|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Suspension on F350

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AirLiftCompany wrote:

When loaded down you may be forcing the truck onto the overload springs.

???

If they weren't meant to be used, what's the point of having them?

"Overload springs" is just as big a misnomer as "1/2 ton truck." The springs aren't really there so you can overload (i.e. put too much weight in) the truck.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

WAM

CALIFORNIA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/11 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AirLiftCompany wrote:

Your truck does not have to ride on the overload spring to carry any additional weight, only once it gets to a certain point of load will your truck sag enough for these to engage. Once you are riding on the overload spring your ride will suffer.

I also disagree with this statement if I'm reading it correctly. I have never put a full size camper onto a stock truck and not had the overloads come immediately into contact. AirLiftCompany seems to indicate that's not the norm. I think it is. Perhaps they were not thinking of Camper-load when they said it -- but this IS the camper forum.

Who out there are running a full-size cabover camper on a stock truck and have gaps under your overload springs? Maybe it's a marque thing.

2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4
Alpenlite 9.5 Cheyenne slide-in

gpascazio

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,
Thanks for all your help. So, now I am really confused. A lot of the recommendations on this forum are to switch out the stock shocks, two suspension shops have told me to get rid of the Timbrens and modify the leafs. One shop says, add two leafs the other says one. As a matter of fact one of the shops told me that the Timbrens tend to split and cut the rear break hoses. So now I am also worried that on a long trip I could loose my brakes. Has anyone heard of this happening on their Timbrens? What I was thinking of doing before the two suspension shops was to switch-out the stock shocks with Rancho shocks and my ride remote and if that didn't do the trick to add Super Springs.

2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

arto_wa

SW, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added the Rancho 9000 shocks and Torklift Stable Loads as the first steps in improving the ride.
They made a big improvement and I will leave it like that for awhile.

Later I may try adding a set of second overload springs, just to get a little firmer ride in the back.

* This post was edited 01/08/12 11:26am by arto_wa *

99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 10.6
89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

FF1063

NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 01/28/12 09:19am by FF1063 *

jjj

Lancaster,Ca.U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a T.C. but I suffered the same problem with my fiver. I had the timbrens on it and though they worked good when loaded they gave me a harsh bounce when I hit a big bump and here in Calif. there are a lot of big bumps on our crappy roads so I took them off and just run on my over loads and no more harsh bumps. Like others say it could be the timbrens on the kind of load you have.

2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

FolsomBrad

El Dorado Hills, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had just air bags at first and had lots of bounce and sway. My truck doesn't have overload springs. My ride improved dramatically, becoming much more stable after I put on Rancho 9000s. The remote adjust for them would be a nice luxury, but it takes about 60 seconds to adjust them by hand. I subsequently installed a sway bar, which reduced the sway around corners about 20 percent more.

2010 Ford F-250 4X4 Diesel with 2009 Lance 845
Happijac Tie-Downs
Firestone Airbags
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
Hellwig Bigwig Sway Bar

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timbrens can be harsh, but they could just be out of adjustment If they are set too tight, they will be fully compressed.

I have a question. Are you riding on overloads now?

What many of us went to is airbags, plus adjustable shocks, plus extended bump stops to make the overloads engage.

The shocks primarily affect sway. Air bags can help the ride quality, but when you fill them, the overloads don't engage which is why we add bump stop extensions.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what I would do-

-Eliminate the Timbrens.

-Put Bilstein (HD yellow), KYB (Gas-A-Just or MonoMax) or Rancho (9000X or 9000XL) shocks on all 4 corners.

-Add one leaf to each overload, so there are 2 overload leafs per side.

-Add Stable Load overload spacers, so the overloads become effective sooner and more positively.

If only adding the one leaf to the overloads isn't enough, then add one leaf to the main packs too. Try just the additional overload leaf first though.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

TCcruzn

Santa Cruz, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are getting much more valuable advice from fellow TC'ers than you will get from a suspension shop or an air bag company.
I suggest an incremental approach which can save money and helps you understand how each component affects the ride quality.
The common thread is to start with new shocks. I chose Rancho 9000.You need new shocks no matter what anyway.
Then install Torklift Stableloads. They are the most low cost suspension option with the greatest effect, providing you still have the factory overloads. You can install them in your driveway in less than an hour.
You will probably not need the timbrens at this point.
Try it this way for a few trips before decidng about airbags. Your F350 may handle it without them.
One other detail to keep track of is your tire pressure.
Have fun

2005 F250 4x4 CC SB V10,Rancho 9000,Tough Country winch bumper, 13500# Superwinch,Firestone airbags,Yaesu 2900
2008 Lance 830,200w AMsolar,BZ highvoltage controller
Yamaha EF2000
2012 Lund 1650 Rebel XL
1967 Honda Trail 90 (on the front bumper)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Suspension on F350
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS