|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Hyperthyroid Cat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My cat just had the I 131 treatment for hyperthyroid. He's in the 2 week isolation phase now. Just wondered if anyone else has done this. He seems fine...other than not amused at being isolated. We have some pretty stringent rules about handling him, disposing of waste etc. He can "come out" once the two weeks is over. We are only allowed 30 min TOTAL time with him per day. No cuddle, no lap time... a few pets, scoop the pan and flush it, new food and water and back out ASAP. Tough on all of us. However...we were told it's about a 97% cure rate.

Anyone else do this?

cts

skylos

Columbus, OH

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

who would have thought that *not* being petted would cure such a thing? How nonintuitive.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/11 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never heard of such a thing, but we're sending along our thoughts and prayers for the rapid recovery, and lasting health!

Keep us posted

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

ForestRiverTeach

Azusa, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you!

I went through this with my cat last spring and she's doing very well. Fortunately I caught it early enough and she was in good shape before the treatment.

As far as being in isolation once she got home, I didn't have to do that. I think it's different for every family, depending on who lives with the cat. It's just me, and I'm past child-bearing age. She spent 4 days at the vet "cooling off", but when she came home I just had to restrict my time with her and keep her away from kids. I have another cat & a dog & neither of them were banned from being with her. I did have to use special litter, though, and didn't like having to flush it down the toilet. I had visions of the stuff plugging the pipes & then getting arrested for having radioactive waste in my plumbing. No special restrictions about eating or drinking with the other 2 pets. She did sleep alone, though, as she usually cuddles with me at night.

But we all survived and she looks great. I'm glad I spent the money to do it, as the thought of pills and bloodtests forever certainly didn't appeal to me.

On the road and happy with Jed, my four-legged camping buddy.
'06 Eddie Bauer Expedition
'13 Starcraft 265RLB Autumn Ridge

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/11 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had many patients and my son's cat was treated many years ago at UofIL. At that time the isolation had to be in their facility - so Mama was gone for a total of 4 weeks.

Total recovery with no life long problems, no medications necessary. All in all an amazing treatment for a potentially life threatening disease.

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden) Charmin (at the bridge)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is an amazing treatment! I think the isolation and not being cuddled is the hard part. We are in Georgia now...and the state allows the animals to go home after 72 hours..BUT...the state is pretty strict about the 14 days of isolation and disposal of "contaminated" materials. We'll have to keep the remaining used kitty litter in a lined plastic container (5 gallon bucket type) for 90 days BEYOND the 2 wk isolation!

I even have an affidavit I have to carry in my vehicle showing that the truck may trip a geiger counter and it's due to this treatment and not to any illegal activities!

Apparently the cat is giving off gamma rays. Glad to hear it's helped other cats. We chose it because it offered a cure rather than treatment... and the cost to treat over a year or so would be the same. So... better radioactive for awhile than poking pills daily and getting bit.

cts

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/11 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covetsthesun wrote:

It is an amazing treatment! I think the isolation and not being cuddled is the hard part...

I've got some lead aprons and lead gloves that will protect you

There is enough need for this treatment that there is a private company (Radiocat) that has a treatment facility in most major cities.

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/11 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck to you - hope it works out really well, and that your cat is in the 97%! Our first cat had hyperthyroid disease and we treated with meds for about 8 months, then the meds stopped working. We lost him in the surgery to take out the thyroid. Terribly sad day. If we had had your option, things might have turned out very differently.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pheremones in the room might make it a little more tolerable for kitty. I often use them when going on vacation and cats will not have their normal amount of attention.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

ForestRiverTeach

Azusa, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/11 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live outside of Pasadena, CA. The only place between Santa Barbara and the Mexico border that does this treatment is in Irvine -- a good 50 miles and over an hour from me. It was worth the trek down there to know that I wouldn't be pushing pills down my cat's throat for the rest of her life.

One of the fun(?) aspects about where she was was that they had closed-circuit cameras in each of the cages, so I could see her during work hours. I was able to pull it up on my computer at school & even show my fifth graders. We got to see the technicians taking her out to get weighed & fed -- lots of fun for everyone ... except my kitty.

I guess every state has its own regulations about how to treat a radioactive animal. All I cared about was making her better. It wasn't cheap, but as CTS said, the cost is basically the same if you consider how long the cat might live on pills.

Hang in there! Those 2 weeks will pass quickly and you'll have a happy, relaxed kitty. Mine sure settled down after that tumor was gone.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Hyperthyroid Cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS