|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Taking hitch out of truck bed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tnance

Nixon/Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sure enjoy reading all the responses on this topic. I grin every time I remove my 32K Trailersaver hitch. I remove the hitch frequently. It takes me less than 5 minutes. No need for any help, no need for any winch or lift. I simply remove one bolt and carry the hitch by hand. And to think, I retired 8 years ago.

fidhleir

Orange County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Reese 16K in my F250 and a 2010 Cougar 278RKS. I asked Reese about hanging the hitch from the kingpin and they said, "No problem." I then asked Keystone. Their response was, "Should work, but....We never tested it and can't say that it wouldn't hurt something. It could void your warrantee." He said that, while the kingpin is built to handle a 10K trailer, the stresses are in a different direction. So proceed at your own risk.

I take the trailer out every 2 or 3 weeks and have yet to need the truck bed for anything else so I don't even know how hard it will be to just lift it out.

randrx2

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife needed the truck and I was not home so she pulled out the hitch herself. When I got home I saw it was still in one piece. I asked "didn't you take it apart?". She said, "huh?". I showed her how it came apart in 2 pieces and she felt sheepish!

When someone says, "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is, "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much does the typical 5th wheel hitch weigh? We're trying to decide whether to move up to 5th wheel or stay with a travel trailer for our next purchase, and one of the data points against getting a 5'er is the fact that the truck bed will be useless with the hitch in there 24/7. It sounds like, albeit with a little effort, you can get them in/out if need be. Our tow vehicle will be used as a daily driver, so having the bed space available is a big advantage.

2008 Jayfeather 29A
2007 Ford F-150 5.4L V8

0rion

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do you have a long or short bed? With a short bed you're looking at a slider most likely.....my reese 16k is ~150lbs. That can be split into 2 pieces....a 50lb and 100lb section.....rough guess. Some hitches are way more than that though and non-slider hitches are way less. It's really not much hassle to take mine out.....before my back was giving me problems I would yank it out at the drop of a hat. After the back thing I got a little more creative to save my back. Leaving it hang on the pin would be by far the less hassle of them all I believe. I'm going to be trying that soon.

RDSKNFN_57

MADERA CA 93638

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to take it out by hand and the the light switch went on like someone else already posted , just pull the pins raise the 5er and out comes the hitch. When time to put back in, back under the hitch as close as possible disconnect hitch and line up by hand, every once in a while i lign up perfect, just depends on much of a hurry i'm in. Good Luck

Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tnance you are one strong man..... Carrying a TSLB2H 32,000 lb capacity Trailer Save hitch around ???? I had one of those and there were more than one bolt holding the hitch in???? Maybe I miss read something.... Happy Trails...

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

tnance

Nixon/Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/11 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delaine and Lindy, yes you are missing something. I don’t have a pickup.

The photo below shows the fifth wheel hitch in place. Trailersaver 32K Low Pro with Binkley head.

This photo shows the hitch removed. The base plate with the pillow blocks remain bolted to the truck.

Here is the hitch with the bolt and the truck bed cover plates in place.

As I stated, I can convert my truck from towing to a flat bed in under five minutes with no help. I only have to remove one bolt. I can even stow the fifth wheel hitch upside down on the gooseball. I then put the truck bed cover plates in place and I have a flat bed.

2005 Freightliner M2 106 class 7 HDT
2004 Teton Sunrise Grand
Jeep Wrangler toad

...PICTURES...

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delaine and Lindy wrote:

tnance you are one strong man..... Carrying a TSLB2H 32,000 lb capacity Trailer Save hitch around ???? I had one of those and there were more than one bolt holding the hitch in???? Maybe I miss read something.... Happy Trails...

Tnance? Ppffft. It's randrx2's DW you've got to worry about! :-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, thanks everyone. I didn't intend to hijack the thread. I just wanted to know if it was legitimately possible to remove the hitch every now and again, and it sounds like it is.

* This post was edited 11/02/11 10:18am by bobbyg123 *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Taking hitch out of truck bed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS