RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tracfone Calls to Canada - How?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Tracfone Calls to Canada - How?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
vwsportbug

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/11 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a Tracfone to use for local calls and calls back to Canada from Florida. Their literature seemed to indicate that this would be no problem. BUT every time I try to call a Canadian number I get a "Restriction 56" message and the call won't go through.

Any idea on how I can make this work for calls back to Ontario?

VeeDub
2006 Carriage Cameo LXI F35FD3
2006 Ford F350 Dually

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/11 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps you have to authorize Canadian access?

I call Verizon and for $20/month additional I get Canadian access throught Telco. Don't even know I crossed the border.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

GrandmaCarol

Cadiz, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/11 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before our last trip through Canada, I asked Tracfone if I could use it there, and they basicly told me my account would immediately be deleted if I tried it! You might want to call their customer service and see why you were misled.

southwoods46

Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/11 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the OP is asking about using the Tracfone while in the US to call Canada.
I have a Net 10 phone, the sister to Tracfone. I must use an access number before calling the number in Canada. I am wondering if you need the same for your Tracfone. Call them and ask if you need it and what the number is. Once the access number is dialed, follow the prompts and hopefully this will work for you. Hope this helps.
Yes, calling from Canada with Tracfone or Net 10 will suspend the number.

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/11 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How to call

Tracfone has teamed up with Auris Technology to provide this service. Once you’ve purchased and activated your Tracfone, you dial the Tracfone international access number and then dial the international number. As long as you call to one of these countries there are no additional charges.

Frequent Numbers

Because it is cumbersome to have to dial the Tracfone international access number each time, you can designate up to ten numbers as Frequent Numbers for your international calls. Tracfone then assigns a special "800" number for each of those Frequent Numbers. Then when you dial the 800 number, you are connected to your international calls. You don't have to go through calling the access number and going through the menus. You just need to go here to set up these numbers."

The links didn't come through. Just go the Tracphone website and you will getall the info you need, as state above.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2011 Keystone 23rks Hideout to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/11 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4. INTERNATIONAL CALLS
You may now use your TRACFONE to make international calls to landlines (including some cellular phones in some countries) at no additional charge (See www.tracfone.com for available countries and details). The available countries are subject to change without prior notice. In order to place an international call, you will need to dial the international long distance access number 1-800-706-3839 and follow the instructions. From Alaska, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands you will need to dial 305-938-5673 as the international long distance access number. Airtime deductions for international calls begin the moment the International Long Distance ("ILD") access number is dialed and apply to dropped calls, misdialed numbers and busy destination numbers. When making international calls, you may experience connection failures more frequently than calls made within the United States. TracFone Wireless will not credit airtime minutes deducted for unsuccessful calls. You will not be able to make or receive calls on your TRACFONE when you are located outside of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

TRACFONE International Neighbors is a service that enables callers in Mexico and Canada to set up a local number to ring on a TRACFONE in the US. (Please call 1-800-867-7183 for details).

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

vwsportbug

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/11 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turned out my Tracfone wasn't set up to make International calls for some reason. I just spent an hour on the phone (via Skype) with Tracfone's customer service and they were able to change my phone by adding some kind of code so that it would work for calls to Canada.

Then, by using the international access 1-800 # and then the area code and number I wanted, the call finally went through. They even reimbursed me for the Tracfone minutes I had wasted while trying to get my call through.

Good customer service even if it did take a long time!

Thanks to all who responded.....

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to set up a local number back home so family can call you for free.

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/11 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slightly off topic, but TracFone is an indication of how us Canadians get "hosed" for our cell service. I had a TracFone last winter here in the south but I let the service lapse. I needed a new SIM according to the TracFone folks to re-activate the phone and they would have to send it to me (kind of difficult when you are on the move!) so I decided to ditch the phone and get another one.

Wal Mart had the phones for $2.99 (phone, charger, hands free stuff,case and bonus minutes when you buy the prepaid card), I bought a prepaid card and I now have 150 minutes and days of service!!

I will add some days over the summer to keep the phone active for next winter. I paid less for the TracFone setup than 1 month of service on my Rogers Canadian service.

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/11 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We only vacation in the US a few times a year , but we found that an ATT Pay as you Go phone works well for us. Most of our friends that travel to the US like us also have ATT as we can call each other for free from anywhere in the US.
We have had the same phone number for 4 years now so its very handy for family if they needed to contact us. If we do not use the phone there is no daily charge at all and the minute charges are very reasonable.
Yes we tried the Rogers Roaming Addition and it was very expensive.
JM2CW

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Tracfone Calls to Canada - How?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska