RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Upholstery is wearing out... How to replace?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Upholstery is wearing out... How to replace?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
John S

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The seats in our breakfast nook of our Class C are getting pretty bad from all the sliding in and out over the past 10 years.

We are ready to replace the upholstery but need to find the right/best fabric for recovering them... My DW and I do not know what type of fabric we should get to replace them.. Figure that an upholsterer can do the job but do not want to get some fabric that will not wear well or cleanup after the grandkids, etc...

Is there a good place to look for or buy replacement covering material for RV's? Should we avoid cotton fabrics in favor of polyester and rayon? Or are there better fabrics to get?

Hope some of you folks with some experience in this area can give us some good tips. We figure we will have a local upholstery shop do the work as we are not good at doing something like this but finding the right fabric is important.

The seat cushions also lie flat when we convert the nook to a bed.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions..

John S.

John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

fisher60

Plant City, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to do the same thing so I'll be watching this thread. I'm leaning towards the "Microfiber" material and up-grading the foam also.

'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any fabric store has upholstery fabric. Pick what you like. One word of caution,this stuff is very heavy and a standard sewing machine will probably not work.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id start getting recomends for a good upolsterer in your AO and you might look into some one who does "marine" uppolstry, ifn they good they will be happy to discuss fabrics with you and put on whatever you want. It does pay to be familiar with fabrcs so you know your not geting BSed. I know some in my area dont even want to mess with RV's

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a fabric outlet not to far from us that has a big selection and they do upholstery. You might have something like that near you.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

charlysmom&dad

illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/11 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used slipcovershop.com to make our elasticized covers for the dining bench seats. They also make zippered covers. They have a form we filled out with the dimensions. They make the covers and ship them out.
They also sent us 3 fabric samples of our choosing before we decided on the fabric. We would use them again if needed.

2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H

Doody

Sioux Falls SD and elsewhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to try contacting the company that originally made your cushions - not the company that made the RV. We still had a tag on one of ours and I called the company. They made brand new cushions in my choice of fabric including new foam that were an exact replacement with the naugahyde backs on them. They cost a lot less than having the old ones recovered by an upholstery shop - less than $400 for the whole set. On mine, the company was Newhouse RV Upholstery. They couldn't find their original patterns for mine, so I took the covers off and sent them to them. The new cushions are perfect.

Stop by and say Howdy

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tijuana?

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a micro-fiber covered living room set, that was supposedly the greatest thing since the invention of nylon. I hated that thing. It was supposed to be stain resistant, plus treated with an additional stain repellent (at extra cost) with warranty. After having a grandkid stain it, and getting the "cleaner" out to "fix" it, and having to argue about whether or not the warranty covered it, plus the fact that the fabric attracted pet hair like duct tape, PLUS the fact that the thing was just too big and heavy to move when DW wanted to re-arrange, we traded it to a used furniture store for lighter stuff with normal fabrics.

I would look in the Yellow Pages for Upholstery, and talk to some local businesses about the job. They should have samples of the fabrics they normally work with.

But, IMO, stay away from the micro-fiber stuff!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/11 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the upholstery and go out and buy a nice NEW motorhome, preferably a 40 ft diesel pusher with all the bells & whistles. Gotta do your share for the economy you know.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Upholstery is wearing out... How to replace?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS