RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Camping World...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Camping World...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
revump

Deer Park, WA or Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/11 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had good luck with CW. Our only difficulty is that they never can get us in with a two or three week wait

Bob

skeet4me

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/11 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had such a bad time with service on my new MH that I emailed the CEO of Camoing World. I just got passed off and it was obvious he was not concerned with my experience. I find many times it takes several trips to get things fixed right. Also, as someone else mentioned, I never tell them anymore that they can have a couple weeks to do anything because my coach will sit on their lot until a day or two before pickup time and then the parts don't arrive in time to get it fixed. Happened to me more than once. If I had somewhere else close by, they would not see me again.

Steve and Kathy
Zeke and Zoe too!
U.S. Navy Retired and loving life
2011 Thor Tuscany 42FK

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/11 02:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

gbopp wrote:

It's like going to a doctors office. The appointment time doesn't really mean much.
Customer Service should be on the endangered species list.

We really should start charging the doctor by the hour when we have to sit in his waiting room. My / your, time is just as valuable as his. I expect him to start on time, as the folks that depend on me. Expect me to start on time.
Remember that statement when you get shoo'ed out of the office when you need more time with the doc and the next person has your "my time is just as valuable" mentality. I don't want to wait either, but I also want as much doc time as I need and boo hoo for the next guy

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

JALLEN4

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/11 05:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

JALLEN4 wrote:

randallb wrote:

Jallen4,
That is the most uninformed statement ever. Many of my competitors, most of whom I considered friends, always had full parking lots but if you looked closely you would see that the cars were the same just parked in a different location each day. I booked my shop in a manner that would guarantee the vehicle back in the hands of the customer by the end of the work day unless additional repairs were requested by the customer at drop off or additional repairs were noticed while the vehicle was in the shop. If the additional repairs found while the vehicle was in the shop were not a safety issue my customers were given the option of leaving the vehicle or rescheduling for another day. I also paid my guys by the hour not flat rate. Given my business model everyone should have been happy. My market was in a major city without a viable public transportation system so my BM should have been the best one going. Unfortunately it was not because of no shows or late arrivals. It also became apparent to me that if your customer does not have something to complain about around the water cooler the next day they feel ripped off. The customer has a very important part to play in the repair of their vehicle but no one seems to want to hear about their responsibilities. Quite often we were left standing around because of the no shows but this allowed us to have one of the cleanest shops in the area. So an empty shop does not necessarily mean a bad shop. Look closely and the weak shops will be easy to spot. Things are always a bit messy and disorganized, the cars on the lot are long term guests and you will normally not get your vehicle back when promised. I retired a 51 so I know my BM worked but if the customers had fulfilled their responsibilities by being on time and reachable at the phone number provided I would have done much better.
Randy

One should never be too old to learn and since you obviously have a better method, perhaps you could explain?

The customer calls and tells you his A/C does not work. You ask him why and he responds he has no idea. You set an appointment for 8:00 AM which he may or may not be on time for or in some cases does not show up at all. How much time did you allow for that or did you only schedule one job per mechanic per day?

The A/C problem could be a fifteen minute fuse replacement or a one hour recharge. On the other hand it could be a condensor, evaporator, compressor, control head, sensor, or seal. In some cases, it will be a combination of two or three of these. I have seen them take as little as ten minutes and never leave the write up area and I have seen the repair take two days. Obviously the ten minute repair leaves that hourly guy looking for another job and the two day ordeal leaves that tech unavailable. How did you account for that?

Unless you are a specialty shop with a limited range of repairs, diagnosing and setting time parameters over the phone is nearly impossible. That would be especially true if you are full service shop. Dealerships do everything from trim work to transmissions to heavy engine work. They also do electrical work on today's highly computerized vehicles. I have seen good mechanics work on a car for a week trying to fix an electrical problem and fail. What does that do to your schedule of one car in and one car out within the same day?

I spent 42 years being ultimately responsible for often more than 100,000 repair orders written in a year in new car dealerships. While I may be drastically "uninformed", no one is going to convince me that it is easy and they never missed a time-line whether it be when the job was started or finished!

JAllen4, I'm just trying to visualize 100,000 work orders a year that you would be responsible for.... 100,000/312 days (6 day workweek) = 320.5 work orders a day. You had one busy shop/shops to look after!

To all...
I just took my Dynasty to Colton Truck Terminal Garage in Colton, CA, yesterday to have them 're-fix' the A/C that they recharged back in May. It only lasted about 2 weeks into my 2 month trip.

Come to find out, there were two bad Schrader valves. When I make an appointment with them, the ultimate goal is to drop it off in the morning 8 AM and hopefully it will be ready by the end of the day. So far, after 4.5 yrs, it has mostly worked that way at this shop.

When I make an appointment, I expect them to start on it within reason....lets say within an hour of my arrival.

A doctors or dentist office, I won't wait more than 30 minutes at the doctors or 15 minutes at the dentist. Unless of course they come out and tell there has been an emergency or something. My time is important too and I'm not going to wait an excessive amount of time in a waiting room! So far, I have very good considerate doctors/dentists.

Happy travels,
MM.

At our largest we had five stores that wrote beteen 50 RO's a day for the smallest and one that worked two shifts and wrote 125 per day. The numbers also reflect body shops at three of the locations and a very busy tire and accessory shop.

While the tire and accessory shop was busy, scheduling was much more simple because you were doing repetitive tasks where the time element was much more fixed. In a full service shop, until the diagnosis was made, it was difficult to put a time to a job. You might start the day with a transmission fluid change that takes an hour only to find metal in the transmission and wind up with a rebuild or replacement. There is no magic way to pre-schedule that and now you have lost a techs time for an extended period.

I said I could write a book on scheduling and I could. One that nobody would read because if your car or truck is not in the shop on time, you could care less. Factually, it is a very difficult task to keep on track and there are a myriad of complications to throw off a schedule.

If you are the first vehicle scheduled at the start of a day, chances are you are in and out close to time. But, if a line of ten vehicles are there at opening in a five tech shop, somebody is not getting immediate service. How the first five jobs go will determine how close to schedule the others will be.

If you have never tried to keep a busy full service shop on schedule, it might sound easy. In reality it is not. Shop owners are not all idiots and they don't set out to give bad service in a competitive business. There are complications just as frustrating to shops as they are to the customer.

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/11 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like there is variance in service
Many times I have taken my rig to CW Gulf Breeze and said I would wait. They slotted me when they could start it and got right on it.

must be Gators............

mc.cc

Southeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/11 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought that making an appointment at CW meant that you were only authorized to bring in. Work may not be done for several months.

chili's trip

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/11 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can rely on Holland Motorhome in Holland MI starting work within 1/2 hour of my on-time arrival. Usually there is an empty bay waiting for my rig. Looks like I'm spoiled! Good luck!

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/11 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mc.cc wrote:

I thought that making an appointment at CW meant that you were only authorized to bring in. Work may not be done for several months.

1. That is the norm, but we explain that and any Service Shop should explain that detail when taking appointments. As to the "several months", that is ridicolous, NO SHOP can afford or have space available for storing RV's for several months. IF you cannot get on the RV in the next 5 business days, then you need to STOP bringing in work. Catch up on your backlog. I would NEVER leave my RV for more than 2 weeks unless they had to order special parts and I did not want to pick up and bring it back. Most of our customers pick up the RV and bring it back for the Special Order Parts(SOP) to be installed when they come in. BTW a WELL run shop will make sure that when SOP parts come in and the unit is still there to pull that RV in immediately and install those parts. "Some" shops will then put that sop part RV behind the regular scheduled units which is wrong. Doug

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/11 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uhmm, ok never mind.

Jeff and Kim
2009 Bounder 35H (Gas Workhorse chassis)
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/11 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goufgators wrote:

I recently learned something new at Camping World in Tallahassee. I've bought several RV's there over the past ten years and have had most of my repair/maintenance work done there. And, I've been generally pleased with the service. A few days ago, I made an appointment to have minor work done on a leaking toilet. The appointment was for 8:30 and I planned to wait for the work to be done. At 10:00, 1.5 hours after my appointment time, the coach was still sitting in the front parking lot with no apparent attention being paid to it. Well, that got my dander up and I began complaining about making an appointment, keeping my end of the bargain and Camping World apparently ignoring there end of the deal. The service technician finally had the coach pulled back to a service bay and the work was eventially completed. What I learned from the service tech is that when making an appointment with CW, that company is not agreeing to begin work at the appointment time but only agreeing to have the work done no later than the end of the day of the appointment! Who knew ?? From now on, when I make an appointment for service work, I'll not plan to wait for the work to be done since it could, according to their 'appointment policy', take all day! Seems to me that CW should make such policies known. It would avoid unhappy customers who, under normal conditions, expect appointments to mean that work will begin at the time of appointment unless an emergency or unexpected situation causes a delay.

Larry

Sounds like my only two experiences with a Freightliner shop. Appointment at 7:30, coach run into stall at 11:00, work started at 1:30-2:00, and finished about 5:00. And since I'd traveled 90 miles for this appointment they knew I was waiting as they told me where the waiting room was.
No more FL shops for me.

Wagonmaster2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Camping World...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: