RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Level first....slides out first?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Level first....slides out first?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
generalexam

usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/11 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTHarley wrote:

I've owned 5 coaches since we started RV'ing and all of them have stated:

Level first, extend slides, recheck level.

Check the manufacturer's suggestion for your coach.

I 100% Disagree.Assuming your on a decent surface you extend your slides before leveling for two reasons.One being the slide is set and designed to extend under non jack pressure circumstances(frame/body flex) and 2 u have different weight center,s once slides are out

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/11 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parrealty wrote:

My 2010 Monaco (Ford V10) manual specifically states to extend the slides first and then level. A warning sign on the slide switch panel, however, clearly says to level first before extending the slides. Still waiting for a response from Monaco. Any advice?
Denny
IMHO, I level first that way there's no binding in the slide out when it's extending or retracting. My Winnebago manual say's to level first. I have never leveled first and had to level a second time! If the coach is uneven and the slides are extended or retracted this could cause a bind! It happened to me years ago (1999) when, I owned a Fleetwood and it caused a shear pin to break in the slide out.

* This post was edited 11/09/11 03:36pm by J-Rooster *

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/11 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It occurred to me that what's lacking is the basic knowledge that might explain why the manufacture would want you to extend the slides first. Or would want you to lift the front first. Or, whatever they want you to do.

As a camper, I want a system that does NOT require me to find a level spot firt. And, I want a system that does not require me to lift the front first. And, I want a system that allows me to dump the air in the suspension first (I want the door steps to not need more steps).
BTW that system would be the HWH Bi-Axis 4 leveler system.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

mdanielson55

tyler texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/11 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MY BEAVER SAYS TO SLIDES FIRST THEN LEVEL NO EXCEPTIONS DO WHAT YOUR COACH INSTRUCTIONS SAY

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/11 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Also, most people refuse to follow the Monaco procedure of raising the front jack 1st, 2" to 3" before raising the rear jacks and this alone, will twist the frame big time.

This is a new one on me. My Safari's (Monaco built) leveler operator's panel only have buttons labeled "Auto", "Man", "On-Off", and "Retract all jacks". During manual mode, there are four more buttons labeled "Front", "Rear", "Left", and "Right". There is no provision for raising one jack at a time. During manual lowering of the jacks, I can lower any one jack at a time, or both rear jacks by pushing the "Rear" button. However, even in the manual mode, the respective jack will only lower to the point of the coach being level....even if I keep pushing the button. My manual says that when I use the manual mode to ALWAYS lower the front jack first!

When I push the retract button, it will retract the front jack first and put all the front weight on the front tires prior to raising the rear jacks.

By the way, since my Safari is really a Monaco with different clothes on, the manual does say to run out the slides first then level. When leaving, I have to retract the jacks, start the engine and air up the bags and then turn the engine off and retract the slides. This is exactly what I do.

One thing I've read several times on different posts on this subject is the fact that some Monaco's can start the engine with the jacks down. When I tried to do this, the jacks automatically retracted. I guess it is some safety interlock so that you can't drive off with the jacks down.

Those of you who do NOT have a Monaco product (Monaco, Beaver, Holiday Rambler, and Safari) will probably all have a required different method of when to extend and/or retract your slides. Therefore, telling a Monaco product owner what your procedure is, is totally irrelevant!

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Shipper

Lower Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/11 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

03FatBoyExactly wrote:

This discussion has been beat to death on the forum. Some of you sound like my DW! Finally got out the owner's manual and showed her, slides out, dump bags, and then level; air bags, retract jacks, and then bring in the slides when getting ready to depart. Monaco support will definitely give you the info you need.

I agree it's been beat to death, but explain to me how you can dump the bags and then level. You have to run the engine to level and the compressors fill the bags as you level. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have tried it and have to dump after I level and I have a Monaco 8 bagger.

GEEZERS love GASSERS
"I'm not insensitive, It's probably that I just don't care!"

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/11 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have to run my engine to level. My leveling system (jacks) runs off of 12vdc. Once jacks are retracted (again with 12v), then I start the engine to air up the suspension. Are you sure you have to run your engine to activate the jacks?? My Safari is a 4-bagger.

Ron

Shipper

Lower Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/11 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lanerd wrote:

I don't have to run my engine to level. My leveling system (jacks) runs off of 12vdc. Once jacks are retracted (again with 12v), then I start the engine to air up the suspension. Are you sure you have to run your engine to activate the jacks?? My Safari is a 4-bagger.Ron

I am corrected! I assumed that because my ignition was on and everything was beeping that I had to start the engine. I knew it didn't work on the accessory position and just assumed I shouldn't leave the ignition in the start position without starting the engine. Guess I will now do it the factory way irregardless of all the bells and whistles. Thanks!

PS: Can you activate your levelers without using the ignition?

* This post was edited 11/09/11 05:39pm by Shipper *

wilpower

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/11 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shipper wrote:

explain to me how you can dump the bags and then level

Very simple, dump the air, turn engine OFF, turn key to ACC mode, level.

Wil & Cyndi & Einstein (African Gray)

Shipper

Lower Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/11 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilpower wrote:

Shipper wrote:

explain to me how you can dump the bags and then level

Very simple, dump the air, turn engine OFF, turn key to ACC mode, level.

That's the way I thought it had to work, but I get nada on the levelers when I turn the key to accessory. Sounds like we have different systems.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Level first....slides out first?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS