RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Quick question about that corner moldings

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Quick question about that corner moldings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SoakedKarma

Reno neh-va-duh

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vladen wrote:

Time consuming, Me I think I'd just go back in with 100% silicone window an door caulk.

err removal? probably a plastic scraper, Paint thinner may soften the old stuff up some too
While silicone will work, Their are problems down the road as you will never fully remove silicone once applied.. making future surface adhesion of any other product nearly impossible..
vladen wrote:

heres a product if you want to go Dicor

https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roof-products/replace/ultra-sealant/
Not sure what the makeup of Dicor Ultra Sealant is and web site does not indicate if its a silicone based product.. I for one would look into it tho

Aluminum Siding

So Cal

View Profile

I did mine and it’s about an hour a corner. A quick and easy fix would be to get some butyl putty tape, which is what’s on there now. Let it sit in the sun for about 30 min to get really soft. You can smush it in all the crevices where there is gaps. Again that’s the quick cheap and easy method. I do this sometimes around my windows. I do not like caulking it’s a dirty mess and impossible to remove when it starts wearing and coming apart in the future. It also looks really bad it not in perfect. To do it correctly, Remove the plastic strip from the corner molding. Get a drill bit socket. You’ll have the screws out in no time. Remove the molding and scrape off the old butyl tape. It removes very easily. Get a roll of at least 1 inch but 1 and ½ inch works best. Roll the tape down the corner and form it to the sides. Put you molding back and screw it on Smush the putty in all the crevices that have gaps. Run a putty knife along both sides of the molding to clean the parts that oozed out. You’ll have to do that again in a week or so as it will still be forming to the corner of the trailer. You can get Butyl Putty Tape at most trailer shops or order it online. By the way. Yours doesn’t look too bad but a tiny trickle of water could get in it you didn’t fix it.

rgolding

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

"Purchased 6/3/2010 is why it's not under warranty.
Does this constitute 'coming apart at the corners?"

It seems that at least deserves a contact to the manufacturer with a statement from the service department? Is the service department at the same dealership where you bought the trailer?

Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan

2005 ARCTIC FOX 30U "Life's Good!"
2009 Chevy 2500HD Diesel w/ Allison Transmission

selectsplat

Chesterfield, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgolding wrote:

"Purchased 6/3/2010 is why it's not under warranty.
Does this constitute 'coming apart at the corners?"

It seems that at least deserves a contact to the manufacturer with a statement from the service department? Is the service department at the same dealership where you bought the trailer?

Yeah, same dealer. They've treated me well in the past, so I'll see if I can work something from that angle.

Thanks.

2011 Heartland Trail Runner 27FQBS
2010 Bayliner 175
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L iForce 4wd
2003 Chevy Trailblazer 4.3L 4wd
2006 EZGO PDS
Thousand Trails Memeber

selectsplat

Chesterfield, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm leaning in this direction. It doens't sounds too hard, jsut time consuming. Can you tell me how/where to removoe the plastic strip?

Also, are you sure this is butyl tape and that it comes off easily? I've heard other say I need some sort of liquid remover?

Finally, is the 'putty' you refer to a seperate product than the butyl tape? If not, is it a seperate substance that comes with the product? Or are you referring to the butyl tape when you say 'putty'?

Aluminum Siding wrote:

To do it correctly, Remove the plastic strip from the corner molding. Get a drill bit socket. You’ll have the screws out in no time. Remove the molding and scrape off the old butyl tape. It removes very easily. Get a roll of at least 1 inch but 1 and ½ inch works best. Roll the tape down the corner and form it to the sides. Put you molding back and screw it on Smush the putty in all the crevices that have gaps. Run a putty knife along both sides of the molding to clean the parts that oozed out. You’ll have to do that again in a week or so as it will still be forming to the corner of the trailer. You can get Butyl Putty Tape at most trailer shops or order it online. By the way. Yours doesn’t look too bad but a tiny trickle of water could get in it you didn’t fix it.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He is using butyl tape and putty interchangeably. The butyl tape is basically a long roll of sticky putty with a paper backing. You stick the putty to the surface you want to seal and then peel off the backing.

As far as removing the trim, the most outermost part of the trim is a slightly domed plastic cover that you can just pinch with your thumb and forefinger to separate it from the sides and pull it out. There are screws under the plastic that holds the trim on. You can see the little domes really well in your second and third picture.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

selectsplat wrote:

Bonefish wrote:

If the pictures are from the 2011 Heartland Trail Runner 27FQBS.

Why would it not be covered under warranty if it is coming apart at the corners?

Bonefish

Purchased 6/3/2010 is why it's not under warranty.

Does this constitute 'coming apart at the corners? I sorta felt like this was pretty typical. Again, forgive my ignorance.

Our camper was purchased in April 04 and I when back and checked. We had an axle hanger break in March 06 which Forest River paid for the total repair. It is 2011 and have never had the caulking pull loose yet.

When we purchased our camper new some items (microwave, tv, stereo) had a year warranty but frame and structure was two years. The Dometic refrig was three years. You really need to check into it and fast. I had to do some digging to find out for ours. There was even an extended warrenty on the refrig.

Bonefish

* This post was edited 11/21/11 04:15pm by Bonefish *

SoakedKarma

Reno neh-va-duh

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

butyl is quite sticky and will sag somewhat in the heat.. any sagging material can be removed with knife blade.. Clean up sticky fingers and any smudges on TT body with Mineral Spirits/Paint Thinner.. Won't hurt paint.. May loosen graphics..

selectsplat

Chesterfield, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, that's all I really needs is the butyl tape? No dicor or anything?

And this butyl tape will come off pretty easily? Nothing else to clean off?

opnspaces wrote:

He is using butyl tape and putty interchangeably. The butyl tape is basically a long roll of sticky putty with a paper backing. You stick the putty to the surface you want to seal and then peel off the backing.

As far as removing the trim, the most outermost part of the trim is a slightly domed plastic cover that you can just pinch with your thumb and forefinger to separate it from the sides and pull it out. There are screws under the plastic that holds the trim on. You can see the little domes really well in your second and third picture.

Old Hammer Boy

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/11 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you decide to remove the old stuff, WD-40 works great when removing those little remaining chunks of residue from the butyl tape. I discovered that when I removed a sink.

I hope you will enjoy reading my journal about my bicycle ride, camping all the way across America at www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/dean. We also RV in our '07 Starcraft Travel Star 23QB, pulled with a good old stout Isuzu Trooper. It works

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Quick question about that corner moldings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS