|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Toy Hauler Cover

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
bukuinc

Chula Vista

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/11 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking to help prevent some years of sun abuse on my hauler. I figured I might as well get a cover for it as I'm sure it can only help. I was wondering who makes a good quality cover. I have an '09 Weekend warrior fs2500. I dont want to buy a cover only to have it falling apart from the weather in a year. I'm in san diego, so it will mostly be battered with sun, however there is the freak storm every once in a while with heavy winds and rain. Any advice would be great! Thanks

2btowed

glendale,az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/11 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive come to the conclusion that about 2 years is all Ill ever get on a cover in AZ no matter what I pay,,so I consider it a consumable item. At 400 bucks over 2 years thats 55cents a day. Give up a beer a day and that pays for the cover.SOOO Iget a new one. Much cheaper than storage,and Ican always borrow a beer from my neighbor....

08 Ranger
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
04 Kymco 110

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/11 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our new-to-us 2008 Fuzion 302 toyhauler this past January. It is a rig that I want to last a long time. So I just ordered a custom fit cover from Adco via Camping World. It has a 4 year warrantee and ran about $900 delivered.
Why custom? In Nevada we have a fair bit of wind. A friend suggested I DON"T get a cover because the flapping of the material will damage the exterior. I did some investigation and reading. A custom fit, with good cinch down straps will minimize the wind damage. So, I decided a cover and potential wind damage was the lesser of two risks.
It should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,

Larie Trippet
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2008 Fuzion 302
2009 BMW F800 GS
2007 BMW R1200RT

USMA Dad

Stuart, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/11 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2btowed wrote:

Ive come to the conclusion that about 2 years is all Ill ever get on a cover in AZ no matter what I pay,,so I consider it a consumable item. At 400 bucks over 2 years thats 55cents a day. Give up a beer a day and that pays for the cover.SOOO Iget a new one. Much cheaper than storage,and Ican always borrow a beer from my neighbor....

WHOAHHH!!! You're talking crazy here! Nothing is worth giving up a beer even if you do hi-jack one from the neighbor. I say scrap the cover all together, take the $400 and buy a couple of kegs, invite some friends over every six months and assign them a 10 foot section of your TH. Hand them a can of wax and some towels and serve them beer while you supervise the waxing of your TH. Now that will protect it from the sun AND you get your beer! It works in FL so it will definitely work in AZ!!!

Don Z.
'04 Dodge CTD 2500 SRW
'12 Jayco Recon ZX 39A
oh yeah, and the wife, kids, and dogs!

Diesel is cheaper than beer. Who's gonna stop drinking???

Member of the Masonic group RVTravelingMen

Flattman

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/11 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2btowed wrote:

You're right on - it's a consumable item in Arizona. I cover mine and replace it as needed. My hauler looks as good as the day I bought it, but the uncovered ones in the lot around mine look like junk.

Besides, like Archy Bunker used to say, "you don't buy beer - you rent it".

Dodge Ram 6.7L 4X4 Quadcab W/Reese Slider
K-Z Inferno 3905 w/TrailAir
Carson 20' Enclosed Trailer
Sandwinder LTX Pro LS2 Sandrail
Yamaha Raptors
Honda TRX 450R

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have/had an Adco cover from CW too. 2nd winter here in Colo. it started to come apart. Cut out a damaged area and sent it in. Got a note back with the new replacement cover that it really wasn't defective, that it was wind damage.

They did try to upsell me to one made from 'Sumbrella' for a bunch of $s. Sunbrella is the stuff that the old Coleman Tent Trailers were made of. Don't know how much better it stands up to wind though.

Think I may look into a roll of awning cloth and make my own. PITA, to handle that much material, but the awning cloth should hold up better. Don't know if I can get a decent price on it though, either. It may also be more abrasive than our finishes can stand. Would hate to even think of trying to line one. Oh boy, that would truly be, PITA. I do think less damage occurs if it can move a bit. When I tightened mine down the 2nd year it really took a hit, but that might have been because it was weakened from previous winter.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

zke99

san bernardino ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goto rvcoversdirect.com and look at the carver covers. I had a adco tyvek cover for three years. first year had to repair wind damage 4 foot rip from awning. second year had to repair rips from the gray part of cover ripping on the driver side where it gets all the sun starting to rot (2- 1 foot rips). by the third year it i could barely get on and off with out cover ripping some where basiclly sides were turning into powder. hauler always dirty from cover rotting. last year bought a carver cover from the discount page and love it alot stronger material haulers cleaner and no signs of even ripping also came with straps that go all the way around the cover to keep from billowing in the wind. I keep the cover on from about april till oct. It is off for the winter do to the lovely santana anna winds.

2007 Chevy 2500 D/A
2008 weekend warrior fs25

RazorKQ

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/11 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out CalMark covers at
www.calmarkcustomrvcovers.com
Also PM me.

2005 Suzuki King Quad Yellow
2005 Suzuki King Quad Red
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R