|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> TT for GMC YUKON

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
grandpa & nana

Granbury, TX--Rociada, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired our 36' Excel and Silverado tow vehicle. Bot a 2010 GMC YUKON 1500 2WD, 3.42 rear axel ration, heavy duty trailering pkg, engine 5.3 Vortec V8, 6 spd auto, with 12000 miles. Book shows max trailer wt of 8400 and GCWR 14,000.
Looking for a smaller TT to tow to the National Parks.
Looking for suggestions as to what I should be looking for.

Thanks in advance

grandpa & nana

''The only requirement for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.'' Edmund Burke

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would probably be looking at one like this.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

Ray552

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried to get my wife to go with a 20 to 22 ft long trailer as I noticed that many campsites in the NPS are smaller. On the Reserve America web site you can view the campsites in a park they have detailed inforamtion on how big of a camper can get into each site. For the majority of the sites 22 feet or smaller seems to be it.

I could not convince her that if grand children came along they could tent camp next to us. We ended up with a 35 ft trailer that cannot utilize 97% of the campsites and is more exspensive to haul due to the higher weight. It is a nice unit do not get me wrong just wish it weighed a lot less and that the campsites were bigger.

I would try and avoid getting the largest unit your vehicle could handle under ideal conditions and instead go with a unit that will fit into the campsites you want to utilize.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

I would probably be looking at one like this.
Barney
How cool! It actually states that the sleeping capacity is "2".

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the length under 30 and the dry weight under 5700 lbs. Its floorplan first then find the floorplan in the correct weight.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

RVcrazy

Puyallup, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5.3 & 3.42... You will not be happy if you overload. You have a short wheel base that will be best with a short, light trailer. I suggest looking at the 20FQ Creekside with a booth and big window in the back and a walk around queen in front.

BUFFALODAN

Buffalo NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That 6 speed tranny is excellent. I have the same combo in my truck. There are several reviews of that 5.3/3.42/6 speed combo here. They will be fine with a trailer like the Northtrail one suggested or similar

2006 KZ Frontier 2505
2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
2014 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 4WD
1 DW
3DD's

grandpa & nana

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/11 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for reply. I failed to mention I am 6'2 and the Am looking for suggestions that will be comfortable to live in, me & DW, for extended period of time. My "bucket list" includes visiting all the National Parks in the West. Would prefer to be at the maxium end of weight and comforts. Queen bed a must.

mrw8i

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/11 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a short wheel base Tahoe, you'll want to keep the trailer short. Also as mentioned before, many NP campgrounds have limited number of campsites for longer TTs. The NP campgrounds is one of the main reasons we went from an already short trailer (25' total length, tongue to bumper) to a shorter (21' total length, tongue to bumper). Many of the western US NF campgrounds are also limited in size.

The short wheel base vehicle can also cause problems, especially in the winds; when the tail starts wagging the dog. Been there, done that. Got rid of the Yukon and got a 3/4 ton Suburban. The 5.3 could have issues in the mountains of the west.

All of this points to a shorter, lighter TT. Many of the newer floor plans have full queen beds, even in a shorter trailer. If you want a walk around queen, you are usually talking at least 23' in total length. There are some smaller trailers with a sideways full queen in the front, but one partner has to climb over the other (this is what we have, an Evolution T17FBS). The ultralight trailers typically come with a premium price tag.

Consider the Lance and the Eclipse Evolution line of TTs.

My wife preferred the slightly longer TT. There was much more walking space. More cabinet space to keep junk. But she deals with the smaller one, and I have done many things to make it more comfortable for her. The smaller space amplifies issues that you don't notice in a longer trailer; things like water pump noise, heater noise, lack of pantry space and closet space, fantastic fan seems louder because it is closer to our bed. So I just replaced the cheap fan in the bathroom with a fantastic fan so at night we can leave that one on and open a window next to the bed to draw cool air through the trailer without having the noise of a fan above our bed. I took half the closet and made a pantry. I added a tank accumulator and isolated the water pump so you hardly hear it now even though it is a couple of feet from the bed.

grandpa & nana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just returned from 500 mi round trip from Fort Worth, TX to Kerrville, TX and averaged 10.6 mpg pulling a 4500# 26 ft Nomad Joey. TV was 2010 GMC yukon. Speed was 55-60. Used sway bar hitch and did not even know the TT was back there. First time pulling behind my Yukon. Now I will look for a <5000# TT for my Yukon.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> TT for GMC YUKON
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS