|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 99 gallon aux diesel tank for my truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am bringing this thread back to life for a few reasons.

The part in blue is not related to the original topic, you can skip everything in blue if you choose to

In early Feb 2012 I drove up to NY from SC in my Chevy Volt. Before the trip my lifetime average was about 1,400 miles per gallon. I got the car 11/15/2011 and was running mostly on battery. I got about 50 to 55 MPG average on the trip and my life time average dropped down to 65MPG.

I was in a hurry and didn't want to load and pack the camper and figured I would save a lot on fuel and I was itching to take the new car on a long trip.

I was shocked to discover the 55MPG may have cost more than the 12~14MPG diesel truck.

My back pain requires me to make more frequent stops, if I take a pain pill I have to stop within 1/2 hour of taking the pill because it is unsafe for me to drive. If I had the camper I could have stopped at a rest stop for a 2 to 4 hour nap and started driving again. If I spend $50 or more for a room I am not going to leave after a few hours. I didn't have trouble finding a nice low cost ($40 to $60 a night plus $5 to $15 for the dogs) motel till I got to NY and NJ. I called about a dozen places in NY and all refused dogs. By the time I got to the second from last motel on my list I was desperate and almost greed to pay $150 for the room plus $100 for each dog = $350 a night plus tax at the comfort inn. The last motel I called was La Quinta Inn at about $100 per night which wasn't cheap but better than $350.

When you look at the total cost the 12MPG truck was cheaper to drive than the 55MPG car plus it was a lot easier dealing with eating, feeding the dogs and not needing to load and unload the car everyday.

OK BACK TO THE TOPIC

While I was in NY with my Volt car I made it a point to look for places where I could buy diesel.

If I fill up in a truck stop in NJ I may not be able to find a place to fill my truck in NY and I may not be able to get back to NJ to get more fuel. When I started this thread I never considered that finding a place I can get in an out of is a good reason to have a larger tank. One option I have considered is un-hooking the truck, filling the truck then hooking up again.

I am not saying I can't fill up the truck with the camper attached on Long Island but the western part of L.I is pretty crowded and it would require me to go further east on Long Island where things are more spread out.

The fact that I will be taking a long trip near the end of the summer brings up the possibility that I may wind up in a situation where I can't fit into a gas station without un-hooking the trailer.

Having the extra fuel is a luxury, not a necessity but it would be nice to not worry about finding a station that has easy access.

My mother has a house on L.I and I have to go back to clear things out and make arrangements to sell it, and just parking the camper on her property while I get things in order is going to be a tight squeeze.

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting this came back to life now ,I recently purchased a class 8 truck to haul my 5th (and car and boat and and )but one of the intangables is the big fuel tankage.
While in discussion with my new service mechanic (new world to me) he mentioned in passing spare tanks,want one he said ?
Turns out these shops have 100 gallons tanks by the container load,in fact he has 2 40' containers worth of used 100 gal al tanks .They are a awkward configuration (round ) but they sell for $1 a gallon.
so $100 bucks for 100 gallons.
hope this helps

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
maxbrake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hone eagle wrote:

Interesting this came back to life now ,I recently purchased a class 8 truck to haul my 5th (and car and boat and and )but one of the intangables is the big fuel tankage.
While in discussion with my new service mechanic (new world to me) he mentioned in passing spare tanks,want one he said ?
Turns out these shops have 100 gallons tanks by the container load,in fact he has 2 40' containers worth of used 100 gal al tanks .They are a awkward configuration (round ) but they sell for $1 a gallon.
hope this helps

Do you have any information as to who to contact to buy one?

I like THIS ONE

THIS is also nice and it has room for tools storage

But something likeTHIS is cheaper and less fancy but will get the job done

* This post was edited 03/03/12 11:40am by silvercorvette *

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silvercorvette wrote:

In early Feb 2012 I drove up to NY from SC in my Chevy Volt. Before the trip my lifetime average was about 1,400 miles per gallon. I got the car 11/15/2011 and was running mostly on battery. I got about 50 to 55 MPG average on the trip and my life time average dropped down to 65MPG.

I was in a hurry and didn't want to load and pack the camper and figured I would save a lot on fuel and I was itching to take the new car on a long trip.

I was shocked to discover the 55MPG may have cost more than the 12~14MPG diesel truck.

My back pain requires me to make more frequent stops, if I take a pain pill I have to stop within 1/2 hour of taking the pill because it is unsafe for me to drive. If I had the camper I could have stopped at a rest stop for a 2 to 4 hour nap and started driving again. If I spend $50 or more for a room I am not going to leave after a few hours. I didn't have trouble finding a nice low cost ($40 to $60 a night plus $5 to $15 for the dogs) motel till I got to NY and NJ. I called about a dozen places in NY and all refused dogs. By the time I got to the second from last motel on my list I was desperate and almost greed to pay $150 for the room plus $100 for each dog = $350 a night plus tax at the comfort inn. The last motel I called was La Quinta Inn at about $100 per night which wasn't cheap but better than $350.

When you look at the total cost the 12MPG truck was cheaper to drive than the 55MPG car plus it was a lot easier dealing with eating, feeding the dogs and not needing to load and unload the car everyday.

There is an additional reason why an RV is better:

Bedbugs.

I have virtually stopped staying at convenient roadside motels except the higher end ones because of that.

Have never actually "caught" the infestation, but know people who have and saw the remediation bill.... and wow.

Remediation in an RV is a huge problem, remediation if it got inside your home is ... ugh.

So after considering lots of things, I now have diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the driver / passenger side carpets, near the exists, and along the side of the RV walls as a precaution.

The stuff is harmless to us, non-reactive, and kills a lot of insects dead on contact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

It is also good for fleas (dogs) and if you are in the deep south, roaches when mixed with boric acid.

I feel for you and your health issues --- having had similar but not so bad ones --- and wish you well, friend.

In your case, the need might be met with a good Class B when you are ready for another vehicle.

Start a new thread about traveling with your medical needs in the right forum, and lets chat.

* This post was edited 03/03/12 12:18pm by NewsW *

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silvercorvette wrote:

hone eagle wrote:

hope this helps

Do you have any information as to who to contact to buy one?

I like THIS ONE

THIS is also nice and it has room for tools storage

But something likeTHIS is cheaper and less fancy but will get the job done

Look at independent truck repair shop .
long time originalowner ,guy who can fix anything including body/frame damage .
If they dabble in salvage they will be a gold mine.
be advised that semi tanks are a round tank and a huge waste of space in a truck bed.

bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

silvercorvette wrote:

There is an additional reason why an RV is better:

Bedbugs.

I have virtually stopped staying at convenient roadside motels except the higher end ones because of that.

Have never actually "caught" the infestation, but know people who have and saw the remediation bill.... and wow.

Remediation in an RV is a huge problem, remediation if it got inside your home is ... ugh.

So after considering lots of things, I now have diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the driver / passenger side carpets, near the exists, and along the side of the RV walls as a precaution.

The stuff is harmless to us, non-reactive, and kills a lot of insects dead on contact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

It is also good for fleas (dogs) and if you are in the deep south, roaches when mixed with boric acid.

I feel for you and your health issues --- having had similar but not so bad ones --- and wish you well, friend.

In your case, the need might be met with a good Class B when you are ready for another vehicle.

Start a new thread about traveling with your medical needs in the right forum, and lets chat.

I was thinking this! Some B's are very nicely equipped and obviously can be used a daily drivers...

BManning
baking in Phoenix
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remembered someone on this forum used a fuel bladder ,race car style and just plced it in a tool box in his bed .

source

summit racing but there are plenty of others

johntank

North MS

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silvercorvette
Just read all the posts again after my orignal reply and still think the replacment tank would be the best as long as you have the TC.

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johntank wrote:

silvercorvette
Just read all the posts again after my orignal reply and still think the replacment tank would be the best as long as you have the TC.

I expected to have traded my T/C for a 5th wheel by today but back problems delayed my departure.

I keep my T/C in the garage and in the process of getting it out of the garage I twisted my back and it is now sitting in the driveway waiting to be loaded on to my truck. My HOA does not allow campers parked on the property and the new 5th wheel won't fit in the garage so I will be renting a place for $40 a month to store it.

I was planning on trying to keep both because there are times smaller is better, an since I had a few unexpected expenses the T/C has to go because I plan on a long trip at the end of the summer and I want something bigger if I am going to be on the road for 3 to 5 weeks

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

be advised that semi tanks are a round tank and a huge waste of space in a truck bed.

Not all...I have seen tanks with rectangular (Freightliner, Hino) and oval (Ford) cross-sections.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 99 gallon aux diesel tank for my truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts