|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Question regarding electrical wiring

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kd8wdave

Middletown,OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/11 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hurricaner wrote:

You need a megger to do it right. A vom will not tell you if the insulation is bad.

Sam

Sam is correct !!
cheers

Leewhiz

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/11 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is another device that will help you with everything, but is not generally used by a small electrical company. It's called a TDR (time, distance, reflectometer) and this unit can by it's electronics tell you exactly where the fault is located and how bad it is. When your talking about the distance you are and whether or not you may have to pull new wire this may be the way to go. With this you can just measure down the line, dig it up and do a splice, or you can possibly just pull the bad line or lines.

Lee
2008 Tiffin Phaeton QDH

eldondo

great plains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/11 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Well I was not disappointed. You folks are awesome. It will take me some time to digest this good info. I will just try to explain briefly what the deal is, in case anyone is interested and/or has any additional bright ideas!

The wires in question are aluminum and are very thick, I would guess about 1/4 inch of aluminum. They originally were used to power a center pivot sprinkler. Probably 8 or 10 powerful electrical motors that was attached to a gear box that turned the wheels that made the sprinkler go around and around. I can't remember what my son-in-law told me, it was something like single phase or 3 phase? Anyway now I was thinking that if 3 of the 4 wires were intact I could have it hooked up to 220v, have a submersible pump dropped down the well, which used to be an irrigation well, and, have a reliable source of water for whatever I wanted to use it for, cattle, garden or whatever. Just trying to do this as inexpensively as I can. Thanks again for all the knowledge.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Question regarding electrical wiring
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS