RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Black water tank ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Black water tank ???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ilvtravln

Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/11 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CREATO wrote:

STart with about 3 gallons of water in the black tank that way stuff wont be so apted to stick to the bottomo of tank

I start with an empty tank, maybe thats my problem. Thanks

Art

ilvtravln

Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/11 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

houtrz wrote:

More water. I will fill mine to the top then dump, then I'll fill it up about half way and dump again. No problems.

On your valves, are they cable operated or do you have actual control of the valve. Mine are cable operated and there seems to be some play in mine that wasn't there before.

The valves are cable operated, but do not feel that they have play in them, thanks for your input.

rockintom

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/11 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ilvtravln wrote:

CREATO wrote:

STart with about 3 gallons of water in the black tank that way stuff wont be so apted to stick to the bottomo of tank

I start with an empty tank, maybe thats my problem. Thanks

You should always start with some water in your black tank after every dump. After my black is done (and I refill and flush twice) I usually add about 20 seconds of water in thru the flush (you can do it by running the toilet too). This puts a little layer of water on the floor to help disperse poo and TP. The helps with the stockpiling issue. rockin'

Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/11 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could it be that the slack in the cable isn't opening the valve all the way. That could be why it is slow to drain. Just asking.

* This post was edited 10/30/11 01:34pm by powderman426 *

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/11 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Draining a black tank based on TIME is totally wrong UNLESS that also means you're draining when the tank is nearly full. If you're clogging the most common reason for it is either dumping too frequently or not using enough water when using the facilities. Since solids sit in the tank, on the floor of the tank, they require a large amount of water to be flushed away and if you dump too soon (when tanks are not nearly full) there is insufficient liquid to flush away the solids. Same is true if you skimp on water when flushing the toilet, trying to make the tank last longer and it's true for the same reason.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/11 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Topping off a black tank when the crud is a dried out mess on the bottom will do little good. Consider what the bottom of the tank looks like, grey or black doesn't matter. Whatever is put in the tank will dry and adhere to the sides, bottom and yes, your tank sensors. Once dried, it will take a lot to soften it up enough to drain correctly. Consider also, you're using only cold water in your black tank. When you drive, the sloshing effect will break some of the crud loose but usually not all. Now if you're in hot weather the problem is compounded, literally and figuratively. Next time you take the rig out, pour about 5 gallons of HOT water in the black tank and drive to your destination, then empty. You'll be surprised at what comes out........finally, always start out with about 3 gallons of water in your black tank. I keep the grey valve closed and back flush the black tank with the soapy water from the grey tank when emptying. Another "trick" is to empty your ice cubes into the black tank for the trip home or to another destination. The ice will scrub the inside of the tank as you travel and will also clean off the sensors......Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/11 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ilvtravln wrote:

......When I drain/flush the black tank now only part of the stuff comes out. I then drive home and after everything bounces around awhile I flush/drain at home then the balance comes out no problem.......

You answered your own question.

part of the 'stuff' comes out........drive home/everything bounces around......balance comes out.

More WATER

Hot Rod Guy

Princeton B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/11 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We dry camp almost exclusively, before using the black tank, a five gallon pail of water goes down the toilet, never in twenty plus years have we had a problem dumping. You need water to keep it loose.

Ric Flair

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need more fiber in your diet.

2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

routemaster

Deming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/11 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ilvtravln wrote:

We have an 09 Bighorn. We usually camp one week at a time. I drain the grey water daily, never have a problem. I drain and flush the black tank at the end of the week and have never had a problem until now. When I drain/flush the black tank now only part of the stuff comes out. I then drive home and after everything bounces around awhile I flush/drain at home then the balance comes out no problem. Do I need to flush more often while camping or is the black valve not opening all the way ? But if the valve is not opening completely then how come I can drain at home no problem ? Thanks for any input.

When I blew my black tank and took it out.. there was the black slug in the bottom of the tank, they drilled the hole for the intake from the toilet and left it in there.
I was having somthing like your problem the RV tech said that the slug use to float to the gate and shut it of so no dump. Back fill with a hose and away she go.

2005 GMC 2500Dmax C/C S/B with 06 air box.
Reese 16k Slider hitch.
2006 Everest 344J.3500lbs springs, Monroe shocks, LED taillights Travelsoft water softener.
YAMAHA EF3000iSEB
Fulltimers
Verizon Air Card.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Black water tank ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts