RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Workamping Forum: Information Discussion for Gate Guards

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Information Discussion for Gate Guards

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 123  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Blondie Girl

Currently-

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poth is on 181 between Karnes City and Floresville...a little closer to Floresville I think.

The Meat Market in Poth has excellent fresh meat. I buy meat there often. They also have BBQ brisket, ribs, etc on the weekend. They will special cut anything and you can also call ahead and order.

Floresville has a new Super WalMart and a very nice HEB. There are also a lot of other shops in Floresville, probably more than Pleasanton.

maxx233

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I heard talk of cellphone boosters, I thought I'd chime in!

We just moved to a new gate on Tuesday, only to discover that we had NO cell service what-so-ever.. Now, I can put up with pretty bad service as we've had so far, but I can't live completely without my internets (yes, I'm *that* generation lol.. we're the young-ins of the gate guarding community I think) So I wandered around in a hopeless daze for a while until I found 1 bar of service, which after several attempts allowed me to next day a Wilson DB Pro Kit off amazon. Although it was expensive we went with the wilson because I figured if it didn't work I could return it hassle free to amazon, and I'd heard marginal things about the zBoosts - and I only had one shot at this (could hardly order as it is, and it's 2 hours round trip to get into town to pick it up.) I picked up two 10ft 2" PVC conduit sections from Lowes while I was in town picking up the package, and that's how I've mounted the outdoor antenna (the system requires 15ft of vertical separation between antennas, or required us stringing coax halfway across the job site to get the horizontal separation that would be required.) Anywho, long story short, this thing is nothing short of magical. We went from no fat chance of signal inside the RV, and 1 bar wandering around outside - to full signal inside. We went with the directional antenna btw, but so far we've bee able to point it almost anywhere and still get full signal (I think we're right smack dab in the middle of a dead zone!)

Glad I went with this one myself, I can honestly say it was worth it (and I think we can write it off too!) I've kept our installation easily portable too believe it or not - I have my makeshift antenna mast tied onto the awning support while it's in the closed position. The vertical pipe bears the full load (which isn't much), and the awning support just gives it something solid to brace up against. All I have to do is untie a few knots, pull it down, pull the conduit pieces apart and shove them in the RV and we're off. We've had some crazy wind up here and it's survived fine, so I've stopped worrying about it already Anywho, if anyone's considered one of these things, I highly recommend it - it's one of those things you buy and wonder why you went so long without (*cough* pretty sure my family back home may be getting one of these for christmas lol)

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also got the Z-Boost off Amazon, for under $200. I used the smaller model last year in a dead zone, NW of Runge and it worked good, so that is why I went with their larger model this year when we bought our own. I have a 22' expandable flag pole that I use as the antenna pole if necessary, but I normally use the top of the ladder to mount the non-directional antenna. Yes, it is a deductible expense, as you need cell service for emergencies.

GGS bought 100 for their people to have when they need them, but some got legs and walked, and others won't let them go even if they're in a good zone today, for fear of not having one at the next gate if needed. Jay refuses to buy any more, "UNLESS" the company man calls and tells them there will be one on site by days end or they will break the contract and go with another company.....Works wonders and we have seen it work 3X so far.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

maxx233

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where did you get your 22' flag pole? I was thinking of that as I wondered through lowes looking for a solution to mount the antenna, but they didn't have them there :/ I'm only $10 vested in my conduit solution, I wouldn't mind going with a real flag pole still if it's sturdy enough.. Would be slightly *more* easily portable than what I've got now I figure lol

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maxx233 wrote:

Where did you get your 22' flag pole? I was thinking of that as I wondered through lowes looking for a solution to mount the antenna, but they didn't have them there :/ I'm only $10 vested in my conduit solution, I wouldn't mind going with a real flag pole still if it's sturdy enough.. Would be slightly *more* easily portable than what I've got now I figure lol
RV flag pole guys

GGup

SE, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone know of a company that is hiring good backhoe operators? I have a friend that would like to work for a year or so and has had his own construction company before. He is a good operator.

Just looking for companies that might be looking. I see a lot of CDL people needed on banners.

Either post here so others know also or PM me. Thanks

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have him check with the pipeline companies, like First Call or Bennett construction. They hire trackhoe operators and are about a year behind in their business. Those two are working in the Pawnee area right now.

maxx233

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a question for you guys that have been doing this for several years... Taxes - how are they dealt with as a gate guarding couple, presumably working as an independent contractor under 1099 conditions?
--Does only one of you (the one the check is made out to) file the 1099?
--As I understand it there are quarterly estimated tax payments due the IRS - for those of us who've only ever used turbotax or a CPA once a year, how are those payments made and 'estimated'?
--Have you been caught off guard by self employment tax or anything else? Any advice for things to look out for or what to expect for actual liability at the end of the year?

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have any withheld from other income, and you're within the 80% allowance then usually no, but if you do not have anything withheld and owe some, then your CPA should set up your quarterly tax payment, when he does your taxes. However if you utilize all the options available, you should owe no taxes for a minimum of 5 years and if you were smart, then it should be 10 years or longer.

Yes, all income is attributable to the one whose name is on the 1099, plus the address where that 1099 was sent, if not a mail forwarding service, is the state of record for filing taxes.

We have a tax advisor in Nevada that has done ours for a few years and these are items he covered with us. There are other things that need to be addressed, like how you are treated if you are a full timer or have a valid S & B, per diem instead of deductions, etc.

mdbass

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maxx233 wrote:

Here's a question for you guys that have been doing this for several years... Taxes - how are they dealt with as a gate guarding couple, presumably working as an independent contractor under 1099 conditions?
--Does only one of you (the one the check is made out to) file the 1099?
--As I understand it there are quarterly estimated tax payments due the IRS - for those of us who've only ever used turbotax or a CPA once a year, how are those payments made and 'estimated'?
--Have you been caught off guard by self employment tax or anything else? Any advice for things to look out for or what to expect for actual liability at the end of the year?

Andy's forum has an excellent tax thread going about this www,myoldrvforum.com. Any number of web sites will instruct you on how to pay taxes quarterly. You can even do it electronically. It's up to you to decide how much to prepay. My fiance calculates it by making up a faux return and "guesstimates" what we'll need to prepay to avoid owing Uncle Sam. It's easier than it looks. As I recommended, start at myoldrvforum and always get answers from a pro.

Mark Bass

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 123  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Information Discussion for Gate Guards
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS