|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winter Camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
eldondo

great plains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The situation would be, hooked up to 30 amp hookup. The Rv is winterized. We would basically be using our RV for a bedroom, living room and dog house. We would run the fridge. Both air conditioners have electric heaters in them so we could run at least one of these. It will be well below freezing much of the time. We will be at our families place so we will shower, etc. in their cabin. The rv also has propane forced air furnace if needed. Has anyone done something similar? Think it will work? 94 Newmar MountainAire.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldondo wrote:

The situation would be, hooked up to 30 amp hookup. The Rv is winterized. We would basically be using our RV for a bedroom, living room and dog house. We would run the fridge. Both air conditioners have electric heaters in them so we could run at least one of these. It will be well below freezing much of the time. We will be at our families place so we will shower, etc. in their cabin. The rv also has propane forced air furnace if needed. Has anyone done something similar? Think it will work? 94 Newmar MountainAire.

It's winterized, so you should be fine. So long as you think the heater is warm enough, nothing else is going to be bothered. I am not sure the heat strips on the AC will be warm enough for temps well below freezing. Make sure your propane tanks are full in case you need that forced air furnace (and in those temps I am thinking you will), or buy a nice ceramic electric heater to help those heat strips if you don't want to use a lot of propane. It will be a lot cheaper to use the electric heater, if the person you are getting the electric from doesn't mind.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the only problem you will encounter is it will cost a small fortune to keep it heated to a comfortable level while it's below freezing outside. I get the impression you are talking about a long term camping trip, but you didn't say that. A few days is one thing, but I would guess several hundreds of dollars on the electric bill per month.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Eyegor

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. As long as you have a 30 amp electric supply and aren't paying the bill, the only thing you have to worry about is exposed tanks or plumbing. Everything else will be fine. I have no experience with the heat strips but I too think a supplemental electric heater or two will be necessary. Even when I winter camp with no hook-ups I bring a supplemental electric heater. Of course, I don't run either the heater or the furnace continuously. If noise isn't a problem, I like to fire up the coach's engine in the morning to help take the chill off and keep the juices flowing.

87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.

missscarlet9

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have winter camped for over 8 years. We winterize fully as you have done and actually use the toilet using RV A.F. as a flush liquid. We do this only if there is a 4 season dumping station available. We used to camp for extended periods at a local ski hill.

We've never had a problem. We find that it's extremely quiet and calming staying at campgrounds with NO ONE there. We do a lot of walking and talking. We've camped in temperatures as low as -20c.

We're not about to give it up. We rarely camp in July/August. We leave the campgrounds, highways, tourist destinations to the families and kids during that time.

My suggestion is to try it once for a short time, perhaps 1 night or maybe 2.

Livin' the dream!

generalexam

usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldondo wrote:

dont use LPG heat as the moisture it generates is extreme in those cold temps.Try and use electric as much as possible

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are asking for trouble by not having a vented heater or fire place. Any heater with a flame has to be vented or else it will kill you. That is one reason why they got rid of the fuel supplied camper lights many years ago. It sucks up all the oxygen and emits carbon monoxide poison.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 of the small ceramic heaters and run both on low one in front and one in the rear sometimes 1st thing in the AM we have the one up front on high to get the living quarters up to temp. Only have to do this if temps are mid teens, never camped below 15 deg.

I guess you could use the non vented propane heater but I would be a little worried since it is a fairly small space.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Bob Shaw

Newnan Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do what I do and get a heated mattress pad. That way when the temperature goes down at night, you'll be warm and toasty in bed. And, if you turn it on a little before going to bed, you'll have a nice warm bed to slide into.

eldondo

great plains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I think, if it happens the way I think it might, it will be a week or 10 days at at a time during the winter and early spring. Maybe about three sessions during that time period. It might be that I could just leave it set in place for that time period. I've got another crazy idea I would like to run past anyone who would care to comment. For the past five years I have been heating my home exclusively with a vent free propane heater in my basement and a vent free propane fireplace insert in my living room. Why could't I buy a small one for my rv, run a line to the tank. Actually I have access to a 500 gallon propane tank we could haul out there and hook it up when needed. ???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winter Camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS