RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: I Found the Gray Tank Leak!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> I Found the Gray Tank Leak!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Aluminum Siding

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was reading pilot4net’s thread about his gray tank leaking and that he found at the tub. Mine has been leaking since I got it and it bugged the heck out of me. It would leak when it got full and it leaked off the top of the tank down on to the ground. I went in the TT and followed all the lines. The restroom sink drains to the black tank. The shower drains to the breather pipe which drains to the gray tank under/in the closet. The kitchen sink drains for a few feet under the cabinets and then connects to the top of the gray tank under the fridge. I wiggled that connection and it was completely broken. I tore the plate off the floor around the pipe and the threaded connector into the top of the gray thank had broken clean off. The busted thread piece was still threaded into the thank. I cut it out with a hack saw blade and it fell into the tank. I’m gonna have to take the drain pipe off to get the piece out. Otherwise it could restrict the water flow. The connection in the closet is also cracked. I’m so happy. About $10 at the Home Depot and It’ll be all fixed. I’m very happy with Fleetwood. My 94 Mallard is made so that I can easily get to everything in the event something breaks. I’ll post some picts of the fix when I do it.

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job!

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good work.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

hilandfrog

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum Siding wrote:

....I wiggled that connection and it was completely broken. I tore the plate off the floor around the pipe and the threaded connector into the top of the gray thank had broken clean off. The busted thread piece was still threaded into the thank. I cut it out with a hack saw blade and it fell into the tank....

Have you thought about using rubber "slip" fitting as they don't require glue and they allow for movement and absorb vibrations from movement and the road....?

Repo

05 Tundra 4x4
1976' SIX PAC, cut to size and function.
$800 1977' Road Ranger, not yet road worthy (AUG '11')

hilandfrog

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 11:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum Siding wrote:

hilandfrog wrote:

Aluminum Siding wrote:

....I wiggled that connection and it was completely broken. I tore the plate off the floor around the pipe and the threaded connector into the top of the gray thank had broken clean off. The busted thread piece was still threaded into the thank. I cut it out with a hack saw blade and it fell into the tank....

Have you thought about using rubber "slip" fitting as they don't require glue and they allow for movement and absorb vibrations from movement and the road....?

Repo

Now that's why I sighed up for this forum. I will totally use one of those. Never thought of it. This will make the job much easier especially in the breather I won't have to crack the caulking on the roof to lift the pole when I replace the one on the breather end. This will also allow for movement.
Thanks again. I'm going to do the job sometime this week so I'll post some photos. I figure at worst folks would like to see how the pipes connect to the gray tanks.

I just bought 2 at our local RV place for $4.95 each, 1 1/2".

They have a "fat" end with a grove, the bottom of the grooved rubber fits inside, while the other is on outside of tank, I used dish washing soap to help "slip it in" to the tank and a little more to get the pipe in the slip.

Have fun on your project

Repo

Aluminum Siding

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/11 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hilandfrog wrote:

Aluminum Siding wrote:

Repo

Now that's why I sighed up for this forum. I will totally use one of those. Never thought of it. This will make the job much easier especially in the breather I won't have to crack the caulking on the roof to lift the pole when I replace the one on the breather end. This will also allow for movement.
Thanks again. I'm going to do the job sometime this week so I'll post some photos. I figure at worst folks would like to see how the pipes connect to the gray tanks.

Aluminum Siding

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 01:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hilandfrog wrote:

Aluminum Siding wrote:

hilandfrog wrote:

Aluminum Siding wrote:

Repo

I just bought 2 at our local RV place for $4.95 each, 1 1/2".

They have a "fat" end with a grove, the bottom of the grooved rubber fits inside, while the other is on outside of tank, I used dish washing soap to help "slip it in" to the tank and a little more to get the pipe in the slip.

Have fun on your project

Repo

Can you post a link to a pict of what you used? Thanks Mike.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> I Found the Gray Tank Leak!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS