|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Honda Odyssey and Jayco pup

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
mach8274

Indian Trail, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/11 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a quick question. Friends of ours are looking to buy a new to them pup. It's a Jayco Jay Series 1207, 12' box with a GVWR of 2950#. They have a 2007 Honda Odyssey. We plan on adding the factory hitch kit and wiring and a large trans cooler. The van has a tow rating of 3500#. Does anybody else use an Odyssey for towing a small trailer? He understands that he won't be winning any races with the combo. They have to wait until next summer before they can purchase a more suitable tow vehicle.

Dave and Amy
Anthony-2005
Norah-2008
Sasha the weiner dog
2008 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29FBS "No Worries"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, CC, SB, FX4 Off Road, 6.7L Power Stroke "The Mistress"
2002 F-150 7700, XLT, SC, SB, 4x4, 5.4L Triton-Gone, but not forgotten!

lfloom

Pasadena

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a Sienna to pull a popup, but it was a *much* lighter popup - empty it was 1750. But, you need to add passengers, gear, fuel in the tanks, etc. I bet I got pretty close to the 3500.

Your friend is starting at nearly 3000 lbs. That leaves 500 for everything else, and it just wont make it.

retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you're 'pushing it', you're going to get a variety of responses.
You will definitely need a wdh for safety. I think you have a fwd tv which makes this even more imperative.

Pup: 2007 Jayco 1206 w/slide-out + shower
surge brakes, 54w solar panel
TV: 2005 Nissan Xterra 4X4, manual trans
25 years tent camping, 4000+ miles of hiking, lots of biking

danfoote

sussex, new brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/11 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

far to much to be pulling with a Honda Van - transmissions are costly

mach8274

Indian Trail, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/11 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lfloom wrote:

I used a Sienna to pull a popup, but it was a *much* lighter popup - empty it was 1750. But, you need to add passengers, gear, fuel in the tanks, etc. I bet I got pretty close to the 3500.

Your friend is starting at nearly 3000 lbs. That leaves 500 for everything else, and it just wont make it.

No, he is starting at 1895#. That is how much the trailer weighs empty. I stated the GVWR of the trailer because that is how much it can weigh total with all gear, water, LP gas etc. 2950# So, he is still 550# below the actual tow rating of the van. I know it's pushing the envelope so to speak, he knows this also. FWD vehicles are not the best tow vehicles by any stretch of the imagination but it can be done with the proper equipment. WDH, trans cooler, brake controller etc.

* This post was edited 10/31/11 09:20am by mach8274 *

DammitJim

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know where you got your screenname, but it's funny that those are my initials (mach). I will second retiredtraveler on the WDH. I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey that I used for towing a 2002 Jayco Eagle 10SG. I then bought a 2001 R-Vision Trail Lite B19 and installed the WDH which I feel is a must even according to the Odyssey manual. Make sure your friend installs the ATF cooler, PS cooler and that the 1207 has brakes.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaves 550 lb. for passengers, cargo and everything else. As long as you can stay below that it should be OK. I believe Honda does as good a job as anyone else of knowing what their vehicles can do.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

lfloom

Pasadena

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, but remember the contents of the TV (including passengers) also count in that 3500. People tend to way underestimate these things.

And the weight of the trailer will probably not include and options. I dont know about his trailer, but when we bought our pups, *everything* was an extra (heater, HW, awning, etc)

Our first trailer had a weight of 1750, and was a little lighter than your friends. We added very little to it. But we had two kids (who just insisted on growing and growing...) and a fair amount of gear.

We *really* noticed it using our Sienna. Then we upgraded to a 4runner, and it was like it was not there. OTOH, after a few years of towing, we allowed the sienna to return to being just an around town car, and it now has over 185K miles, with the original transmission.

Though, it did not affect our mileage on either vehicle - we figured that when we use our cars as non TVs, we are doing a lot of around town driving, and when we are towing it is on the freeways. Sometimes the mileage even went up :-)

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow with a Sienna and are pretty close to max weight with no issues. Properly equipted and within their specs, minivans make excellent tow vehicles. The modern vans are much more powerful than the 80's minivans. I would guess your friend's van is sporting about 250 HP and probably pretty close to that in torque.

The biggest issue I have seen with some (I'm not familiar with the newer Honda vans) is the rear suspension is softer because it is intended to be a comfortable people mover. This is where the WDH and/or airbags come into play depending on the weights and set-up.

He can load up the van like he would be for camping and go weigh. That will tell him how much capacity he will have left and he can make his decision from there. Again, not familiar with the Odyssey, but most vans have a pretty substantial carrying capacity.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/11 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll agree with the WD hitch, and coolers. I would also say a rewuirement is a full size spare. Those donut spares can not take the extra strain induced in towing.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Honda Odyssey and Jayco pup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS