|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Clorox in Fresh Water Tank

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Eyeland

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/11 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to add Clorox to the fresh water tank to clean/shock the system. The Rv has a 70gal tank. How much clorox should I put to the tank?
If I remember correctly I will let the solution sit in the tank over night, drain and refill a couple of times. Thanks for the info.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/11 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say 1 1/2 cups ought to do it.
I pour mine into the end of the white hose and fill the tank using that hose which tends to sanitize the white hose at the same time.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

traxtermax

UPSTATE NEW YORK

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/11 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought baking soad was used primarily to remove odors.

troll3193

SouthWest, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/11 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got this process from the forums years ago and it has worked great..

"Determine the capacity of the entire fresh water system, including the water heater. You may want to estimate the capacity of the water lines, or you can leave them out of the equation. Take the total capacity and multiply by 0.13. The result is the number of ounces of bleach to use. Pour the bleach into a container and fill the rest of the container with water. Pour the contents of the container into the fresh water holding tank. This prevents straight bleach from contacting anything. Fill up the fresh water tank. Using the onboard pump and pump the water from the holding tank through all water lines and the water heater. Once all lines are filled, top of the holding tank so the bleach/water mixture is touching all sides of the tank. Let sit for at least 4 hours but no more than 24 hours. Drain holding tank and water heater. Fill and drain holding tank completely at least 2 times before filling again to use water to flush out water lines and water heater. If you still smell the bleach after doing this, fill and flush again. "

this would suggest to use 9.1 ounces for your 70 gallon tank...

Bryan

2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/11 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instructions that came with our Komfort say to use a box of baking soda for that. Other brands have instructions to use bleach. Seems weird that both could be correct, but there it is.

Doesn't your rig's instruction manual say how much to use?

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/11 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1/4 cup per 15 gallon capacity of the system. I have a 40 gallon fresh water tank and a 6 gallon water heater, so I have about a 46 or 47 gallon system. I use 3/4 cup of bleach and fill the water tank. Drive around a bit to mix thoroughly, then pump it through all the pipes, faucets, etc and let it sit 4 hours before draining and rinsing.

If you double the amount of bleach, you can cut the time from 4 hours to 1 hour.

In your system, 70 gallon tank plus 6 gallon water heater is 76 gallons. That would be 1&1/4 cups of bleach (or about 10 ounces).

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kids (1&1/2 German Shepherds)
2007 Winnebago Outlook WF331C on a Ford E450 Super Duty Chassis
2010 Subaru Forester w/BlueOx baseplate & Ready Brute Elite towbar

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/11 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had some stinky water and tried the 1/4 cup to 15 gallon rule. Didn't work--twice.

So, I doubled the dose and went for a drive---that worked.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/11 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

The instructions that came with our Komfort say to use a box of baking soda for that. Other brands have instructions to use bleach. Seems weird that both could be correct, but there it is.

Perhaps the Komfort instructions are more designed on how to clean rather than how to sanitize? Pretty sure that baking soda doesn't have any meaningful impact on bacteria but is known to be a decent overall cleaning product. When I sanitize I use bleach - I then follow up with baking soda which I assume helps clean the linings as well as help eliminate the chlorine smell.

Kevin

Clarryhill

Midcoast Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/11 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll go along with Bobbo, 1/4 cup per 15 gallon capacity, so a cup and a quarter should do for your tank.

2005 GMC 2500HD D/A
2008 COLORADO 31 RL-BS

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/11 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To shock the system, use 1/2 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of water. Adding in your water heater gives you about 75 gallons capacity, so use 2.5 cups of bleach. Dilute it in about a gallon of water, add to the tank with the tank about half full. Then finish filling the tank.

Run the hot water first until you smell chlorine coming out, that will let you know the water heater is full of bleach mixture. Then run the cold taps. Be sure to get EVERY hot & cold connection--shower inside & out, tub, kitchen & bathroom sinks.

Let the bleach water sit in the lines for about 12 hours. Then drain the tank & refill with fresh water, run it through all the lines for a good long while. If you keep on getting chlorine smell for a long time, mix up some baking soda and add to the tank, flush the lines again. Then drain and flush out the lines with fresh water again.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Clorox in Fresh Water Tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: