|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Route to Tampa

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
randco

Somewhere in time

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you travel I-75 there is the Stephen Foster State Park in White Springs, FL. A little further south and east of Ocala is Silver River State Park.

If you want to have some fun looking at a bunch of new and used RV's head to LazyDays RV Supercenter in Seffner, Florida which is a few miles east of Tampa. They are located about 3 miles east of I-75 on I-4. They have a campground, a Cracker Barrel is very close and there is a Pilot Station and Travel America for fuel.

While in Tampa visit Busch Gardens, the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI), about 45 miles to the south in Sarasota you can see the John and Mable Ringling Museum and home on Satasota Bay and nearby, the white flour sand of Siesta Key Beach.

Enjoy your trip.

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't have reservations, getting a state park site on the weekend might be a problem. Rainbow Springs State Park Dunnellon FL is nice. If you want a commercial resort type RV park, Quail Run in Wesley Chapel, FL is nice (not cheap). Hillsborough River State Park north of Tampa is nice. Stone Mountain GA (Atlanta area) is nice to visit. Tram up to top of mt. and museum. Coca Cola museum in Atlanta also. Salvadore Dali museum in St Petersburg if you like art.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

retired4fun2002

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I came thru Tampa yesterday about 2:30p.m. and it was super. I have also gone thru at 7:00a.m. and another around 5:00p.m., like someone mentioned earlier, it is a zoo; get thru before business begins or lets out. We usually stay in the middle lane and stay up with the traffic. Safe travels.

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2010 march we took I90 out of Buffalo to I 79 south, to Route 19 in West Virginia to I 64 and I 77 to 126 to I 95. Lots of hills near the bottom of I79 and I 77.
Many of our friends take I 75 out of Detroit and it follows all the way down. Probably will try it next time. Suppposed to be a lot less hills on the trip down.
JM2CW

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

Bob Shaw

Newnan Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just take I-75? It goes right to Tampa, and is good road all the way. I just came down that way through Georgia, and there was only 10 miles of construction in South Georgia. I-75 north bound was being paved in North Florida.

Bob Shaw

Newnan Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted double post.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assume that any body of water you are near contains an alligator.

Keep in mind an alligator will eat a dog in a heartbeat.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/11 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go to Tampa often. I jump off of I-95 at exit 129 in Fl (A1A) over to Callahan and hit 301. Take that to just North of Ocala and take 326 over to I-75. You will hit I-75 at exit 71 then take I-275 into Tampa. I-75 will also work depending on where you want to go. Be aware--301 seems to have a speed trap in every town--Waldo Wally is especially vigilent!

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/11 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bbasso wrote:

As with most major cities stay off I75 during rush hour... Tampa gets to a crawl. also on 275.

Did you ever go through Tampa? I 75 is east of downtown Tampa 275 goes through downtown Tampa! To avoid the traffic stay on 75, not 275! Lazy Days is just east of 75 on I 4 you can probably stay a few days there.

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an alternative route: Cross into Detroit at the Ambassador Bridge and take I-75 south. Take Exit 99 in Cordele, Georgia, and take the Florida-Georgia Parkway to Capps, Florida, then US-19/US-27 on the Gulf Coast to Tampa.
It's and easy and pleasant drive off the interstate, and there are a lot of little campgrounds along the way.
Places we've overnighted on that route between here and Detroit include the Walmart at Watertown, Ohio and Deluthe, Georgia.

Yankee Clipper
1997 Coachmen Catalina 330MB on F53/Ford 460efi
2004 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quadcab 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS
Not overly concerned about depreciation with this rig...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Route to Tampa
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS