|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 1970(?) HR Vacationer Project

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
MrSurly

East Tx

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, thanks for the opportunity to share some info here!
I'm a newbie to this but determined to make a go of it.
I recently set about the search for a camper to put on a deer lease; it didn't need amenities, just a place to sleep. There would be 120AC available so an AC space heater is all I needed for the overnights at the deer camp. I expected to find a very small "canned ham" camper; but what I ended up with is an old Holiday Rambler Vacationer!
It would do the job...and all those amenities (that probably don't work anyway) would be ignored.
And then, my daughter set me straight on HER plan.

'This is a really cool trailer, Dad'(!) And it's gonna be SOO000 cool when we're finished, an' we'll be able to take the boys to the lake, and,and...
So, now I'm embarking on a project; I'm going to get the old girl going again and do some minor* updating as well, as the budget allows. I MIGHT get to go hunting, but I may still need to get a camper for that!
I've read some threads here from others who have similar HRs and similar projects. Hopefully I can add some info myself, but mostly I'll be learning from all of you.
I have a great pile of questions, of course.
  1. I have located date codes on the hitch and various appliances that indicate that it was built about Oct 1970 and I'll assume that it is a 1971 model
  2. Where can I find a VIN on the unit?
  3. The color band is a champagne color and I have seen others.
  4. Is there significance to the color band?
  5. Are there drawings available showing the wiring or plumbing layouts?
  6. Is a replacement for the original holding tank available?
  7. is there a replacement charging board made for the power converter?
  8. Is there a reason to switch the pressure water system over to demand (assuming it's working)
  9. I will need to add a g/w tank, any advice on pipe and valve setup?
  10. Is there a simple brake drum swap to switch to 'normal' 5 or 6 lug wheels?
  11. Be specific?
I would like to know more about the unit such as specifications.
I'll stop with the questions for now, here is a quick pic:

(*)yea, right

* This post was last edited 08/20/12 07:50pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you look at the Tim Can Tourists website? They may have some useful information.
Congratulations on your (daughters ) project.

MrSurly

East Tx

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some further info and observation:
I pulled it home with the DMax and it towed perfectly. I have an old-school set of WD bars and head but didn't bother with them as it sat level as did the TV. Due to broken wiring, the brakes were not hooked up, but it was not an issue for the 40 mile ride. I had to use "tow truck lights" with magnetic bases. With the wheels up, all the bearings sound and feel great. I'll be packing them and servicing the brakes anyway.
The refrigerator works on AC power. LP side not tested yet as I can't tell if the piezoelectric ignitor is working. I did the manometer test on the LP piping. The Oven and range works. The vent-a-hood works. I've pulled and de-bugged the NS17 furnace. I replaced the 'recalled' rubber crossover tube with steel and as soon as I get it back in the TT I will report on it. The gas valve on the WH is shot. I don't know if I can replace the valve alone; if not I'll have to replace the water heater. The TT has no gray water tank so I'll have to add one. The gray water does not flow into the BW tank, it connects to the drain piping AFTER the dump valve. If the capo is off, the gray water dumps(!)The BW tank is busted open from some previous road hazard.
If I could find the same tank that would be great but I expect it's a bit too oddball. The copper piping is freeze-broken in four places and the toilet valve is burst as well. (Are we havin' fun yet?) The power converter works to provide 12Volt power from AC, but the charging control board is quick-fried to a crackly-crunch.
There is (old) water damage from a roof edge leak at the center of the left side. The paneling there will need replacement. The structure (so far) seems solid. There is recent water damage to the particle board (I so hate the stuff) of the bathroom cabinets due to the freeze-breaks. Because I have so much repair to do in the bathroom, and since I can't get my wide arse into the teensy shower, I've decided to reconfigure the bath completely and make the shower larger.
More as I go along. Ricky

* This post was edited 10/31/11 02:17pm by MrSurly *

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/11 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a good time watchin ol Mark here restoring and modernizing a trailer

http://rveducation101.com/VideoTips/

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/11 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some of us put up our struggles for show in different places like this nutcase here..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vladatgates/

Aluminum Siding

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice. I really want to see the end result.

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck on the project - but we need more pics!

Have you checked out that Tin Can Tourist website - I would bet you will get more knowledgeable answers to your questions from them. There really aren't too many folks here that ever had an RV that old.

Pressure water system? I had one - liked it for the ability to really boondock - no need for electric just to get the water to run - but prefer the pump.

As far as replacement tanks - you will probably just have to measure and then search.

IMO you'd be better off with a newer power converter - I replaced mine with one from BestConverter.com and you can actually talk to someone there who will help you with your options.

It looks like you are diving right into the project - so please continue to share!

Trip Pics

"Are you sleeping.... Can you hear me?" Harry Nilsson

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

MrSurly

East Tx

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

Good luck on the project - but we need more pics!

Have you checked out that Tin Can Tourist website -.

I have, and will further. Some way cool old campers!

pasusan wrote:

Pressure water system? I had one - liked it for the ability to really boondock - no need for electric just to get the water to run - but prefer the pump.

Please elaborate?

pasusan wrote:

IMO you'd be better off with a newer power converter -

I am planning to upgrade to recent technology. It may have to wait as I do a little at a time. This 'budget' stuff is painful!

* This post was edited 11/04/11 02:38pm by MrSurly *

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/11 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holiday Rambler was a seperate company when your rig was bult. Ownership changed several times in the mid and late 90's.

Holiday Rambler is now owned by Monaco LLC, a new corporation as of 2009. The previous Monaco had a web site where they had some build sheets on older models, but I doubt anythng that old. You could call Monaco and ask for the parts department.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

MrSurly

East Tx

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've found what I assume is the VIN stamped into the hitch, perhaps someone here can tell me if their similar model has a similar VIN number format. This one is TE1115924V.
So far, I've found that the fridge works on AC but haven't tested it on gas yet. The range and oven both work. The furnace now works. Before trying the furnace, I went ahead and pulled it. I assumed that it would need cleaning at the least before running. I also found that it was one of the "recalled" models so I would need to address that. The cleaning of the furnace was certainly required as the critters had moved in...and, thank goodness, out again. The gas valve on this also was leaking by. Dis-assembly found some strange green junk in there, and I'm still not sure what it was, but cleaning it out fixed the issues and the furnace works quite well.
Some pics to follow.
The gas valve on the water heater leaks badly and I was searching for a valve ...but discovered that the water heater also has a small water leak(!), so the whole thing will have to go.
Ricky

* This post was edited 11/09/11 07:15pm by MrSurly *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 1970(?) HR Vacationer Project
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: