RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Please help us pick a campground in Va.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Please help us pick a campground in Va.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Big Ray

??

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/11 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shot-N-Az wrote:

D & M wrote:

Ray,

I have been to both and I think your best bet is Bethpage. Very well kept. Water park the kids. The town of Urbanna is nice. In fact I just got back from a trip to Urbanna this past weekend for the annual Oyster Festival. I stayed at Bethpage's sister park, Grey's Point Marina.

We used to like Cherrystone, but like others have posted, it's getting old and tired.

How was Grey's Point? Bethpage was full of drunks.
Please don't tell me that.

2011 Rockwood 8314BSS Signature
2013 Ram 3500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab DRW with the 6.7 Cummins

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/11 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Ray wrote:

Shot-N-Az wrote:

D & M wrote:

Ray,

I have been to both and I think your best bet is Bethpage. Very well kept. Water park the kids. The town of Urbanna is nice. In fact I just got back from a trip to Urbanna this past weekend for the annual Oyster Festival. I stayed at Bethpage's sister park, Grey's Point Marina.

We used to like Cherrystone, but like others have posted, it's getting old and tired.

How was Grey's Point? Bethpage was full of drunks.
Please don't tell me that.

Don't sweat it. I have never had a problem at either Beth Page or Grey's Point and I have been going there for 5 years.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (the Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

Tough times don't last forever. Tough people do.

bucky

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/11 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The oyster fest is a boisterous time in Urbanna, kind of like an infield at a Nascar race. They double up the spots, one heck of an adult party. The other 51 weeks are pretty laid back. I had forgotten about NN Park. It is a beautiful setting, and close to a lot of stuff.

I just realized that my last 4 trucks were gas GMC, diesel Ford, gas Chevy, and now a diesel Dodge. I didn't realize I was so open minded lol.

Big Wheel

Virginia Beach, Va.

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/11 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Newport News Park. Its a rustic style campground. Like a state park. Its close to Williamsburg and not very far from Norfolk and Virginia Beach.You can read the reviews on rvparkreviews.com.

DaCrema

Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am new at RV camping. Last month I stayed at Newport News park while visiting our daughter at a local college (wanted to show her the new to us RV). In the summer take US 17 south instead of I-95. It takes me 3 to 3.5 hrs from DC.

The campground had water and power. The camps sites were not all that close together. If you have a tow, it is very close to Williamsburg, James Town, and Yorktown. It was the site of an early Civil War battle the bunkers are still visible, you sleep on the Confederate side of the battleline. Across the bridge in Va Beach there is a very nice aquirium. You can go whale watching from any of the beaches. Inside the campground there is fishing, bird watching, and a nice playground.

http://www.nnparks.com/parks_nn.php

NMDoyle@aol.com

Yardley Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to Bethpage twice (both times in August). The park is extremely clean! The waterpark is amazing (lots to do for our kids which range from 6 to 14). The sandy front lake is great and the water trampoline is a lot of fun. Sites are "planned", not wooded, so we don't need to worry about not fitting in with our big toyhauler. The roads are paved, which is great for bike riding. Playgrounds are nice. Heading back this year too (it's a 6+ hour drive for us)..we love Bethpage!

selectsplat

Chesterfield, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a few of my favorites...

Bethpage is not bad. Definitely a huge party. A little too crowded, and a little too 'touristy' for me. Is on the river, but you don't feel like you're on the river.

Grey's Point is in the same mold. A smaller park, a little more laid back. Just as many amenities. Is also on the river, but you don't really feel like you're on the river.

Frontier Town is similar. Less like camping and more like staying at a 'theme park' ish.

Castaway's is a fantastic place on the eastern shore, not far from frontier town, and IMO, better. Less crowded.

Gloucester Point (recently purchased and renovated by jellystone) has been greatly improved over the last year or so. More rustic, but decent amenities.

Holiday Trav L park in VB is BIG and pretty darn crowded. Getting a super site here is a must have. I didn't like that the campground wasn't on the water, but lots of other amenities. Very cool nighttime pool party every weekend.

Williamsburg Outdoor World is clean, has decent amenities and is extremely centrally located. It' 45 minutes to the oceanfront, 10 minutes from Bush Gardens, 5 minuts from colonial williamsburg and yorktown.

Rainbow Acres is a rustic little campground on the river. Good place to go if you have a boat.

Rocahock is famous for their amphlitheatre and country music concerts. Also located on a river.

Shenandoah Valley Campground - Rustic, has a 3 story waterfall and a lazy tube ride on a small steam.

Thousand Trails Chesapeake Bay - used to be members only, but now allows a small percentage of non-memeber sites per weekend. This is probably my favorite place in VA. I ended up joining after my fist visit there, after I had been to all these others. It's on the most beautiful small river I've ever seen (piankatank), you can see the river from every campsite, sites are large, large pavilion, 2 pools, beach vollyball, large kids gameroom with pool table, ping pong, wii, large cable tv, and an assortment of board games and video games. Boat ramp and fishing docs, golf cart trails through acres and acres of land, tennis courts, putt putt, and more.

2011 Heartland Trail Runner 27FQBS
2010 Bayliner 175
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L iForce 4wd
2003 Chevy Trailblazer 4.3L 4wd
2006 EZGO PDS
Thousand Trails Memeber

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Please help us pick a campground in Va.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS