|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> onan camp power generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bill T

upstate sc

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/11 04:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Mark

Thanks for the comments. If my future TC has an onboard generator or not would not be a deal breaker. I am use to using my Honda 2000i and am very pleased with its operation. The convience of having an onboard generator would be very nice,especially when the wife wants to use her hair drier and its snowing or raining outside.
But I guess I'm over sensitive to noise even tho I can't hear******loud generators are very annoying.

Bill T

Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

willyarnold3

Florida Keys

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/11 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msiminoff wrote:

When I do need it (read: Not often), the little Honda will run anything in my camper; A/C, microwave, 100A battery charger, etc...

What size / model A/C do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Willy

2001 F-350 XLT, Powerstroke 7.3L, 4x4, Auto, excab, SB, SRW, 3.73, posi, Rancho 5000, Michelin A/T2 LRE, Titan V
2004 Lance 820, Tork TD/Happi TB, Ride-Rites, Decor/Weather/Conv/Ext Packages, Mach 3 PS, solar, Tri-Fuel eu2000i

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/11 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is nice to have a generator on board and as already noted, they are louder that way. I have a propane generator and have had problems with mine and the first one was replaced, under warranty. There is a thread of mine, on this;Onan Generator

I still have the Onan and with the extended warranty too. I use a Honda eu3000is now and wouldn't want anything else.

Also, the comment about propane being difficult to find and that couldn't be further from the truth. BBQ' tanks can be found, 24/7 at most "Stop n Rob" stores, as well as unmanned stations at Lowes and Home Depot. For filling, that is easy too, just Google the town's name and Propane and up pops various locations. Works slick on an iPhone and some Apps' will note Propane locations as part of their mapping. One just needs to remember, most of the US citizens that live outside of a town, run on Propane to heat, so they have to get it from somewhere!

Have fun and happy camping.

b

Joners

Idaho Falls, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/11 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the generator space on my Lance 820 for storing tools, 50 foot extension cord, saw, jumper cables, tow straps, compact (120psi) air compressor, extra lubricants, extra fuel for the genny and other miscellaneous (and hopefully not needed items). My portable Honda genny supplies whatever is needed, from charging my 12Vdc system to operating my 13 Amp microwave. I would not go with a built in LP generator. The portable can be moved away from the camper and you don't hear it. I only use a 25 foot, 3W/12ga, cord from the generator to the camper.

Cap'n Bob

1996 Chevy K1500 4X4 Short Box, 5.7L Vortec, E rated tires, Lance Model 820 with Cabover Struts, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags, KYB MonoMax Shocks, Torklift Stable Loads, Happijac Truck Camper Tiedowns and Turnbuckles, Honda Eu2000i Inverter/Generator.

Kidoo

Chicoutimi, Québec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/11 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The onan gives some vibrations to the camper. I was thinking of selling my onan and only use my Honda 2000. But One thing about my onboard Onan is that I start it from inside, run it on a parking lot, not worry about someone steeling it, do not have to store it after use it is already there and can run it just for a quick nice Capuccino Cofee in the morning no matter where I am.
Hope it last for a long time without break down but I do not use it a lot now with the Solar and 2 x 6volt batteries.

Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

kehale

Arizona 2011

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/11 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also run your Onan CampPower 2500 while driving.

My choice would be to get both. I have an EU2000i for a backup, but the Onan gets more use when I'm stopped and need AC.

I can't really much hear the Onan over the roar of the air conditioner anyway.

For just charging the batteries, I'd rather have an EU1000 or it's Yamaha competition.

06 Lance 1181

Kidoo

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/11 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yamaha is a very quiet machine and does not use much fuel. I used one at my cottage and it did not last more than 5 years, I was using it around 12 week end. I think all gene have their flaws. On the yam, my caburator was replaced once. Then it would not run when cold, in the minus F, had to unplug a line for winter. Then it build up some carbon on the valve so it would not run properly, especially when cold, had to take it apart. Then the clip disconnected from a valve and destroyed the cylinder. 450 just in part to put it back toghether so that was too much money, I bought a Honda. The Honda is good but I had a wire that disconnected inside, repaired on warranty. If you live it with the fuel valve open while traveling or from cold to hot temp, the fuel overflow in your carburator then in your engine oil pan, you can destroy the motor.
My Onan runs well in cold temp, no special attention, just change oil so faI croos my finger, .

Dan50

Saint-Amable Quebec Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/11 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kidoo wrote:

Yamaha is a very quiet machine and does not use much fuel. I used one at my cottage and it did not last more than 5 years, I was using it around 12 week end. I think all gene have their flaws. On the yam, my caburator was replaced once. Then it would not run when cold, in the minus F, had to unplug a line for winter. Then it build up some carbon on the valve so it would not run properly, especially when cold, had to take it apart. Then the clip disconnected from a valve and destroyed the cylinder. 450 just in part to put it back toghether so that was too much money, I bought a Honda. The Honda is good but I had a wire that disconnected inside, repaired on warranty. If you live it with the fuel valve open while traveling or from cold to hot temp, the fuel overflow in your carburator then in your engine oil pan, you can destroy the motor.
My Onan runs well in cold temp, no special attention, just change oil so faI croos my finger, .

What model Yamaha was it?

Dan
2006 Ford F-350 King Ranch PSD CC LB DRW 4X4 Off Road
2012 Heartland Elkridge 34QSRL

Kidoo

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/11 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1000 EFI, I mainly had problem when it was cold, from say 5 degree F. No problem in the summer. Too bad because it was very quiet and fuel efficient.

kcabpilot

CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/11 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kidoo wrote:

Hope it last for a long time without break down but I do not use it a lot now with the Solar and 2 x 6volt batteries.

Non-use is not good for them. I run mine with load for an hour every month.

1994 Lance 990 on 1997 F350 PSD Dually "Rhino Haunches"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> onan camp power generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS