|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> V10--torgue improvement needed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sicduc

las vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone had the Banks System installed in there unit or know anyone that has? I just picked up a 39ft V-10 and on my way back from cali to vegas going thru the passes it was reving high (4000-4500) but it never dropped below 50mph.. I think if you plan on keeping your unit then the Banks is a must. But it you plan on trading up to a dp save the $$$$.. I think they say the Banks system is around $2200ish plus install which I don't think is to bad to pick up 80hp and I think about the same in Torque.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 Toy Hauler

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything that I have read says Banks stuff is a waste of money on the 2006 and later F-53, but hey, if you want to spend money, go for it.

Bbasso

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call Mike and talk to him, 5 Star.

RLS7201

Very Very

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate wrote:

Everything that I have read says Banks stuff is a waste of money on the 2006 and later F-53, but hey, if you want to spend money, go for it.

You have been misinformed. Goto Banks web site. The 30 valve engine gets slightly more performance than the 20 valve engine, when installing the Power Pack Kit.

Richard

lakings10

CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2011 V-10 and can't say enough good things about it. Coming home from picking it up, had to hit the baker grade just outside of Vegas and was able to maintain 50-55 up the whole thing. I really wanted a Diesel, but glad I went this route.

2015 Thor Hurricane 27k

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

restorodder wrote:

We actually got better gas milage,than when I kept the RPM's below 3400 RPM's.

I think a lot of people miss this point about a fully loaded gas truck engine. Increasing the RPM's let the engine work less therefore better MPG in many cases because they can better stay in their power band.

While a different engine our MPG increased by 1-2 MPG when traveling at 70 MPH in the MH when we lowered the gear ratio by 2.5% by changing from 8R 19.5 tires to 225/70 19.5 tires.

Look at this Prius's RPM increase by 50% going up a not to steep grade.

No a Prius and MH are NOT identical but to hit 50 MPG they opt to greatly increase the RPM due to the engine load increasing.

Could it have something to do with keeping the small engine in its power BAND?

While our MH's do not have a CVT like the Prius we can force a major jump in RPM on major hills by down shifting once and twice for hills that drop us below 55 MPH in our case.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gone2dadesert wrote:

OP,
What are your towing expectations?
To tow your vehicle at 75+ mph up a 7% grade and get 20mpg?
Except for the 20 mpg, I just did that 2 weeks ago, only the toad weighs 4600 lbs, and I started the bottom of the hill at 60 mph, so it is possible.

Even though your situation is different, as others are telling you, let the engine spin. You have more HP than many of the diesels. You won't feel that HP, unless the engine is spinning and the peddle is on the floor. Gassers are still turning low RPMs at cruise, trying to improve mileage. This means they will shift a lot when they need power. The power is there, but it needs to shift to access that power.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/11 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

Pirate wrote:

You have been misinformed. Goto Banks web site. The 30 valve engine gets slightly more performance than the 20 valve engine, when installing the Power Pack Kit.

Richard
Like I said, it's your money.

two slides

Bright, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/11 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what you're expecting but we just can back from Myrtle Beach on 10/16, took I-77 thru Carolinas, Virginia 7 W. Virginia plus up on Blue Ridge Pky. with my v-10 & toad. gotta keep those rpm's up will pull hills ok. your probably familiar with those mountain roads. we had no problems. just wish fall trees had more color.

StevenMarla

Orcas Island, San Juan Islands, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got my packet from Banks. Their Rep offered me a $300 discount if ordered and shipped direct to my service shop. The Banks performance numbers are impressive and a bit better mpg's to boot.

I must say tho, even with just one trip in our new 08 Four Winds Hurricane 34B I was very pleased with the V10 power. Going over Donner Summit on I80 was no problem. But who doesn't want more power & torque. :'}. Not sure if I want to spend the $ now tho.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> V10--torgue improvement needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS