during the summer. Along with cooking on the barby and a few beverages along the way. Then Fall would come along, and I would get my pack, climbing stand out. Shoot my bow a lot more, and spend every Sat. mid- Sept. thru Dec. in the woods. Kept my weight down, built up some strength, and just felt better. Then I got hurt, almost couldn't get dressed by my self, took weeks before I could lift my hands above the waist. No hunting that year, stuck doing paper work for for 4 months while I was recovering along with phys. ther. 3 days aweek. I have gotten a little less motivated since I have to remind myself to not 'push' too hard, and wind my a$$ back in a sling.
When you get banged up, starting when you're young, you feel it later. When your body starts wearing out, it's hard to keep pushing. Several guys that I work with, work hard, play hard (all over 50) but they don't take good care of themselves. 3 have come up with diabetes in the last 3 years. Now it's harder for them to keep the weight in check, and other issues have popped up.
But alot of this is happening to kids in school or just out.
I don't have a solution for everybody, but I'm taking a turn at helping myself.
I don't go to the Mall much, but I have seen the obeisity in increasingly younger people.
Mike

2014 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Dually 4WD (True Blue Pearl) w/Alcoa's & paint match bumpers.
1999 Ford F250 Lariat CC/SB V10 4WD
2000 24 5P Prowler 5th wheel.
[URL=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/talonhead/media/Towing/imagejpg1_zps7e7f696d.jpg.html]

RV daytrader

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/11 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7.3 psdman wrote:

I might be a few pounds over or under at times but one thing I have noticed lately is the amount of food served at restaurants seems to be increasing. Maybe they should have small -medium and large portions instead of assuming that everybody wants a big banquet. A lot of times I would be happy to pay for a smaller meal and have the same choices off the menu. Canadian fellow down in Fl. said "they serve you enough for three meals down here"- I told him I usually take leftovers home too.

When my girlfriend and I eat out we usually share a meal...thats how big the average restaurant meal is nowadays!

YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/11 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First there are two things I'd like to say, "A recent study has proven that recent studies are useless" and "75% 0f all statistics are made up".

I am 70 something and 6' even, weigh 250 lbs. My Dr would like me to lose about 50lbs but not by dieting, by walking briskly for 30 minutes a day. Says it is better than dieting and will prolong my life by several years. My blood pressure is in the 120 to 125 over 68 to 75 area, respriation is 67, heart rate is about 73 to 80. Twenty years ago I rode a bicycle a couple hundred miles a week, until a respritory problem slowed me down to a walk. Right now I am in line for a TKR Jan. 31, 2012. I do not regularly use any prescription drugs, even cut out pain pills. The Dr still wants me to do the walking thing. A recent study printed in I believe JAMA, stated that being overweight (now called obese) is not necessarily a bad thing. Some folks are doing just fine. Forgot about the blood sugar levels, right where the Dr wants them.

Odds are (statistically speaking) I will die of old age, even the cancer I have isn't likely to kill me. Statics show that 85% of men will have one form of cancer when they die but it won't be what they died from(Another study). When I was preparing to retire, I took a class with my wife which was supposed to help me adjust to retirement. The seminar leader gave us all a test and the answer to the test was suppose to be the age at which you would die. Based on statistical averages that is. I should have died last year according to the test. Being on borrowed time, overweight, and seditary, sure seems like a bad spot for me, but, excluding the pain from the knee, I feel fine, but I do have a hard time keeping up with my 11 and 10 year old grandchildren when were in Arches walking out to see Landscape Arch or climbing up and down the ladders and stairways at Mesa Verde, or hiking around Convict Lake in the Sierra at about 7500 feet.

Would it be better for me to lose 50 pounds, probably, but...

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> A look in the mirror the way RVers are sometimes viewed...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS