RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Haven't Camped In 20+ Years - Need Advice.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Haven't Camped In 20+ Years - Need Advice.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My parents used to take the 3 of us camping to the local sites when we were kids. The last time was probably 20+ years ago I'm 32 now.

In the early summer there was talk of my parents purchasing a camper but they got scared off for some reason. I then took it upon myself to purchase a new tent, a new screen tent and other supplies. I at least wanted to go out with my wife a few times a year. About 3 weeks after I bought my tent my parents changed their mind and purchased a new camper. lol

My parents bought the camper but any of us can take the unit out if we want it. So far, so good. The summer bookings have already started for next year and the one campground everyone REALLY wants sells out in mere seconds. Hot commodity. My brother was able to get a Friday check-in after weeks of trying so he's taking the camper out. At that point I had the option of waiting until the following week to go after he gets back. (You are only allowed one week per home address per peak season) Since we REALLY want to go I tried to book the following morning and was able to get a Saturday checkin, the day after he gets in so we will be staying out there all week together. I would rather tent camp then risk not going at all because of waiting till the camper was free. Of course we'll be using my new tent supplies. IT works out great though because we are only about 6 camp sites from each other. Here is what I purchased so far.

-Rubber Mallet
-Coleman Tent Light
-12x16 5 mil tarp for under tent
-2 person cook set
-My screen tent http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033990PG/ref=oh_o04_s03_i00_details
-2 Coleman warm weather sleeping bags
-Coleman Tent http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QUT9OE/ref=oh_o04_s05_i00_details
-Heavy Duty Stakes

We have assorted flashlights. I'll have to raid my parents attic but I know we have some kerosene lanterns, gas stove, coolers and more. We do get the benefit of having the camper there so I'm sure we'll be doing some meals with my brothers family too.

We used to just sleep in the sleeping bags but my parents bought very cheap inflatable pool rafts that we would blow up and put under the sleeping bags. We used those rafts for the last few times we camped. Is there anything better?

FWIW, we'll be going the end of July, beginning of August. Whatever those Saturday's work out to be. The campground is on the beach so it never gets too hot and there's usually a breeze.

The tent we used 25 years ago was a coleman I believe. I can't say I remember there being a problem with rain but I was so young I don't remember. One night the tent did collapse and we slept in the car but I remember it being a very bad storm. My brother used this tent about 7 years ago and said it did leak a bit but that was at the seams which had signs of tearing apart.

I've never heard of a rain fly until recently and the tent I bought doesn't have one. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do? The tent has very solid reviews, with the main negative reviews being about leaking. Some bad reviews said it leaked when with light mists and other reviews say it was bone dry during heavy rain. Go figure. lol Is there anything I can do to prevent water from getting inside? Does anyone have this tent?

Anything else I should know or consider? Thanks!

towhead

Heber Springs, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing I can add will do more than raise more questions. The best advise I could give is to set up your camp in the back yard and give it a night and a day to see just how it goes. A dry run will reveal any shortcomings in your preperations. Stay out of the house except for the bathroom. Try cooking out and everything. It has been a long time since we tent camped but done right it can be a very comfortable and enjoyable experience rain or shine. Good luck, Dave

Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL

twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/11 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a couple of Rubbermaid Ruffnecks. Get to some estate or garage sales for your cookware, flatware,etc. You would be surprised what you can find second hand if you don't have it in the attic. Pretend in the yard (or basement in the winter). See what you might need. Spend the winter getting all of what you might want. Some cards and travel games are nice. There are A LOT of nice camping items that weren't around 20 years ago (roll-up tables, aerobeds, washable sleeping bags, windup flashlights, collapsible things) some you will want and some you might not. Spend some time reviewing the tent camping forum and the faqs on this site. Keep a binder of camping maps and brochures from various campgrounds. count the days til spring and have fun.

Western New Yorkers
Our Westie now waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. When my parents got the camper last month that's exaclt what I told them. Sit in the camper all weekend in the driveway and pretend you're camping. They came up with some items they probably wouldn't have thought about otherwise.

A concern of mine is the weather. Is there anything I should do to prevent water from getting in the tent? I really don't remember the old family tent leaking but like I said, I was young and may not remember. I was thinking about bringing our clothes in rubbermaid totes to be on the safe side.

Should I look at purcahsing a large tarp with grommets that I throw over the tent if it looks like rain? I suppose I could stake one side down and then simply toss the tarp over the tent in case of rain and then stake down the other side. I read somewhere about waterproofing the tent.

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/11 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Set the tent up in the yard, wet it down, see if it leaks, if so seal the seams with seam sealer (avail at wally world.)
Forget the blow up pool mats, get a couple of Zrest mattersses (avail at WWW.campmor.com )If there is a bass pro shop or something similar close, go check out the latest camping gadgets and ideas. Check all equipment before going out, then make lists of what to carry and use the list when packing.
Good luck and have a great trip....

Expect the worst, Hope for the best,
settle for whatever comes in between

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/11 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually if a tent needs a rainfly it will come with one. Ive had a similar model when the widows are zipped up it is supposedly watertight, Seam seal it I just dont think its done during manufacture anymore.

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/11 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do I use to seal it? Do just the seams get sealed or am I spraying the entire outside of the tent?

silverz51

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/11 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vladen wrote:

Usually if a tent needs a rainfly it will come with one. Ive had a similar model when the widows are zipped up it is supposedly watertight, Seam seal it I just dont think its done during manufacture anymore.

My REI Half Dome plus tent was seam sealed and waterproof from the store. I think any good quality tent will be ready for rain right out of the store. A cheap tent on the other hand, will not likely keep water out even after seam sealing. Apparently in tents the old saying is very true "you get what you pay for"

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paper towel, paper plates, purell, pail(s) dish pan, water jug. If you buy styrofoam plates please don't burn them in the campfire. The fumes are terrible.

tplife69

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/11 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverz51 wrote:

vladen wrote:

My REI Half Dome plus tent was seam sealed and waterproof from the store. I think any good quality tent will be ready for rain right out of the store. A cheap tent on the other hand, will not likely keep water out even after seam sealing. Apparently in tents the old saying is very true "you get what you pay for"

Tents are not seam-sealed at the factory - you must do this yourself on the rain-exposed seams from the inside to seal the small holes. Quality tents often have "welded" or "taped" seams, these do not require seam sealing. If your tent was waterproofed out of the box, it has only "welded" or "taped" seams where water can contact the tent. If it has seams that aren't, you must seam-seal them with sealer and a small paintbrush. DO NOT use sprays on a tent, they will de-laminate after UV exposure and besides causing a small snowstorm will be extremely ugly afterward.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Haven't Camped In 20+ Years - Need Advice.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS