|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 1997 Newmar London Aire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/11 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is at a no reserve auction near me.
1997 Newmar London Aire, Cummins 8.3 L, 325 hp, exhaust brake, Allison A/T, A/R susp, 1 slide, 71K miles. Photos look great, of course.

Assuming it looks good in person, what price would be a steal, given that it can't be test-driven or put through a full inspection? A basic eyeball inspection is possible, plus maybe starting it up.

Or is it not a good model to begin with?

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)
Going soon: 2004 Crossroads Cruiser 28RL 5er

rlc 19888

Greentown, In.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/11 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snowman:

The London Air is made mainly for the owners of Newmar, they use them for a year then get rid of them. It is the cadalic of the newmar units. Go to newmar.com and price them now Probably starting near $750,000 if engine in good shape and service been done that cummins is good for one heck of a lot of miles. I would not be afraid of it if engine is good.

michahicks

Waterford/Gaylord, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To get that price, you'll have to know/learn more about what it's going to take to bring it up to snuff. The price to do that can vary dramatically depending on if you're doing the work (willing AND able?) or paying to have it done. If there are no service records available, going through it from front to rear servicing EVERYTHING that should have been done to it previously can be an expensive headache as well - even if you're doing it yourself. This'll be important as you'll need to establish a baseline for future service intervals! Then there's likely going to be a set of tires involved...

All this assuming the body is solid and even worth working on?

I've seen some awesome deals arising from no reserve auctions. Personally though, I think they're for the very experienced, or the very lucky...

1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On that year London Aire, they were NOT built even to 2002 DSDP standards. It is a relic for those years (mid to upper 90's). You need to check the condition of the entry door. They had a problem with them getting loose and are expensive to replace if Newmar even still has those doors. London Aire's were NOT made just for the Miller owner family. They were built on a production line and usually 5 at a time, up to 30 or 40 per year depending on the orders. The London Aire back then and up until the mid 2000 was the top of the line for Newmar until the King Aire came out. Yes, the PROTOTYPE London aires were built for the Miller family, but they were regular production motorhomes. The prototype motorhomes by Newmar for the Miller family usually had some features that were not an option on the production models. Doug

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If in better than average condition, I would say anything around $35k should be good.....it books for about 50k...Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlc 19888 wrote:

Snowman:

The London Air is made mainly for the owners of Newmar, they use them for a year then get rid of them. It is the cadalic of the newmar units. Go to newmar.com and price them now Probably starting near $750,000 if engine in good shape and service been done that cummins is good for one heck of a lot of miles. I would not be afraid of it if engine is good.

(Gulp)

Is that "$750,000" a typo?

I hope?

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

eheading

Lakeland, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me, as much as I admire the London Aire I would be very careful that it is not an "all electric" coach. We had a customer on an RV caravan in that time frame with an "all electric" London Aire and it was a disaster. It did not have enough battery capacity to make it work well. He had to run his generator whenever he wasn't hooked up to shore power. I was not impressed with that feature at all.

Ed Headington
2005 Revolution LE
2004 Tracker toad

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, Newmar certainly has a great reputation (based on anecdotal evidence and my own research gathered over several years). If something like that popped up near me and I was in the market for a DP, I'd certainly consider it. The best you can do is thoroughly inspect the unit and listen to it run, and see if you can operate all the systems including running the genset and ACs, furnace(s), etc. Maybe the former owner(s) left the service records in a cabinet in the unit; I'd look thoroughly for them. If there's anything wrong with it, be sure it's something you can fix or get fixed for the right price, and take that into consideration in your bid. And try not to get carried away if the bidding gets too high. Good luck and let us know if you meet with success.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

gonesouth

Tatamagouche, NS

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

rlc 19888 wrote:

Snowman:

(Gulp)

I hope?

Yes, $750,000 list price for a new one today sounds about right. That coach was probably about $400,000 list in 1997 and with a NADA retail of about $50,000 today you should be able to find one selling for about $40,000.....And that's if it's not one of the famous all-electric London Aires Ed mentioned above. From what I've read and seen the wiring was too light in the all electric ones and after they were two or three months old and had a little corrosion on the breakers the regular electrical loads were enough to pop breakers and cause other breakdowns. With current power demands from computers, wifi, phone chargers, etc., you may be looking at major rewiring jobs. But you'd have a great coach once you were done.

As the owner of a rescue coach, I'd encourage you to get it if the price is right, and if you and your friends have some electrical and mechanical skills.

Looking for Free Wifi I noticed SSID " HRM_Police_Surveillance_Van_#2" Think it's safe to connect?
fulltime 6 months/year FMCA 368297
98 Beaver Marquis, one slide, CAT425HP, 2 stg Jake, Allison MD4060, Aquahot, 10KwOnan, 3Kw Xantrex, HWH Air Levelling

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/11 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gonesouth wrote:

Francesca Knowles wrote:

rlc 19888 wrote:

Snowman:

(Gulp)

I hope?

Yes, $750,000 list price for a new one today sounds about right. That coach was probably about $400,000 list in 1997 and with a NADA retail of about $50,000 today you should be able to find one selling for about $40,000.....And that's if it's not one of the famous all-electric London Aires Ed mentioned above. From what I've read and seen the wiring was too light in the all electric ones and after they were two or three months old and had a little corrosion on the breakers the regular electrical loads were enough to pop breakers and cause other breakdowns. With current power demands from computers, wifi, phone chargers, etc., you may be looking at major rewiring jobs. But you'd have a great coach once you were done.

As the owner of a rescue coach, I'd encourage you to get it if the price is right, and if you and your friends have some electrical and mechanical skills.

A new one today would be $0. The London Aire was so disliked that it has been discontinued.

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 1997 Newmar London Aire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes