RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Temporary/Part-timer Internet Access

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Temporary/Part-timer Internet Access

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
loggenrock

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/11 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi gang - we part-time in our rig - trips of 3 to 5 weeks at a time a couple times a year... I am looking for a cost-effective (read: cheap!) solution to internet on the road. Right now I depend on WiFi hotspots at campgrounds, McD's, etc. and my laptop - am wondering if there are any pay-as-you-go smart-type phones/hotspots/etc. We just have "dumb" cellphones - data rates are too high if I change plans/tether. Can I get a "disposable" cellphone at WalMart that would allow me to use it as a hotspot for the month-at-a-time trips we do? Any ideas appreciated! ST

Two and a hound in a 2003 Roadtrek 190P and a pair of Limmers...
First 50 done, working on the second pass!

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/11 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't think you are going to find anything cheaper than adding tethering. AT&T prorates it by the day so you just add the feature and when you are done you remove the feature. It is not a plan.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

TubaPete

Comstock Park, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/11 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get a wireless modem for Verizon and others at places like Walmart that you can then set up as a pay as you go plan. In the case of Verizon you can't do it at their store, they only will offer the full plan. But you can get pay as you go at Walmart. It is pricey but if you only use it for a few weeks a year like we do, it may work out.

Tuba Pete

Pepperoni

Ypsilanti, Michigan 48198

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/11 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Virginmobile Broadband2Go

$80 for the hardware, $50 for each month of use. No ontract, no penalty for stopping service.

You can renew using a debit card, but it will become active immediately. best way is to load with a top-up PIN card== device will hold up to $200 and applies payment when YOU choose.

Uses the Sprint network.

I now own three, with one inactive this month. Going on the road in a few days. I have no worries about connections.

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/11 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Verizon offers daily internet (not cheap but if you seldom use it for only email it might work). In addition you can put the Mi-Fi on "vacation" and not be billed when you're at home (may be limitations). I have the Verizon Mi-Fi and love it. The software allows you to use either their service or free wi-fi and lists locations where free wi-fi is available. You can also access rv park free wi-fi using their software. Check it out at www.verizonwireless.com

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

LewMichele&Paws

At a gas station in Cowlitz County WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/11 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get the mi-fi from Verizon, ATT or whomever you will have to sign up for a long term plan. If you buy the mi-fi unit from Amazon, Radio Shack or even a store like Target then you can just sign up with your carrier for a month at a time. There will be no long-term contract.

'06 Ford F350 V10 CC 4X4 SB auto 4.10
'01 Arctic Fox 235H (5'er)

Don't lose your head...to save a minute...you need your head...your brains are in it...Burma Shave

States visited in our RV...

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on Virginmobile.
We use it only while on the road so $10 for 10 days is perfect.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

I have the VirginMobile Broadband2Go and am giving up on it. Coverage is horrendous. We drove 19,000 miles, 26 states over 100 days this year and used it but once. The rest of the time, SE Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and northern Minnesota mostly it was next to useless. If you are going to use a mobile hotspot, VerizonWireless is the number one way to go and AT&T second.

Check your planned and favorite destinations and coverage before choosing a mobile hotspot device and plan. Sprint (w/ VirginMobile) and T-Mobile might be OK where you live stationary but are not good RV solutions, IMO.

Must be something wrong with your setup. We criss-crossed the States from NE to SW twice and had coverage all the way to AZ as soon as we crossed the border.

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the VirginMobile Broadband2Go and am giving up on it. Coverage is horrendous. We drove 19,000 miles, 26 states over 100 days this year and used it but once. The rest of the time, SE Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and northern Minnesota mostly it was next to useless. If you are going to use a mobile hotspot, VerizonWireless is the number one way to go and AT&T second.

Check your planned and favorite destinations and coverage before choosing a mobile hotspot device and plan. Sprint (w/ VirginMobile) and T-Mobile might be OK where you live stationary but are not good RV solutions, IMO.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

hugemoth

Bend

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/11 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what I'm using and so far I'm very happy with it, using it right now at Quartzsite. Bought it at Walmart for $59 and found $20 per month gives me plenty of internet time, 30 days and 1000 megs. When you run out it takes just a minute to ad more from the internet. You can check coverage areas on their site to see if it'll work where you need it.

Q

Pepperoni wrote:

I use Virginmobile Broadband2Go

$80 for the hardware, $50 for each month of use. No ontract, no penalty for stopping service.

You can renew using a debit card, but it will become active immediately. best way is to load with a top-up PIN card== device will hold up to $200 and applies payment when YOU choose.

Uses the Sprint network.

I now own three, with one inactive this month. Going on the road in a few days. I have no worries about connections.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Temporary/Part-timer Internet Access
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS