|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/11 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

I have stayed at cheap KOAs and have seen parks that are expensive. It doesn't have to be a KOA to be over priced. If you don't like the price, drive down the road. If you don't want to pay for or use the pool or rec-hall, go to a park that doesn't have them.

x2

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/11 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed at several KOAs. Never have been happy with rates and especially surprise costs. Did get a Military discount as Disabled Vet now it is only active or retired.
They charge based on if it is a destination park such as Nashville etc, not on the quality of the park. Some of the parks are making small improvements but none of them are worth the price. I started to name names but no. Their advertisments, in the KOA book and others paint pretty pictures not worthy of them or downright deceitful.
They are delapidated, one concrete pad that you can wash your RV on at thirty something cents a foot. Charges for laundry and everything is way high. The fifty amp had a screw in it so you could only use the thirty amp. Apparently to supply two 30 amp legs on two adjacent sites.
Object of discussion was RVers parking at Wal Mart etc and making them use the parks. Others are the similar. Either a train or Interstate or both 50 ft away. I like some of them but they are way to high for what they offer and the extra charges are unconscienable. There are good bad and indifferent across America. I'm not telling my favorites.

okgc

Southern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/11 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are not big fans of KOA campgrounds but will stay in them if they are a good value for the area. Some of their specials can make them great deals, like the two for one deals when in Canada last summer.

Don't have a problem with extra cost on some weekends as it happens all the time at hotels.

2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with Chevy HHR or GMC Envoy
Alaska bound in 2015

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/11 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Man of the Mountain wrote:

.... and on top of that they charged a $5 resort fee each person.

This is not confined to KOA's and I've seen a steady increase in rates across all CG's - family-owned and corporate entities. Now the fact that in your case some amenities were not available after Labor Day is another matter.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 12:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are what they are and you either like or don't. We have stayed in 3 different ones. All above $40/night. One was nearly twice that much. For the most part, they appeal to us somewhat because of activities for the kids. However, the last one we stayed at, didn't have all the traditional KOA stuff nor any ongoing activities for the kids. Last eyar when we were picking up our camper from storage at Lakewood in Myrtle Beach, we needed to stay a night. THe big 3 there in MB didn't allow one night rentals at that time. The MB KOA did and why we chose it then. We weren't there long enough to take advantage ofth activities they had and the price was more than the big 3 per night and not even on the beach. But it is what it is and it was convienant.

As the others stated, you will either pay for it or not. Do people not check ahead of time as to what the rates will be? This is why I make reservations ahead of time. I will know what the cost will be. I don't blindly make a reservation without looking at the price. And I don't just pull into a place. If I did, I would be complaining about the prices of some of these places...lol

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed at over 50 different KOAs over the last 15 years of camping and generally our stays have been enjoyable. Just to put into perspective, the provincial Parks here in Ontario Canada, charge over $40 a night for a site with barely 30 Amp power and no on site water and a dumping station to use on the way out???
So around here the KOA's prices seem reasonable. LOL
And the provincial parks have no more trees than our site at the Myrtle Beach KOA did during our last visit in July.
JM2CW

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh boy, yet another KOA like it / hate it thread in the making.

We use KOA and sometimes know we are paying for things we don't use. Can do that at any private RV park.

If there are choices, make the choice that suits you - may or may not be KOA.

I have the Rewards Kard and that not only cuts your price but you get credit toward future stays. You have to evaluate it to see if you will use it enough.

Biggest rip off I ever got was Zion River in Virgin, UT. High priced and pool and hot tub not working. Asked for and adjustment and they just kinda laughed; thought I was kidding. (They also charged my credit card more for the WiFi than was on the sales ticket and have yet to refund the money - but it has only been about 5 years; maybe I should give up :-))

I use rvpark reviews and this forum as major tools in making my decisions.

DW of 51 great years, Barbara
2nd Best Friend-"Aussie" Terrier, Sadie
2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
2006.5 Chev 3500 3LT XCab 4x4 Dmax Allie

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

JOMO

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I stayed at the Toledo Ohio KOA but it was located in Michigan it was the best money I ever spent. We had a great time and I didn't need to cook breakfast the whole time (free pancakes).

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Luke Porter wrote:

I had another near-miss at a KOA. I was headed to Amy's Campground Tifton, Ga. It's been a Good Sam park for years. When I got off at the exit I saw a KOA 1 mile sign. Didn't recall a KOA in the area. Get up to "Amy's"--it's a KOA now.

Luckily there is a left turn there that takes back to the intrstate at the next exit south.

On down the road for me. Seeya Amy's--or Tifton KOA, whatever.

Luke, as an overnight-er in the Tifton Area, put in at Agrirama $20 a night, full hookups on a nice paved 20 acre site. Stay clear in the summer, way too hot but a great spot during the rest of the year.

Dixonmatco

Santa Rosa, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience with KOAs over the years is that there is a great range of quality betweeen them. A few have been excellent and well worth the expense (like the KOA in the redwoods by Crescent City, CA) and some are not. The best of them are great for families with children because of their facilities. That said, I stay at State and National parks whenever possible or practical.

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS