RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Level first....slides out first?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Level first....slides out first?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RCtime

So. Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/11 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azpete wrote:

my dad used to say "common sense is an uncommon thing". at the time, i thought thats just plain dumb. of course i didnt tell him.
now that im older, i find myself quoting him more and more.

You dad was a wise man

I think a wise man would follow the directions in his owners manual.

Mine says (winnebago) level 1st

Others do not

Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

michahicks

Waterford/Gaylord, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/11 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

michahicks wrote:

Cloud Dancer wrote:

Do you believe your statement above is true because of the type of levelers that you have, or do you believe that it's true regardless of which levelers you have?
I'm curious to know the explanation because this certainly is not the case with my equipment.

Why are you trying to complicate the issue with what jacks are used? Are you telling me that if you are on a site that is twisting your coach that you are unable to untwist it in the leveling process?

Second part of the problem. Are you telling me that you're extending your slide knowing the coach is twisted? Would you encourage others do that as well?

These points all moot on a flat level site, right? Those are not the ones I'm thinking of....

If you read my posts on this thread you will see that I've answered your questions. But, I can't find where you answered my question. I didn't think my question to you was complicated, is that what it is?

Ok, I did go back and read your post - stating pretty much the same beliefs I have regarding the topic at hand.

So apparently you want to discuss jacks? What type of jacks are in play while leveling your coach before or after you extend your slide is not on topic here as far as I'm concerned, but if you want to go there, I'll say regardless...

Not being fond of the jacks (HWH), or their mounts (flimsy), on this most recent purchase, I generally only use them to stabilize. I use wood blocks under the tires to do most of my leveling. Leveling in this manner makes what kind of jacks are on board a moot issue?

I suspect others not fond of their system (for whatever reason) could do the same?

1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/11 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never mind, I'm sorry I asked.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

RV-1/2n-FUN

FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/11 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could not read all the replies because so many respondents were giving instructions for a DP with air bags and if I am correct, the Ford V10 F53 chassis has NO AIR BAGS TO DUMP. At least mine doesn't.

Apples and Oranges. No?

My directions, level then slides out and slides in then retract jacks.

The Texan

Winter - Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/11 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV-1/2n-FUN wrote:

I could not read all the replies because so many respondents were giving instructions for a DP with air bags and if I am correct, the Ford V10 F53 chassis has NO AIR BAGS TO DUMP. At least mine doesn't.

Apples and Oranges. No?
Not when the manufacturers instructions say the same thing, for steel or air.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

GAMEBOYLEE

traveling doing karaoke

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what makes anyone thing the engineers know all and do all//i had a 1969 pontiac i couldnt get at the last sparkplug to change it that was way before the newer tools..i also had a english ford cortina to change the starte i had to remove the driver side motor mounts and lift up enginge with a jack to replace the starter....i have had other instances with different problems the engineers design them but they dont test them they let you road test it why do you think every time we turn around there are millions of recalls on vehicles sometimes every a few years old..sorry engineers are more human than anyone else to err is human to forgive devine

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Ford V-10. 2012 Vista 30T. Leave engine running when pulled on to parking place. Depress emergency brake. Level. Put slides out. Check level and tweak if necessary as the two slides on one side change the level slightly. If I am parked for several days I revisit level as things change and all of that is with slides out. When ready to leave. Slides in and jacks up and again all while engine is running. Works well.

2inAlabama

Lake Whitney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My HWH instructions (Freightliner chassis) say NEVER do any leveling once the slide is deployed, so level, deploy slide and leave it alone.

Just DH & DW
Shopping for a Foretravel U320 42 ft

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 05:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. Mine are power gear. I have found that when parked on a softer service, even hard packed gravel, that after a couple of days I lose a bit of level and usually more so on the side with two slides so I start the engine and manually tweak it. I hate to bring slides in and relevel and then redeploy but perhaps I should. Would be interested in other experiences.

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, there are a lot of differing opinions on this one. From reading the 11 pages of posts I think what process you use depends on weather it is gas or diesel, suspension type, and the different coach, year, chassis, slide, leveler manufactures, and what combination of all of the above the coach builder decides to use. Me I follow two things, what the manual states and what the guy who did my PDI and walk thru did (which matched the manual). I videoed the whole process while we went through it and whenever I have a question that is what I go back to. I'm pretty sure mine is level first then put out slides but it has been sitting for the winter so I'll check the video to be sure.
Todd

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Level first....slides out first?
Search:   Advanced Search